How i stop my dog from being greedy.

Does anyone have any advice on how i stop my dog from being greedy?

I feed her quality meals, not just dried food and she is never satisfied, she comes back to me and stares me out for more food! Even when i give her more by mistake!

I am not liking how she is being atm, she is very obedient and will learn the usual sit, drop etc....but she's snatching out of my hand when i give her a treat and misbehaving when my partner comes home from work, she will do things (like wee on the floor) that she doesn't do when I am only with her.

I am a keen Cesar Millan follower so understand the leadership but I am kind of lost with what to do here! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sounds like the dog is dominating you,you must be the pack leader. only reward good behaviour by treats.do not give treats willy nilly, and only feed once a day.the weeing bit i would just rub her nose in it and show your dissaproval.you have got to show a dog whos boss.this may not be the right advice but im sure others will give theirs.

Percieved greed in a dog could be anything tbh.

Don't give her anything at all , except her meals. This will be hardest for you not the dog.

I personally give my dog wholemeal bones when i put them away twice a day, i never give them any other treats. As a consequence as i open the treat cupboard they run through the house to go away.

Greed - can be appetite increase from walking and either season(weather) changes , nutritional deficiency,worms or just plain simple pushing the boundaries.

Rub the noes in it!! a long outdated solution.

You could perhaps try to teach some self control around food, such as when you have her meal ready in her bowl (pick the bowl up and get it ready elsewhere), make her sit and stay while you put it down. If she goes for it take it up again and make her sit once more. If you keep doing this she will soon realise she has to sit and wait nicely or the food won't go down. Then you can increase the time she has to wait and introduce a command to eat.

Ours used to be all over you trying to snatch food at mealtimes but now she knows to sit and wait and will only take the food when I say 'ok, eat' and point at the food. Another advantage of this is she applies the same behaviour to our own plates and bowls, so that now if I finish eating and put my plate down next to me, she will sit there and not have a go at it unless I tell her she can (no mean feat when I've been eating ice cream!)

You could also try and teach her 'leave it' for treats too.

I'd probably only give treats if she works for them, or say if you wanted to give her a bone or some such, you could do the same as for her meals - teach her sit and wait and then take the bone from the floor when you say she can, rather than snatching it from your hand.

No idea about the weeing thing I'm afraid.

I'd work with politeness at mealtimes too- there's loads that you can do with sitting and staying and not taking her food until you tell her she can have it.

Have you worked on the 'leave' command with her at all? If you have then you can extend that for all sorts of scenarios. This is one of the most versatile things to teach a dog as far as I'm concerned. You can use it for pulling her away from someone that she hasn't asked to approach, or a dropped takeaway on the pavement or another dog that doesn't look like they want her to be near.

As far as the weeing goes, is she weeing directly as your partner comes in, or later when he's home? If it's just as he comes in then it could be a product of her being so excited that she can't control herself, for which you need to be working on how your partner comes in and approaches her, rather than just on the dog.

food wise- I feed once a day. With treats at bedtime and when I leave the house. If you feed randomly when you have food yourself or go in cuboards you are asking for the puppy eye treatment and begging :hihi:

To make them not snatch you need to teach a 'leave' and keep on lead when doing it so they never get anywhere through snatching, if they go for the food without permission you 'check' the lead. You need to do this every day, morning and night for few weeks then every now and again to reinforce. Put it on the palm of your hand to start and make sure you do not snatch you hand away when they are allowed to take the treat, you need to chose a word that allows them to take the food 'take' . You have to be more stubborn than them!

stick at it they will be perfect soon enough :)

sounds like the dog is dominating you,you must be the pack leader. only reward good behaviour by treats.do not give treats willy nilly, and only feed once a day.the weeing bit i would just rub her nose in it and show your dissaproval.you have got to show a dog whos boss.this may not be the right advice but im sure others will give theirs.
under no circumstances should you try this - the most likely reason for her weeing is submission, and such dominant treatment can at least make matters worse, and at worst give you a psychologically damaged dog whose behaviour deteriorates

Oh, and Cesar Milan nearly had his face bitten off by a placid dog he was shoving in the face of a dominant basset he'd been 'training'. The basset was subsequently pts too - you'd have thought they'd have managed to edit the clip better than that

Nobody is going to be able to solve this problem for you without much more detailed information, and preferably meeting the dog. Two different dogs can exhibit the same unwanted behaviour for different reasons, so the training required to solve the problem will be different for each case

Edited by Strix

Yes well said Evei, my 7 wait or they don't get.I have taught them all that they won't be left hungry,but they must show manners to get the treat/ food.Same principle applies to the walks,they get lots of freedom if they behave and respond to recalls.J

I'm sorry but this advice is simply awful!

It certainly is. You get a dog to respond to you by mutual respect, not scaring the ---- out of it!!

Not the right advice? :loopy:

I think thats the only thing in your post that's correct. :hihi:

Never come near my dogs!! :rant: