Sharrow Lane S11 - Can Anyone Tell Me About It?

Originally posted by Classic Rock

I had a chat with Mr Pops up at Nether Edge the other week and he just shook his head sadly when we asked him about his shop.

Pop of Pop's supermarket in Nether Edge is dead I understand, so I doubt you spoke to him particularly recently. There is a little 'in memoriam' to him in the shop. Nice Guy - RIP.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Pop of Pop's supermarket in Nether Edge is dead I understand, so I doubt you spoke to him particularly recently. There is a little 'in memoriam' to him in the shop. Nice Guy - RIP.

Oh right, I didn't realise.....I spoke to the old guy that worked at both sites that seemed to be in charge.

i wouldn't like to comment on living on the road but i once had a firework fired straight at me on my motorcycle just outside the shut down pub. the "youths" (who looked about 18 or 19 and should know better) just stood and laughed as i fought to avoid being blown up! i got the distinct feeling it wasn't just a childhood prank.....

Yup, and if it wasn't fireworks it was glasses from the pub.....sometimes it would be rocks or stones. One week I went through 48 glasses just because the 'young people' would buy a drink and take it out to the steps of the pub and after drinking it, simply throw the glass at cars.

We couldn't stop them. We even bought plastic glasses for those going outside, but they were thrown too. We tried stopping glasses from going outside, but that was a battle on its own.

November was silly season for fireworks in the road. Giant rockets were often seen shooting up along Sharrow Lane. Luckily we never had any let off in the pub....although one of the nice young gentlemen did set fire to our toilets and another set fire to the bandit.

[thread note]

Please note that several replies have been removed. Users are not allowed to register and post under more than one username. Please check the site's terms of use for further info.

i used to walk reguarly from clarkehouse road to abbeydale road via hunters bar and sharrow road and I think sharrow in general is a pretty area. Some parts such as the Kenwood roads are really nice. I have to say I did feel a bit vulnerable once I got to Sharrow Lane and London Road but I don't think its nearly as bad as what I'm used to when I lived in London. I think there is a difference in housing quality and crime levels between hunters bar/sharrowvale road and sharrow road/london road. I'm sure there are nice parts of Sharrow Road but there is a noticeable difference from hunters bar which made me feel slightly uncomfortable when walking through to london road.

My ex-girlfriend and me once walked naked from Clubgarden Road to Cowlishaw Road (I was a lot younger then!). We weren't beaten, raped or otherwise hassled apart from good natured beeping of horns, etc.

Says it all really.

Try that in some places and you wouldn't get very far.

I grew up in sharrow in the 1970's. Loved it. it was fantastic!

Then the council decided the old terraces (built 1866) were "slums", just because they didn't have internal bathrooms and loos. (how primitive!" she said in her best lady bracknell voice!) So the rotters demolished them, and scattered the community to the four winds.

it was safe, it was a fantastic area, real sense of community. the really, truly, old fashioned, "I remember when we werent afraid to leave our doors unlocked" atmosphere.

when I married in the early 90's, we got our first house in Sharrow again. the area was still great... hell of a lot of noise on band night from the Cross Guns, which was opposite our place..... but, feh! It happens. you live near a pub, you have to expect some noise.

Still felt a safe place to live, neighbours were lovely, wasn't afraid to walk around here.

The only Pity was, that the landlord was such a so-and so, wecouldn't get the repairs done for love nor money. we were gassed by Carbon Monoxide, which has left me needing to rely on a wheelchair, with Neurological damage.

However, A few months ago, me and hub moved from another area within sheffield back to sharrow. The top end. what's the area like now?

well

there are still trees at the top end of sharrow lane (!)

it's quiet, where we are,

the neighbours are great.

now have a landlord who will actually do the repairs,

I can sit and watch squirrels romping on my fence, and a cheeky little robin who visits my garden.

We hear hardly anything from the traffic, (and we are on the main road) even the other day when there was the bus crash on cemetery road, and all the traffic was diverted via sharrow lane, we heard absoutely nowt untoward.

the two tenant and resident groups in the area are very good. as are the other people who are also being proactive in the district to make changes, socially and environmentally.

Theres a lot of good going on in this district. folk round here have a hert for the positive.

I still feel safe walking <----scratch that:- wheeling around the district. the only place I don't feel that safe, is that horrid underpass by the bottom of the moor....

I think that there are much worse places to live in, even within sheffield. I am as happy as a sandboy here. it's a very positive place to live, with a lot of folk with social consciences, it's only the minority who are dragging the area down, and IMHO... if only the council and other landlords would start to impose stricter rules on their bad tenants and get them to straighten their acts up, it'd be even better.

Plain Talker

I was just wondering about Sharrow Lane, I have heard that it has a high crime rate, does anyone know of any inncidents that have happened recently??

I'm not sure that Sharrow Lane has a higher crime rate than other roads in the locality, but several months ago there was an incident in one of the shops near Mount Pleasant, when I believe a gun was used and someone was shot in the leg. Sometimes there are gangs of youths but although they make noise I don't think they do anything particularly criminal.

IMO, I feel alot safer down there since Tuxedo Blue has been closed down.

I live on Vincent Road which is just off Sharrow Lane. Thr crime rate is quite good I think in comparison to other inner city areas.