Help needed to remember greaves st

There was then a rumour that Tommy Cooper visited the Oriental Restaurant (opposite bottom of Greaves St) whilst on tour. Also I heard that a player for one of the Sheffield teams lived somewhere near the bottom end.

I used to go to Walkley school with a John Brookfield, he would be around 63 now.

yep went to school with john brookfield....will be 66 is now....

---------- Post added 03-09-2014 at 20:46 ----------

I knew a Jimmy Brammer who went to Walkley County, he will be around 64 now.

yep went to school with jimmy....prob 66 ish now

Does anyone remember any of the Glossop families that lived in that area?

Happy Days! PopT

Does anyone remember any of the Glossop families that lived in that area?

Happy Days! PopT

I remember a Peter Glossop, will be in his late sixties by now.

my mum lived on greaves st and my uncle tom and aunty betty. don't know much else but a long walk p from infirmary road

There was a chip shop operated by a Glossop family situated on Daniel Hill St. just above the Blake pub. They sold that business and moved out to Thryberg near Rotherham.

Hi Jmdee

Thanks for that. I was told the lady who owned the shop was called Patty and it is said she 'invented' the original Fish Patty which were very popular.

I was told there was also a Glossop who was a Bookmaker in the area, does anyone know anything about him?

It is said he dressed in the style of Al Capone & had links with the Moonie's?

Can anyone verify any of this or is this another Sheffield Legend?

Happy Days! PopT

I remember the Bentleys had the shop at the corner of Greaves st and Grammer st and they had a daughter named Diane.David Hopkinson nearly killed me in 1960 when he was coming down Wynyard rd on a fixed wheel pushbike where he couldnt reach the pedals.I was 18 then and was riding my brand new BSA C15 motor bike past the bottom of Wynyard and he cannoned into the side of me rendering me with a fractured skull and two weeks in the Infirmary.The cheeky sods at the ambulance service sent me his ambulance bill for 12/6 so i told them to get lost.Ive never seen him since.

There was then a rumour that Tommy Cooper visited the Oriental Restaurant (opposite bottom of Greaves St) whilst on tour. Also I heard that a player for one of the Sheffield teams lived somewhere near the bottom end.

The football player was Albert Broadbent he played for Sheffield Wednesday.

The football player was Albert Broadbent he played for Sheffield Wednesday.

Thanks for that!

Hello. I'm looking for people who remember my family from greaves street. They are the hollis family. They are Nellie. Harry. Arthur. Bill. Graham and allan.

Nellie and Arthur Def lived there until the houses were repossessed to be pulled down and then they went to live on kelvin flats. They were good friends with the Bockings for many many years.

I am trying to get some more info from my dad Graham. I know they lived at 137. Steve .

I went to both walkley schools leaving in 62 just before the move to Myers.

My parents had a newspaper business and I delivered on greaves, grammar and freedom streets.

I also had an uncle who lived on Hatterslet St. One of my mates Fromm greaves St was Mick Robotham who I am told moved south before he died.