Help needed to remember greaves st

I lived in Grammer st. opposite the chippy in the 50s went to parkside rd school hillsbro used harveys herbal shop good meeting place jukebox sasparella and football thanks to the owner Harvey .great area for sledging in winter , I think we used normanton rd off Grammer st. friends George davidson david Downing , Margaret Mcintyre(i think)& the Unwins ofthe small street between greaves & grammer st.I remember going round the streets at voting time with placards & chanting vote vote vote for Mr Darling Or Mr Patnick . those were the days

Was that the chippy near King James St? Also Bradley Place was the road with the Unwins, I knew Dudley. The sledging was on Normandale, they put down ashes and coke at the bottom so we wouldn't sledge into the main road.

the chippy was on the left just past the juction of Greaves st.& Grammer st.Do you remember the brick oller(waste ground) on Normandale Rd. left side going down used to play football on there.The ashes yes we used to empty the bins from all the houses at the bottom.great times not allowed today health & safety yuk.:D

the chippy was on the left just past the juction of Greaves st.& Grammer st.Do you remember the brick oller(waste ground) on Normandale Rd. left side going down used to play football on there.The ashes yes we used to empty the bins from all the houses at the bottom.great times not allowed today health & safety yuk.:D

There was Beaty Hogg's chipshop on the junction with Freedom St, I think there was one further up the hill on Grammar St but can't be sure.

The brick-hollow might have been where houses were bombed in the war, again cant be sure. The Stalker Drill works lower down had a concrete roofed air raid shelter below ground level, possibly for the workers there as they used to make drills to M.O.D. spec for the war effort.

Hi carosio , I am sure i used to know Dudley Unwin! I lived opposite the chippy on Grammer st .I also knew a girl called Margaret Makensy or Mcintyre from Freedom st. i think .Yes you are right about the bick oller above Stalker Drill works , you jogged my memory . I was about 13 when i left the area and moved to Wadsley Bridge.

Hello, I used to visit my relations on the little triangle that was made up of lower Greaves Street, lower Grammar Street and Bradley Place. I have great memories of those streets although I was only 10 when they demolished them about 1970. Can anyone remember the Kirks and Coltmans on Greaves Street, and The Phillips on Grammar Street? My dad took me back to look when they'd all been demolished and it was amazing to see how small that tiny triangle of land was that contained all those houses. I am also related to the Parkins, Oates, Greaves, Sayles and Foers that lived in those streets much earlier :)

i used to live at the corner of bradley place and greaves street. we used to live at the shop at the corner of bradley place it was owned by Mrs Sharpe

Just re-read your previous posts in this thread charles66. I can't remember the shop you mention. I can remember Bentleys(?) shop on the top corner. My grandparents lived 38 Greaves Street. great grandparents 40 Greaves Street and 178 Grammar Street.

The shop closed about 1955 .The shop was in greaves street were we lived was in bradley place. the people next door were called swan i new stella swan

My Father in Law (Sydney Whittaker) sadly passed away recently and we discovered that he was born at 27 Greaves Street in 1925, where his mother and father John and Clara Whittaker lived. She died in 1961 whilst still living in 27 Greaves Street. Does anybody have any memories of the Whittaker family or pictures so that my wife can see them. Thank you.

yer my mother was from greaves st also my granddad aunt and uncle their names were bates my granddad was joseph, my mum was Kathleen, my aunt was betty bates and my uncle was tom. unfortunately all have passed away now may they RIP MY GRAND MOTHER WHO LIVED THERE DIED IN 1951 BEFORE I WAS BORN

I got Clara Watts birth Certificate today and I see that she was born on Court Fowler Street, That is my best guess to oldy worldy writing. Does anybody know of this street and was it in Sheffield. I know it's not now as it doesn't come up on Google Maps. I do hope somebody can help. Cheers all.

I got Clara Watts birth Certificate today and I see that she was born on Court Fowler Street, That is my best guess to oldy worldy writing. Does anybody know of this street and was it in Sheffield. I know it's not now as it doesn't come up on Google Maps. I do hope somebody can help. Cheers all.

It was the next but one street on from Woodside Lane,

Sheffield Indexers has Watts burials on Fowler St.

Edited by retep