Help needed to remember greaves st

Unwins also lived on Bradley Place.

the girls name was Sylvia Butcher,i lived at 136 just above Laws shop,do you remember Hallams,Bockings,Crawshaws,Brays,Forsters,Greaham Reaney,Rowbothams,Brays,Johnsons,the other shops were Kelseys,Bentleys,& Hoggs chip shop,my maiden name was Rogers & my brother is Trevor,school head was Mr.Maltby others Bannister,Hall,Jones,Savage Miss Chadwick,Miss Marr,Miss Fenelon.....

.I remember Greame Reaney he was a friend of my brother Tony Towns Mrs Rowbotham was my grandma she lived at 33, Carol Bray was in my class she is the mother of my next door neighbours daughter in law (small world) there were the brammers at 35 children Pat and Michael, the Agnets, Ivy and George Bingham,Mrs Bradbury and her son,Whites daughter Maureen, and the Hirsts shop,Mrs Whittaker, Graeame Pollard, Ireen Beers, I can remember some of the teachers miss fenelon was lovely always had a dewdrop on the end of her nose, Mr Halls nickname was punch as he had a hook nose and i remember Mr Jones taught in the prefab in the boys yard he would go out of class round through the girls yard and creep under the windows to try and catch us larking about we soon got wise to it and had a lookout, happy days

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 16:16 ----------

My Father in Law (Sydney Whittaker) sadly passed away recently and we discovered that he was born at 27 Greaves Street in 1925, where his mother and father John and Clara Whittaker lived. She died in 1961 whilst still living in 27 Greaves Street. Does anybody have any memories of the Whittaker family or pictures so that my wife can see them. Thank you.

I remember Mrs Whittaker she was my parents next door neighbour they lived at 29 and they were also called John and Clara although my dad was always called Jack,I was born in Greaves street and I remember her although not very well I do remember a lady living with her called Rita who I think was her daughter in law, but i dont think Rita was married so perhaps she was a widow, I think Rita stayed in the house after Mrs Whittaker died, My parents moved out in 1970 and all the houses were demolished sadly I dont have any photos of of the family, do you know anything about Rita? if she is still alive she will be in her 80s. hope this helps a little.

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 16:30 ----------

That's correct about throwing money out of the window......................poor women.

I Remember Hoggs chippie and the wall around it we used to dare each other to jump off it as it got higher as it went round the corner onto Freedom Street I only jumped off the high bit once. Mrs Hog used to scare me.I dont remember her throwing the money away but im sure the kids gathered it up and ran like the wind

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 16:41 ----------

I am the youngest of 4 siblings. We all lived on Greaves street. I am the youngest and was born at 116 in 1948 and left there about 1961. None of us know of a Bramall family but do slightly remember a Brammer family.

The Brammer family lived at 35 Lilly and Eddie their children were Pat and Michael, Eddie was always ill and had trouble breathing I lived at 29 and my granma was there next door neighbour

---------- Post added 20-08-2016 at 16:55 ----------

Hi joeyjojo, I met your mum last summer with other members of both families and it was a very enjoyable experience, when I was younger Jack Towns and I became very good friends and always met on Bramall Lane when Sheffield United were playing and I would go to Greaves St when we were playing Sheffield Wednesday they were "Happy Days"

Hi, sharrovian I have just figured out who you are, I remember my dad going to the matches with you and yes I enjoyed our afternoon out too

---------- Post added 21-08-2016 at 00:55 ----------

I lived in Grammer st. opposite the chippy in the 50s went to parkside rd school hillsbro used harveys herbal shop good meeting place jukebox sasparella and football thanks to the owner Harvey .great area for sledging in winter , I think we used normanton rd off Grammer st. friends George davidson david Downing , Margaret Mcintyre(i think)& the Unwins ofthe small street between greaves & grammer st.I remember going round the streets at voting time with placards & chanting vote vote vote for Mr Darling Or Mr Patnick . those were the days

I remember the herbal shop on langsett road and drinking sasparilla, if I remember right they had twin daughters. I remember David Downing I think he lost an arm in an accident at work. we used to sledge on normandale road I once got knocked out while doing the train we used to pass our rope to the sledge behind a recipe for disaster, I remember going round singing vote vote for Mr Darling my dad was local councillor for walkley so we always sang for the labour man and yes they were happy days

Edited by esme
quote tags

The Butcher family lived in Greaves St ....one of their sons Jim was my uncle he lived at 45 with his wife Vera...both now passed away..bless. His mum and dad had also lived in the street for years, they also had a son called Lol and a daughter whose name I have forgotten.

