West Street outbound bus gate

This post was not about whether you can or cannot turn right from Gell Street on to West Street/Glossop Road. You can, it's that simple.

The problem is that the signage is confusing, and once you've turned right during bus gate enforcement times (from 1600) you can't turn back or turn around. This seems unfair and like a bit of 'trap' to me.

Edited by alas_alas

This post was not about whether you can or cannot turn right from Gell Street on to West Street/Glossop Road. You can, it's that simple.

The problem is that the signage is confusing, and once you've turned right during bus gate enforcement times (from 1600) you can't turn back or turn around. This seems unfair and like a bit of 'trap' to me.

Just been and looked on Gell Street, as you turn into Gell Street from the top, there is a large road direction sign on the right hand side stating what time the bus gate is in operation.

How can signage as large as this be confusing.

Edited by Bluelight

There's another large sign on the right hand side - about where the lampost is on this Google view

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sheffield+S1&aq=1&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.092055,28.256836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sheffield+S1,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.380884,-1.482972&spn=0.00224,0.006899&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.380769,-1.482975&panoid=tzvtz2wedpbOyaW4OidpdQ&cbp=12,198.41,,0,0

Also, there are signs as you turn right - I think that it is those signs that the camera is pointing at.

The situation's still the same though - there isn't a "no right turn" sign.

If the right turn leads directly into a bus gate than you're committing a violation whether or not there is a no-right-turn sign.

There's no 'no left' turn sign at the bottom of Walkley Bank for the bus gate at Hillsborough - but if you turn left during the operation times - you'll get 'done'.

Turning right out of Gell St is allowed - just not between 4 and 6:30 (or whatever the times are).

G

At the junction between Gell Street and Glossop Road there are two signs 'on' Glossop Road with the 1630-1830 bus gate operating hours stated in pre 24 hour clock.

There isn't however the traditional bus gate/lane sign you get when you're on a side street about to enter a primary road (like this: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=809&q=gatefield%20road&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl )

As the restrictions begin upon the junction, all leading routes should have a sign, as is the norm with bus lanes should it not?

At the junction between Gell Street and Glossop Road there are two signs 'on' Glossop Road with the 1630-1830 bus gate operating hours stated in pre 24 hour clock.

There isn't however the traditional bus gate/lane sign you get when you're on a side street about to enter a primary road (like this: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=809&q=gatefield%20road&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl )

As the restrictions begin upon the junction, all leading routes should have a sign, as is the norm with bus lanes should it not?

I refer you to post #9 (since I'm not familiar with the junction myself).

I don't recall mistaking West Street for Glossop Road. Been a while HeadingNorth..

Bah! The post to which I was trying to refer you, has been deleted!

Essentially it was saying that there is, indeed, a sign on Gell Street informing motorists of what times the right turn is allowed and what times it isn't. Whether it was accurate or not, I don't know.

Bah! The post to which I was trying to refer you, has been deleted!

Essentially it was saying that there is, indeed, a sign on Gell Street informing motorists of what times the right turn is allowed and what times it isn't. Whether it was accurate or not, I don't know.

The bus gate only applies from 4 pm to 6.30 pm preventing people going to enter Glossop Rd (Upper Hanover Way junction). As far as I know, there is no restriction for people coming from Glossop Rd to West St.

Another bus gate also applies up the road (near Boots/Fitzwilliam St.).

Edited by Go Flix

As you drive down Gell St on the right hand side is a large sign saying Bike Buses Taxis right turn only Mon - Fri 4.00 - 6.30 pm, All Other Traffic turn left, so if you turn right you will get a ticket, if not your ok ,

The bus gate only applies from 4 pm to 6.30 pm preventing people going to enter Glossop Rd (Upper Hanover Way junction).

That being so, there should be a sign on Gell Street which gives that information (and, according to pentop, there is one). There would not be, and could not be, a "no right turn" sign because for the rest of the time the right turn is permissible.

All in all, then, it looks as though the OP's complaint is entirely groundless.