The Roland Arms Aston In The 70s

Sure I was,the rates were £29 a year the ground rent £18 then the leccy and gas,christ i didnt know which way to turn then.I worked all hours i could to pay for that and 25 years to do it in!!!

I can still remember the rates on my 2 up 2 down small terraced house with outside loo/back yard too when we first moved in...They were £13.00 a year in total,and that was the general+water rates,NOW, my council tax alone is triple that, a WEEK :confused:Luckily i too was working long hard hours... albeit away from home... and with help from my parents i was able to pay cash for it...no mortgage,nothing else either,when we moved in we had a bed,cooker,fridge (all given to us),1 chair and electrical stuff rented from "Wiggy's" but it was ours.

Hi Euclid the reason the Angel opened an extra half hour was that it was over the border in Derbyshire,we all used to make for it in the last hour!.

H Tup....Yes i do know it was over the border in Derby's,the county dyke is in the very bottom between the Rother Valley entrance and the Angel.I lived just up the road at "The Bar"....I cannot recall the accident you mention although i do remember another late at night when a couple of lads were going down the hill towards the Angel,Their car left the road and hit the railings that used to be at each side of the road where the county dyke is,i believe one of the railings came thro' the windscreen and hit the driver in the face,the other lad survived..another sad loss.......

Edited by euclid

Old Tup - my uncle is known as that! He writes quite a lot of poetry!

I ended up with my forum name from the times spent in the 70s at the Roland,every bank holiday a bunch of Morris Dancers turned up to perform in the car park!.Our lasses favourite dance was "Poor old Tup",she said it reminded her of me,cheeky sod!.I said I was treat by her just the same as Old Tup was by everone,so the name has stuck,thats me poor Old Tup!:rolleyes::roll::D

My recollection of Old Tup is seeing it performed around christmas time in the Lord Conyers (Kiveton..now gone?),and Dusty Millar (Barlborough)...it begins :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Here comes me & our old lass

Short of money and short of brass

Pay for a pint and let us sup

And then we'll show you our old Tup.

As we were going to Derby

Upon a market day

We had the finest Tup

That ever fed on hay

Unfortunately it starts to get gruesome :gag::gag: so don't read on if you don't want to know what happens to poor owd tup

{BOB PLUNGES KNIFE TO TUP'S HEAD. TUP FALLS TO GROUND MAKING APPROPRIATE NOISES & KICKS ETC.}

ALL SING: (EXCEPT BUTCHER)

And now the butcher has stuck the Tup

Who's in danger of his life

He's up to his knees in blood.

Crying out for a longer life

http://www.folkplay.info/Texts/96sk47rh.htm

I used to shop at Pashleys grocery and beer off. I lived on Mansfield road until 1957 when I married a girl from woodhouse mill. Then we lived in a prefab at west park drive swallownest until we emigrated to Australia in 1964. We have made 3 visits to swallownest since but unfortunately didn't make it to the roland arms.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 10:10 ----------

The old tup brings back memories. as kids living at aughton we used to perform at the black bull. robin hood. swallownest miners welfare hall.

Does anyone remember Les Pashley at the Roland,you couldn,t meet a more narky childish miserable bloke if you tried,having said all that the place was packed most nights!.His mother in her eighties was different altogether,Fanny was in the tap room bar every night I always had a chat and a laugh with her and Nancy the wife of Les she was ok too!.It was a mystery why the pub was so popular in the 70s maybe it was the large Wimpey estate having just been built or because all the towrags had been barred out not like Maggies down Swall and most other pubs in the area,I have fond memories of my visits there!:thumbsup::D