I remember a Mrs Paramore aswell who lived at 43 I think...I remember the outside toilets.... Brrrrr a bit cold in winter....

My aunt and uncle moved out to flats near the Grindstone Pub when the houses were demolished/

Hi I lived at number 135 Greaves Street my name was Yvonne Bocking and my parents Les and Joyce were good friends of Vera and Jim. When the houses were demolished we all went to live in the flats on Coombe Place Crookes. Vera and Jim lived above us at number 6. Vera used to pop down to our flat every Saturday morning. I also remember the name Paramore but can't think who she was.

---------- Post added 06-09-2016 at 19:00 ----------

the girls name was Sylvia Butcher,i lived at 136 just above Laws shop,do you remember Hallams,Bockings,Crawshaws,Brays,Forsters,Greaham Reaney,Rowbothams,Brays,Johnsons,the other shops were Kelseys,Bentleys,& Hoggs chip shop,my maiden name was Rogers & my brother is Trevor,school head was Mr.Maltby others Bannister,Hall,Jones,Savage Miss Chadwick,Miss Marr,Miss Fenelon.....

I am Yvonne Bocking and lived at 135, I remember the Rowbothams and of course Kelseys shop with the penny lollies. My parents were good friends with Jim and Vera Butcher.

Hi I lived at number 135 Greaves Street my name was Yvonne Bocking and my parents Les and Joyce were good friends of Vera and Jim. When the houses were demolished we all went to live in the flats on Coombe Place Crookes. Vera and Jim lived above us at number 6. Vera used to pop down to our flat every Saturday morning. I also remember the name Paramore but can't think who she was.

Was 135 above or below the junction with Grammar St?

Was 135 above or below the junction with Grammar St?

It was above Grammar Street. I think the Marriotts lived just below Grammar Street. My mum Joyce worked in Cartwrights Chip Shop which I think was on Grammar Street. I also remember Judith Green, Jayne Potts and Karen and Diane Parker. There was also a wood yard near the genel next to the infant school. Happy days

It was above Grammar Street. I think the Marriotts lived just below Grammar Street. My mum Joyce worked in Cartwrights Chip Shop which I think was on Grammar Street. I also remember Judith Green, Jayne Potts and Karen and Diane Parker. There was also a wood yard near the genel next to the infant school. Happy days

I remember the Beckett girls who lived just down from the junction with Grammar st.

Beatie Hogg's Chip shop used to be a gathering point for the kids. She used to sell lovely brown chips, must have been the type of oil that they were fried in. She always struck me as rather odd. I think after the shop closed, I heard rumours that she had some kind of fit and threw bundles of fivers or something out of the bedroom window onto Freedom Street, perhaps someone could confirm this.

Hi carosio, I can remember the fiasco at Beatie Hoggs as if it were yesterday. You are correct that many of us at that time used to sit on the steps of the fish and chip shop. Beatie had retired a few years earlier but the bit about the fit was not the case. Her great nephew had gone to stay with her for a while from out of town and had been sent to our school (Walkley County) for a while. He was a bit of a quiet lad and did not fit in very well but that was soon to change. It all started one night when me and a few pals were sitting on the steps of the chip shop, suddenly the letter box flipped open and someone (the new kid) started stuffing five pound notes through it (loads of them) , now five pounds in those days was a fortune to us as at that time as we used to get about six old pence per week spending money.

