Help needed to remember greaves st

I'm Robert Bloomfield and played with your Trevor sometimes. Was 136 a back to back like 116 was? I remember many of the family names you mention. Hallams kept coal in the bath in their slop kitchen. You have missed Wrights shop off your list it was opposite Bentleys. I remember Beatie Hogg and being told off if you asked for mushy peas and hadn't brought your own basin or indeed newspaper. Do you remember my brother Richard and sisters Molly and Frances? We were all sent to Morley Street school because it was too far to return home at dinner time as my mother didn't want the bother of feeding us.

I Google Earth Greaves Street recently but it is so changed now I cannot make sense of the pictures, I have lived in London for over 30years but I'm still a little Sheffielder. Please remember me to your Trevor.

If i put my mind back i could name a lot more people on both sides of the street from the very bottom up to the school...

I lived in the first shop going up greaves st on the right hand at the corner of

greaves st and bradley place from 1945 to 1953

I lived in the first shop going up greaves st on the right hand at the corner of

greaves st and bradley place from 1945 to 1953

i guess you would know Irene Beers & Stella Swan who lived on Bradley Place,we were in the same class at walkley school

So that was just below Bentleys corner shop. Were there some very old cottages there with pitch roofs. Probably one up and one down and possibly back to backs?

So that was just below Bentleys corner shop. Were there some very old cottages there with pitch roofs. Probably one up and one down and possibly back to backs?

thats right,our grandma lived in Grammar Street facing Braldley Place,our cousins lived there too Andrea,Marilyn,John & Joanne Herring,can you remember Bramalls who lived just below what was a store for Parazone bleach? up the yard just below yours was a joinery shop run by Mr.Reaney if memory serves me right he used to make coffins there.can you remember when we used to have Bonfire in middle of road that everyone joined in then council had to come every year & retarmac road..all home made entertainment !!:D

yes i remember stella swan they lived next door and the used to put on a

pantomine in the back yard

yes i remember stella swan they lived next door and the used to put on a

pantomine in the back yard

I saw Stella last week when shopping at Hillsborough,she hasnt altered at all one or wo of the others whose parents moved up here at stannington live here as well so its nice to keep in touch

i moved from greaves st to stannington in 1953 i lived on croft rd near dysons field my

dad worked at dysons and my local was the peacock

I remember Jack and Winnie Heath and their daughter Jaqualine they lived at no 55,they left and went to become caretakers at Burton st school.

thats right,our grandma lived in Grammar Street facing Braldley Place,our cousins lived there too Andrea,Marilyn,John & Joanne Herring,can you remember Bramalls who lived just below what was a store for Parazone bleach? up the yard just below yours was a joinery shop run by Mr.Reaney if memory serves me right he used to make coffins there.can you remember when we used to have Bonfire in middle of road that everyone joined in then council had to come every year & retarmac road..all home made entertainment !!:D

Yes I do remember Mrs Bramall and playing in her house. One of her neighbours or perhaps it was the Bramhalls had a big black dog called Peggy which would lay on the pavement in the hot weather and would not move to allow people to walk round it.

Now the Parazone shop was I think the Keatons who had a son my age called Barry. The bleach bottles had a label depicting a large black woman wearing a turban & smiling while hanging out washing. We kids called her "The Ozone Lady."

The yard by us that you mention was the Smiths and the Chamberlains. I remember a joiner called Eric who had a workshop in there but don't know his surname. Looking back he must have been the only adult we called by the christian name. Yes coffins were made there and my sister Molly played in them. That yard had a horse trough and numerous stables from when there were no or very few cars and lorrys. I spent goodness how many hours down the years playing in there.

A neighbour of yours would have been the Potts. Even to me as a child Mrs Potts looked thin and gaunt as though undernourished. I remember they used candles when they couldn't afford to put a penny in the electric meter.

When I think about it I have got Bramhalls name mixed up with Palmer. Now I feel sure the house next to the Parazone shop was Mrs Palmers. And now though I remember the surname of Bramhall I cannot remember where in Greaves street the family lived.

Hi robertathome - very few Kelly's directories are available on the Internet, but I happen to have some of the books. I looked in the 1942 and 1968 directories, but no occupants of Hattersley Street are shown. However, looking in the directories, and also at old maps, it is clear that Hattersley Street was a short street leading off from the west (i.e. Walkley) side of Grammar Street, with Poplar Street and Gould Street leading off from Hattersley Street. I can only guess that these three streets consisted of back-to-back or "court" houses. For some strange reason, the occupants of these properties were not listed by Kelly's. Sorry!.:(

Hi hillsbro, I lived on Gould St for many years. The houses on these three cul-de-sacs were not court houses but had a front and back door leading into a yard. On each corner of Hattersley Street was a grocers shop, one was Butterworth's, the other I can't remember. The top end had a stone wall over which was a field belonging to Rawson's farm.