Does anyone know what they are going to do with the GPO building ! I know it was mentioned in the Castle Market thread,butI was wondering ! I walked past it the other week and its a shame the way its going to ruin

In my opinion the most beautiful building in all of Sheffield. It is truly a disgrace that it has been allowed to fall into such disrepair.

Have you noticed all the lead has bee stripped from the upper dormer windows plus all the lead drainpipe has gone too, its an utter disgrace that such a beautiful building has been left to the weather. With all the lead gone from off the roof the water must be like a waterfall inside when it rains.

i worked here when it was a delivery office and the floor was completely block paved but in wooden bricks,it was polished once a week by the cleaners who had been working for royal mail forever! all the toilets where tiled in those great long brick shaped white tiles,plus all the radiators where the old cast iron and everything was what you would find in a antique dealers now,such a shame.

There's a massive leak internally too (in the basement). Rumour has it that the owners caused it as they cannot sell the building, or tear it down and sell the land. If it becomes structurally unsound however....

There's a massive leak internally too (in the basement). Rumour has it that the owners caused it as they cannot sell the building, or tear it down and sell the land. If it becomes structurally unsound however....

Do you know who the owners are by the way? I don't suppose that our city fathers would have the bottle to put a CPO on it.

that is what normally happens to buildings like this or they are 'damaged' whilst other work is being carried out or if they're rural enough, they just 'burn down'

Some internal shots of it;

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34271

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=51067

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15520

As someone who grew up in Sheffield and visit it from time to time, I was shocked to see the condition of this great old building. Windows smashed, pigeons have now taken over it. It's the kind of building that has heritage value and should be restored, its usage modified. Yet, I saw those awful, gaudy looking monstrosities known as the refurbished Park Hill flats dominating the skyline. Someone in City Hall has his or her priorities screwed up. That whole Fitzalan Square area has degenerated with the statue of Edward VII (?) bedecked with garbage and graffiti and a cheap looking, mobile tea stall fitting in with the present run down look but a far cry from the open, historic area of former times. Shocking.

As someone who grew up in Sheffield and visit it from time to time, I was shocked to see the condition of this great old building. Windows smashed, pigeons have now taken over it. It's the kind of building that has heritage value and should be restored, its usage modified. Yet, I saw those awful, gaudy looking monstrosities known as the refurbished Park Hill flats dominating the skyline. Someone in City Hall has his or her priorities screwed up. That whole Fitzalan Square area has degenerated with the statue of Edward VII (?) bedecked with garbage and graffiti and a cheap looking, mobile tea stall fitting in with the present run down look but a far cry from the open, historic area of former times. Shocking.

Why is that you and I and god knows how many others can see exactly what you have posted, whilst our illustrious city fathers are totally oblivious to the blatantly obvious?

This lovely building and the old town hall should be the landmarks to kick off the regeneration of this whole area once the markets have gone. They were once quality public buildings, so Sheffielders feel some ownership of them, they're not derelict warehouses that can be left to rot.

It's all right going on about excavating the castle remains (yes, please do that as well), but we need to keep this stuff too. I wonder what the council is doing about keeping our best old buildings? Would they prefer to rip them all down and build a 7-Stone in every part of town?

This lovely building and the old town hall should be the landmarks to kick off the regeneration of this whole area once the markets have gone. They were once quality public buildings, so Sheffielders feel some ownership of them, they're not derelict warehouses that can be left to rot.

It's all right going on about excavating the castle remains (yes, please do that as well), but we need to keep this stuff too. I wonder what the council is doing about keeping our best old buildings? Would they prefer to rip them all down and build a 7-Stone in every part of town?

They can't even sort the proposed Sevenstone development out, they are and have been for many years, totally bloody useless.

I don't know why it didn't just stay as the Post Office, it's much more pleasant than that dump Castle House.