American Signal Crayfish

I live in berkshire (born in Sheffield) and fish the Kennet every week. The crays are a bleeding nuicance. Rip a piece of luncheon meat to bits in 15 minutes.

However, they do taste quite nice with a dollop of garlic mayo to dip them in. I'd keep them alive then leave them in a bucket of clean water for 24 hrs before boiling the little f*****s. Then you just pop the tail meat out of the shell. The shells go pink, just like a little lobster when boiled.

Get a sachet of dog food, and pierce it a few times with a knife, then pop this in the trap and drop the trap in the water.

We have professional trappers on the kennet who are taking hundreds a week and selling them to restaurants, but the poulation doesnt seem to be dwindling

The big signal crayfish eat the little signal crayfish and in turn help to control the population. Trapping only goes so far

Im not sure of name of ponds, ive always known them as mil ponds, there between hackenthorpe and woodhouse, but the the ponds there are full of them. I had four in about a hour taking a single maggot in edge. They are defo signals aswel, with red on underside of claws. I didnt eat them tho, but put it this way, them four wont be bothering anything again lol

Defo in rivelin pond near fire station, mate caught one when spinning for pike.

advised to throw it in woods.

Caught a cray spinning ha ha that's a good un.

Just to let you know:

1. it is illegal to trap crayfish without a license from the Environment Agency.

2. there are native and non-native crayfish in Sheffield

3. native crayfish are protected by law making it illegal to remove them from the water

4. trapping out signal crayfish does NOT help conserve our endangered native crayfish

Find out more at website sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/ecology-service/biodiversity-action-plans/crayfish-conservation

and website crayfish.org.uk

What does one need to do then to get hold of a licence??

I've eaten crayfish more times than I can count, and they are delicious. Cook them in enough salted and sugared water to cover them, with plenty of dill crowns. Eat them cold with your fingers. Lucky diners may find females with roe, a real delicacy.

For a solid evening, 1kg cooked crayfish per person is about right.

Eat with toast, butter, cheese, beer and vodka fresh from the freezer - like this:

http://tinyurl.com/crayfish-jpg

Jimmy

There are signal crayfish in the Rother at Catcliffe (the bailiff told me so today)..

I don't know whether you would have to buy a day ticket to fish for them though:confused:

Cheers, Biggsy:)

Anyone eating anything from the Rother will end up in hospital. Take a good look at the tributaries of the Rother and eat at your peril. have caught brown trout from the Rother at Eckington and wouldn't feed them to a scabby moggy.

Anyone eating anything from the Rother will end up in hospital. Take a good look at the tributaries of the Rother and eat at your peril. have caught brown trout from the Rother at Eckington and wouldn't feed them to a scabby moggy.

Is there any science to support the notion that eating fish from mucky waters will actually cause you harm?

Is there any science to support the notion that eating fish from mucky waters will actually cause you harm?

Never heard of Minamata?