London hotels/accommodation recommendations

Either travel from sheffield to St Pancras, or go via Doncaster to Kings Cross - which we often do as they're nicer trains, but it'll take a bit longer factoring in the journey to Doncaster (we don't have to pay for tickets, but you may find it's cheaper to do this depending on offers)

Last time we stayed in London we stayed at the hotel attached to Chelsea's ground , where we got a good deal as it wasn't a home match weekend

Once stayed at the Premier Inn at County Hall which is right by the London Eye and cost about £80-£90 for a Saturday night (took the other half to see Dirty Dancing musical). Sunday we took a stroll along the South Bank to go to the London Dungeon and passed another Premier Inn further along near Tower Bridge, might be a bit cheaper than the one at County Hall.

You can only really travel into St Pancras from Sheffield as that's where the midland line goes. Unless you want the hassle of changing trains at Doncaster - which I never think is worth it because the ticket prices are not any cheaper these days. If you can book 12 weeks in advance that's when the cheapest tickets are on sale.

As for hotels you cant go wrong with Premier Inn in either Kings Cross or County Hall which are in the centre and not too expensive for central london.

If you on a really tight budget try Ascot Hyde Park Hotel which is only usually around £40 per night and nearly opposite Paddington Station - its a bit rough round the edges but better than any other B&B in London.

You will have to tube travel between the attractions no matter where you stay though as Madam Tussauds / London Eye etc are no where near each other.

Hi forummers!

I know there are lots of sites i can get information on this topic,but i'm hoping some of you could advise me.

It's my daughters 12th birthday in August,and she wants to go to London.We will be travelling by train from Sheffield,and returning the next day..

My daughter wants to visit Madame Tousaards,London Eye,Buckingham Palace,Harrods and the bright lights at night.

Which London station would be best to arrive at (from Sheffield) Any hotel information around said attractions(not too expensive) Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SHANE.

Train to St Pancras, stay at St Giles Hotel just off Tottenham court road you can then walk to most of the attractions or get there by a short tube ride!

Kings cross isn't the nicest area of london btw :suspect: I'd look for somewhere a short tube ride away

Another vote for Premier Inn at County Hall - a fantastic place to stay, right on the river by the Millenium Eye and over the bridge from the Houses of Parliament (contact your mp to organise a FREE tour of Parliament).

Instead of using the underground, why not use a bus - you get to see so much more of London, it's quicker and less walking between platforms! Make sure you get an Oyster card (one per person) when you arrive and load it up with money, you then swipe it each time you go on the bus or, if using the underground swipe as you enter the station and then again as you leave (if you don't swipe when you leave it will charge you a LOT more for your trip). An Oyster card allows you to make journeys for a fraction of 'normal' tourist prices!

As you're travelling by train, go to this site:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/?gclid=CKTq8aayoakCFQNP4QodhErpuA

and you'll be able to chose a range of 2 for 1 entry tickets (make sure you read the instructions properly, you may need 1 voucher for each 2 for 1, eg: 2 adults and 2 kids = 2 vouchers)

A Family and Friends Railcard will save you some money on the train tickets. But you might need to use it more than once to make it pay for itself.

It is a few years since we've been, but look into pre-booking some of the sights.

I know when we went we pre-booked the London Eye and then got half-price tickets to Madame Tussauds with a queue jump.

If you're ex forces you can stay at the Union Jack Club which is near Waterloo station.

Be prepared to queue for ages unless you pre book as mentioned above.

Try to visit one of the museums if you can. They are free and are a bit more chilled out than the "major" attractions. Also may be a good place to cool down in August.

Book the train well in advance if you can and don't forget to book the seats.

just stayed at Days Hotel near Wembley - squeaky clean - food fine - can recommend highly

A Family and Friends Railcard will save you some money on the train tickets. But you might need to use it more than once to make it pay for itself.

I will also give you a reduction on your day travel passes for all public transport in London.