American Signal Crayfish

I've spent a few hours all together yesterday/today on fisherpersons blog, there's one or two decent links to information regarding alien plants & creatures & for anyone interested it would pass an hour or two.

But this post is not about advertising his blog.

It's in regard to one of the slots on his blog, it's only a couple of paragraphs but in this short note he says that posts on this forum regarding getting rid of crayfish beggars belief.

I'm fully aware he's entitled to his opinion but I would have thought if he had reason to disagree with any remarks he read on here he'd have the confidence to point them out & educate us.

But apparently not, he has how ever deemed it worthy of a mention on his blog.

This post is not to get a response from the members of this forum apart from fisherperson of course, if he has addressed any erroneous remarks in his posts on here could he point them out. I for one would appreciate it.

I've spent a few hours all together yesterday/today on fisherpersons blog, there's one or two decent links to information regarding alien plants & creatures & for anyone interested it would pass an hour or two.

But this post is not about advertising his blog.

It's in regard to one of the slots on his blog, it's only a couple of paragraphs but in this short note he says that posts on this forum regarding getting rid of crayfish beggars belief.

I'm fully aware he's entitled to his opinion but I would have thought if he had reason to disagree with any remarks he read on here he'd have the confidence to point them out & educate us.

But apparently not, he has how ever deemed it worthy of a mention on his blog.

This post is not to get a response from the members of this forum apart from fisherperson of course, if he has addressed any erroneous remarks in his posts on here could he point them out. I for one would appreciate it.

One of the reasons I don't go on a lot of forums a lot is this attitude.What starts off as a decent debate finishes up as a slagging match.To reiterate what I said and this will be the finish on my posts are:-Yes it does begger belief when people like yourself cannot understand the places that animals have in the bio security of the water system.If Signal Crayfish and Knotweed are left unchallenged,they will probably kill the invertrabates of the rivers,but this will in turn stop the fish breeding (because there is nothing to eat),that in turn will stop the kingfishers eating fish because there wont be any). The otters will die because no there are no fish in the river.The river will become a lot wider and shallower because signal crayfish are burrowing animals along with knotweed and Balsam they degrade the riverbanks,thus causing siltation and problems for butterflies and birds. When the balsam and knotweed dies back it leaves bald patches what with signal crayfish burrowing and knotweed on the other end rivers could start to silt up causing more of a problem for flood protection. Killing signal Crayfish is not a solution and will only cause more problems. Harvesting them will cause problem, white clayed crayfish are not a problem because they are part of the ecosystem we have in Britain.Signal crayfish, balsam,knotweed, mitten crabs are and will and do cause a problem to our native species. So you start off with guys saying, but its only a signal crayfish and finish up with people who may get flooded out. So yes I stand by my remarks by saying it beggers belief cause it does. The actual quote is look at some of the commentsts from anglers on how to get rid of them on the Sheffield Forum.It beggars belief! The key word is some Please read and understand what is written before you make presumptions.

I have read & understand every word written by your self, what you've written on here is not in question.

However what you've written on your blog is what my gripe is. Your quote regarding members ideas on here ending with "beggars belief" sounds a bit rich when you advertise you being a fishing coach. Especially when one of the categories covered in your coaching itinerary involves gutting & cooking peoples catch it's those words that indeed beggar belief to me.

When inexperienced anglers on here ask can you eat what you catch, the response on this particular forum is to point out it would be a bad idea to eat fish from the local venues.

Not to advocate it by offering lessons in order to make a few quid. All this after berating Otters & even Seals for being fish eaters. Now that smacks to me as double standards, to say animals that eat fish should be controled but I'll show you how to gut & cook your catch.

Then again the members on here right or wrong try to help the less experienced angler for free.

