Kids and cats..

plenty of people say never mix kids with cats.. ok theres the few scratches but after a week or so it's happy harmony, my kids wouldn't be without their cat, i wish more had the time for the brainy wired up moggies

I think if you are careful and watch your child it is possible - but it's not just the fact that a cat can scratch the child. I have seen children picking cats up by their tails and physically throwing themselves on top of them. I would be reluctant to have a cat with a toddler - more for the cats sake than the child's to be honest. But I think they make amazing pets for children who have an understanding of what "gentle" means.

I'd question anyone's parenting skills if they homed a cat with a child less that 6 years old.

I'd question anyone's parenting skills if they homed a cat with a child less that 6 years old.

what if you already have a cat? Surely you can teach your children to be responsible around your cat and never leave them alone together.

Errrrr, ok :loopy:

My family got their cat when I was 3 from the RSPCA centre, it was brilliant to grow up with a cat. We only finally had to say goodbye when I was 20 (the cat was also about 20). I was heartbroken as I'm sure you can imagine.

Plenty of young children are perfectly fine to be around cats, we all had to go to the RSPCA as a family and meet the cats and based on that we could adopt one. Back in the day when these sort of places took things on a case by case basis and not strict rules about everything.

My kids have grown up around cats. They are used to kittens from birth and have been taught how to handle them properly. My 2 year old loves to sit on the sofa with a cat or 2 on her knee n next to her. How ridiculous to say children under 6 shouldn't own a cat. Some of my animals were here before some of the kids. It's all about teaching them respect for animals.

I have never had to think about mixing pets with my children, they have always been around animals, I dont know what all the fuss is about, My children know out of my 4 cats the ones which they can touch, stroke, and even pick up. We would never be without our pets, I would like to think my children have grown/ing up to love, care for and respect all animals. :)

very silly comment

I can see both sides of the coin really. My kids are fab with my cat and to be honest she just stays away from them. They don't feed her so she's just not interested. However, my friends toddler is like a bull in a china shop. She doesn't understand 'gentle' and thinks that pulling tails and ears is common practise. She also lays on the cat to try and kiss her. Needless to say, she's been scratched a few times!!! And the cat gives her a VERY wide berth lol!!

One of my cats is very schizophrenic (a child kicked him in the face when he was a kitten and he sustained a head injury), over the years anyone who enters my house is told about him and if they choose to then enter into his space they do at there own risk, this usually results in them having a very nasty scratch and bite! He is the oldest cat in my house and he rules the roost, unprovoked attacks on people have never happened, he just wants to be left alone when people visit. We love him to bits and would never change him for the world he is a very loving cat and sleeps with me every night, we just love him to bits...

We have always had cats and never had a problem with the children. They were taught to be gentle as soon as they began to show an interest in them and our cats are amazing and love to lay with the children. Teach a child early to be gentle and I can't see a problem at all with having cats in the family. Our cats given half a chance try to go to bed with the children.

My offspring are grown up now,but personally,if my cats and kids didn't get on well,then I am afraid the kids would have to go.