The former Hammerton Street School, Darnall

i remember miss atkins singing a song to us and the words were feet take me east feet take me west feet take me home to tea and let me rest that must be 60 years ago funny what you remember

i remember miss atkins singing a song to us and the words were feet take me east feet take me west feet take me home to tea and let me rest that must be 60 years ago funny what you remember

Did you have to sing 'Nymphs and Shepherds'?? or 'He's football crazy'??

We had to singalong with some very strange and seemingly ancient songs! :hihi:

Biggsy :)

any one remember sports day at hammerton road when the girls took on the boys at rounders you only got one hit at the ball hit or miss you had to run as i recall the boys usually lost good days long gone

Hammerton Rd. was my first school. Started about 68 I think. Lived just across Staniforth Rd. on Bray St. most of it gone now. Remember playing tig in the school yard, not looking where I was going and ran straight into one of the stone walls, had a thick lip for about 2 weeks. Happy'ish days.

Chris

any one remember sports day at hammerton road when the girls took on the boys at rounders you only got one hit at the ball hit or miss you had to run as i recall the boys usually lost good days long gone

Yep- I vaguely recall playing rounders against the girls (and probably losing!!)

I remember the nit nurse visiting in her white coat.Also remember the hearing test we all had.

hammerton county school 1966 till 1972. what a lovely little school. I remember assemble with miss atkin and guessing what colour bloomers she was wearing with elastic round just above her knees (always blue or pink). mrs Richardson playing piano and doing all our first aid. Real writing with mr laycock in annexe j2. every Friday listening to his favourite piece of music puff the magic dragon before we could leave the class room on record player. morris dancing with mrs Bancroft figure 8 and p e in hall with mrs mead and mrs.baines. then who remembers joining forces with Woodbourne road school and doing the red sea jazz wrote and produced by mr Elliott j4 teacher and deputy head. mrs atkin retiring and mrs steele taking over. loads of lovely memories except the one where mrs Bancroft retired we collected for her bought all this stuff in purple her favourite colour and low and behold she came back to work. plus who remembers listening every assemble to mrs atkins favourite piece of music both as we walked in and out ELIZABETHAN SERRANADE.

hammerton county school 1966 till 1972. what a lovely little school. I remember assemble with miss atkin and guessing what colour bloomers she was wearing with elastic round just above her knees (always blue or pink). mrs Richardson playing piano and doing all our first aid. Real writing with mr laycock in annexe j2. every Friday listening to his favourite piece of music puff the magic dragon before we could leave the class room on record player. morris dancing with mrs Bancroft figure 8 and p e in hall with mrs mead and mrs.baines. then who remembers joining forces with Woodbourne road school and doing the red sea jazz wrote and produced by mr Elliott j4 teacher and deputy head. mrs atkin retiring and mrs steele taking over. loads of lovely memories except the one where mrs Bancroft retired we collected for her bought all this stuff in purple her favourite colour and low and behold she came back to work. plus who remembers listening every assemble to mrs atkins favourite piece of music both as we walked in and out ELIZABETHAN SERRANADE.

I just remembered about the Cursive writing lessons!!

Alison- Do you reacall the bean bag that someone had thrown up to the ledge where the widows were very high at the roof??

It looked like a hand hanging over the edge and we all thought it was a dead body!! :hihi:

Can remember that horrible Morris dancing and having to wear short trousers for school- Hated short trousers and won't wear them to this day!! :rant:

I just remembered about the Cursive writing lessons!!

Alison- Do you reacall the bean bag that someone had thrown up to the ledge where the widows were very high at the roof??

It looked like a hand hanging over the edge and we all thought it was a dead body!! :hihi:

Can remember that horrible Morris dancing and having to wear short trousers for school- Hated short trousers and won't wear them to this day!! :rant:

For being a good girl one day I was sent by miss Bancroft on an errand. I remember having to go up to staff room to help the caretaker, and go up the extra staircase that was up there leading to the storage space that run above the staff room. I was sent to find the caretaker, first going down to the boiler room (the cellar) He was not there I then saw mrs Richardson in the hall and was told he was in the toilets outside in the yard and to go and find him. I went out in to the yard went to girls toilet first ran all the way round them stood and shouted him at the boys no answer went back to the hall was now sent to the caretakers house again to be told he is in school yet again saw mrs Richardson was now told to sit on the top step on the staff room step and wait. and wait I did. it after what seemed an age there was creepy noises from above I by now was getting a bit frightened when suddenly the storage door opened and out came a brown paper mache donkeys head bloody caretaker had been up there all the time waiting for me. He then reported me to mrs Bancroft for messing around and I had to stay in during afternoon break and write as many 4 letter words as I could out of her favourite word CONSTANTINOPLE. so much for that being a treat for being good....

URGENT APPEAL looking for any information.

Trying to find a person he was the Groomsman at a friands Wedding and they going to Celebrate there 50th Anniversary this year and it be nice if he could make the Celebrations with them.

He lived corner of Bray St fronting Staniforth Road was a butchers in the 1960's. You went up stone steps to the shop. It was run by John Bingley and his dad. In 1965 John would be about 18 yrs old then. Does Anyone know of him and his where abouts now Please thanks for reading you may contact me through Form or my Email is courtney.84@live.co.uk

So what happened to Hammerton Street School? What state is it in now and what are the plans for it?