You said a few threads ago that you sometimes get things wrong and find it hard to decipher the net.Well first of all have a look at our web.You know the address.It states quite categorically that we use Rainbow Trout to cook.If I am not mistaken this whole thread was about indigenous and alien species and I'm sure you know that Rainbow are not native to this country .They do however bred in one or two of our rivers The Derbyshire Wye being one, private fly fishery's do stock with them (Lady bower,Toft Newton and others)as they are very good to eat and usually die in the first winter. In fact only triploid and diploid rainbow can be stocked and this has to be verified by the E.A. So we do have a cookery part to our courses this is not to make a "few quid" as you put it,but to show that fish does come in other forms than in batter. As you also failed to tell people it also said that this part of the course could be used as part of healthy eating .I would like to see where I have berated seals or otters, although it could be argued that seals become alien when in freshwater as they are a saltwater mammal as opposed to the otter which is freshwater and can be found locally. I said alien species that eat fish or degrade the ecosystem should be eradicated because they do not have natural predators in this ecosystem to eat them.I do believe that fish owners should be given the same permission as professional fishermen have with seals and farmers have with dogs and foxes when worrying or eating there stock! That is if all other methods fail the owner should be able to shoot them,but only the one that is causing the problem.Not a cull of otters and seals!

On the question of charging people for fishing lessons,I am by professiona fly fishing instructor,could you tell me if I didn't charge,who would pay for bait, time, venues fuel etc..Im sure you don't work for nothing or do you? I give my time freely to Help the heros (fishing) Casting for recovery and also help with fishing in a school for learning and physical disabilities in Derby. I also work in a rea of social and economical deprivation with the kids of that area and charge each guy a quid a night.Thats usually for approx two hours work sometimes Saturday mornings and occasionally a trip to a fishing venue out of Sheffield which is free from me,but not usually the mini bus driver or the fishery owner.This post started off as a honest debate about alien and indeginous species.It has gone off at a tangent and you now seem to be questioning me and my ethics and not my opinions.I do however suggest that if you do read articles on the net or peoples webs you actually quote what is there and not what you presume to be there.

Edited by Fisherperson
Not finished the thread

I agree I lost my temper & made several errors of judgment in my posts, at my age that's out of order & I really should know better. For that I profusely apologise.

In my defence I still believe it's out of order for you to advertise a gut & cook section on your blog.

Especially at a time when every angling association & angling forum is trying to persuade Eastern Europeans that anglers in the UK practise catch & release.

Its not on my blog its on my web.Not all British anglers practice catch and release. Salmon fishers can still take a fish in England after the 1st of June, but must not before . I think that at Lady bower, all trout caught over the size of 12inches have to be killed. Toft newton also has a policy that you can kill a fish "for the pot" The E.A also don't rule out the taking of fish for the pot,however certain species you cant take,the Atlantic eels being one.

Most coarse fisheries have their own rules.One of the clubs I'm in will not let anglers take pike over I think its about 4 pound,I don't take fish except sometimes a rainbow "for the pot"and only if the the fishery rules allows it. i.e Ladybower and the likes of them. Anyway that's all I have to say on the matter,except are eastern Europeans indigenous to this country or are they alien causing a problem on our fisheries.Live and let live,I think you said that on an earlier post!

Edited by Fisherperson
bad grammer

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of any fishing sites in South Yorkshire where Signal Crayfish have been sited, and has anyone tasted them before.

cheers ALAN

Barlow trout fisherie seen loads of them in the edge and have even caught them before.yes i have tasted em i took some out of the course fishing lakes there very nice great for makeing your own boilies too

Mke sure you put the native british ones back though,the thinking on cray fish is that they are bad the red signal ones any how .but the other side to the coin is i think that the reason carp chub and barbel are getting so big is that they are def eating them.i have seen french fish at abbey under the trees in what i call the tv swim eating one they loved it and great to see them turned on to these critters.....tyke.if you thinking of trapping some im sure that the bloke a barlow will let you take the red signals out,trapps are easy to make out of a old keep net use a dead fish has bait

why not 'accidentaly catch' some of these while were out fishing and as said before by another member its not allowed to put them back in our waters so instead of taking them home to eat, smash them up at the side of the water and throw them back in to feed the other inhabitants of the water, much better feeding our native wildlife with them then ourselves.

Barlow trout fisherie seen loads of them in the edge and have even caught them before.yes i have tasted em i took some out of the course fishing lakes there very nice great for makeing your own boilies too

How do u make boilies using crayfish? I no a place that full of the red signal ones

The lazy way of catching these is by tying a chicken carcass onto a length of line, slinging it into the water, and then pulling it out after 10 minutes. The little pests will be locked onto it. ;)