Unfortunately it all ended in tears, as you can imagine suspicion was raised when half the kids in Greaves St and Grammar St were riding about on new bikes from Langsett's. The police were called, the new kid was expelled and we all had to give the money back (what was left of it)...Happy days...by the way Pete Glossop who lived at the chip shop on Grammar St is a good friend of mine and remembers many people from the Walkley area.

---------- Post added 09-09-2016 at 23:59 ----------

Beatie Hogg's Chip shop used to be a gathering point for the kids. She used to sell lovely brown chips, must have been the type of oil that they were fried in. She always struck me as rather odd. I think after the shop closed, I heard rumours that she had some kind of fit and threw bundles of fivers or something out of the bedroom window onto Freedom Street, perhaps someone could confirm this.

Hi carosio, I can remember the fiasco at Beatie Hoggs as if it were yesterday. You are correct that many of us at that time used to sit on the steps of the fish and chip shop. Beatie had retired a few years earlier but the bit about the fit was not the case. Her great nephew had gone to stay with her for a while from out of town and had been sent to our school (Walkley County) for a while. He was a bit of a quiet lad and did not fit in very well but that was soon to change. It all started one night when me and a few pals were sitting on the steps of the chip shop, suddenly the letter box flipped open and someone (the new kid) started stuffing five pound notes through it (loads of them) , now five pounds in those days was a fortune to us as at that time as we used to get about six old pence per week spending money.

Unfortunately it all ended in tears, as you can imagine suspicion was raised when half the kids in Greaves St and Grammar St were riding about on new bikes from Langsett's. The police were called, the new kid was expelled and we all had to give the money back (what was left of it)...Happy days...by the way Pete Glossop who lived at the chip shop on Grammar St is a good friend of mine and remembers many people from the Walkley area.

Did anyone here live in or do you remember the houses at the bottom of Greaves Street between the road and the Drill factory? Odd numbers 1-51 and Court 1. This might seem an odd question (and a long shot) but I am interested in the boundary between the gardens and the factory. Was it a wall or a fence, old or new? Was there a step down to the works? Did anyone comment on the fact that it was far from a straight line?

I am trying to learn all I can about the lost Rawson Spring Wood. I believe that the boundary between the houses and the factory preserved the boundary between the wood and the surrounding fields, the factory being "outside" and the houses being "inside".

Take a look at the maps in this blog post. The last is a detail from from the 1951 ordnance survey Walkley History: Rawson Spring Wood

Thanks in advance for any comments!

My mother used to live on grieves st around that time her name then was Kathleen bates she lived there from being a young girl she has now passed away and would be about 85 now regards Steve xx

I lived at 29 greaves street the stalker drill works ran behind our house, we had a yard and behind was a field, the boundry of stalker drill works was a stone built wall about six or seven feet high, it carried on behind the houses below which were in a court. in the court at the bottom of greaves street if I remember right was a stone wall so it could have gone all the way down.i hope this helps. Good luck at finding the lost wood.

Hello, My name is Fred Taylor and I went to school with Tony Towns and some others mentioned in this post. I remember feeling a bit jealous when Tony and his family emigrated to Australia. If Tony reads this I would like to say sorry for punching him on the nose on Greaves street on our way down from school. Sorry Tony.

The football player was Albert Broadbent he played for Sheffield Wednesday.

Albert Broadbent lived at 39 greaves st with his wife and daughter, of course in those days they were not millionaires, football was a job.

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 12:56 ----------

Hello, My name is Fred Taylor and I went to school with Tony Towns and some others mentioned in this post. I remember feeling a bit jealous when Tony and his family emigrated to Australia. If Tony reads this I would like to say sorry for punching him on the nose on Greaves street on our way down from school. Sorry Tony.

Hi Fred or as I remember you Freddy, I went to see my brother Tony and family in Ausralia in 2013 and we did a lot of remanising and you came up in conversation but he didn't mention getting punched on the nose. Sadly I can't pass on your apology as he passed away in 2014. His wife and two daughters live in the Melbourn area. you came as a blast from the past and its lovely to hear from you. hope you are well. regards ann