Bailey's nightclub

bring back the seventies, i want to be there all over again.

Those days made you what you are my friend, we can't go back but they can't be taken from us. :)

Yes did the same route also there was a dive along side B&C Coop I use to visit before black swan.

I remember Bailey's - then later Romeo's - well. Did some go-go dancing there around 1976. Great days. Loved Bailey's. Also remember the Cavendish. Saw the 4 Tops. As someone says, you can't go back to the 70s but you can never forget them. Today's teens and 20s don't know what they've missed.

I remember one of the go-go dancers also, she used to dance in a large bird cage on the podium I think and I seem to remember her name was Anne. Around 1975/6 I think.

There was the disco room linked to the performance room by a wide corridor with the loos on there. Saw some great 70's headliners at Baileys and have great memories of the place. :)

I remember it, it had two seperate clubs in the same building if I remember right..

bring back the seventies, i want to be there all over again.

When did you leave?:hihi:

I remember one of the go-go dancers also, she used to dance in a large bird cage on the podium I think and I seem to remember her name was Anne. Around 1975/6 I think.

There was the disco room linked to the performance room by a wide corridor with the loos on there. Saw some great 70's headliners at Baileys and have great memories of the place. :)

I liked Bailey's too and remember it well.

It wasn't my favourite club though - to be honest, it wasn't quite as upmarket with posh totty as places like Scamps for example. And there was a greater ethnic mix in Bailey's, let's call it that. Which sometimes seemed to cause problems.

I had a good friend called Les Flood who was really keen on Bailey's and he used to drag me down there on a fairly regular basis. Les was a great dancer, "Northern Soul" type. In fact, he liked dancing more than he liked girls I think. I was happy for him to do the dancing and me to do the talking.

Great memories!

I'm writing a piece on Bailey's summer '78. Some re-collections:

Fairly strict dress-code - my mate was refused entry for wearing Converse trainers.

Turned a blind eye to under-age drinking, we were all 17.

Never got heavy, never saw any trouble there.

No-one was very interested when the band's came on, but got straight back on the floor when the DJ returned with the Bee-Gees?

Used to walk home to Lane Top if we missed the 1:50am from High Street.

Please feel free to share your memories.

Thanks

Dodger

I'm from Birmingham I worked on a new shop in Sheffield in 1972 I met a lovely girl who I met in Bailey's the hollies was on that week great club she showed me the stone house my name is danny

In the seventies I worked in the drawing office at Laycock Engineering on Archer Road , Millhouses. Laycocks made garage equipment including car hoists. They also made 'industrial' hoists which were the same as a car hoists but whatever shape, size and height the customer wanted. When he was planning the club, the owner of Baileys came to us and said he wanted part of the dance floor to rise up, just a couple of feet (50-60 cm I think) to form a stage for the 'turn' to perform on.  We made it and it worked. My mate Howard was in charge of the project and we got free tickets for the opening night. We went a few times but the only person I can remember seeing there was Bob Monkhouse.