Nhs walk in centre broad lane

It annoyed me when the doctor asked me what was wrong.

Is that not the doctors job?

Really? my lord.

No wonder there is a three hour waiting time with patients like you. You might as well walk in and say Doc, guess which number im thinking off?

How are they honestly supposed to make a diagnosis without knowing the symptoms and your current condition. Do you expect to walk into a shop and they know what you want? or perhaps walk into a solicitor and them to know what advice to give?

Oh dear, you just went from a general comment to a personal one :)

And I see you still haven't learnt and are therefore still looking foolish.

It's always best to go to the walk in centre early in the day, that way you don't wait long at all, last time i went i was advised by the nhs direct to go at 8am to avoid being sat there for hours, sure enough when i got there i was seen within 15mins max. And the nurse was very helpful.

It annoyed me when the doctor asked me what was wrong.

Is that not the doctors job?

What do you think he should have done? Tried to sell you double glazing?

Offered you a choice of continental beers and lagers?

Measure you up for a suit?

Some people....

I've had one visit to Broad Lane as I normally go to my GP who runs a reasonably accessible appointment system.

I had no preconceived expectations, except that I understood that people presenting with more urgent problems would be seen before me. I took a book, and some water, just in case!

I went at around 2.30 pm on a weekday, was given a form to fill in, then was triaged within 15 minutes by a nurse. I was then referred to a practitioner (not a doctor) for a diagnosis. I probably waited about another 30 minutes tops to see her. She seemed very competent and professional, she put my mind at rest, and I went home.

I think people need to realise that services that are open to everyone do get overloaded, and extra staff can't just be magicked out of the woodwork. If it had been very busy when I visited, I'd have left and returned the next morning unless my problem was very urgent. If it was more urgent than others who were waiting, I'd have expected it to be identified at triage and fast tracked.

My one and only experience was pretty positive, and I'd probably use the service again.

If people feel they aren't getting a decent level of service, then they should inform the NHS. These centres may be managed by private firms, but they work for the NHS, which is a public organisation, and accountable to us all. How can we expect improvements if no-one tells them they are getting it wrong.

Contact details are here: http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/complaints/

Edited by Ms Macbeth

I visited Broad Lane recently and had no problems at all. It was 7pm on a Saturday night and I was seen and on my merry way within an hour.

They were also very clear at reception that I may not get to see a doctor (i.e: a nurse instead) unless I was prepared to wait longer. Luckily I didn't mind as long as I got a prescription!

The guy I saw was really really funny as well

Me: I think I have tonsilitas (excuse spelling) and I'm going away soon

Him: Where are you going?

Me: Portugal

Him: Oh you can't go there if you have had tonsilitas recently, there's an epidemic

Me: (At this point in pain and lacking humour) Oh no, I hope its covered on my insurance.

You did well, last time I went it was packed and was told a three hour wait minimum.

You can only hope someone in the NHS heirachy is monitoring the situation!

And I see you still haven't learnt and are therefore still looking foolish.

:) looking foolish and being foolish are two very different things :)

Can I ask what makes you think I look foolish?

I could come out with personal comments regarding yourself. Like for example how I bet you look as obese as the fictional character Obelix :hihi:

Anyway, TTFN x

You did well, last time I went it was packed and was told a three hour wait minimum.

You can only hope someone in the NHS heirachy is monitoring the situation!

I too hope that someone is monitoring the situation.

One recommendation I can make is that when a person is called up they get one minutes to report to the desk. If they fail to report in that time they lose their place. No waiting around for them and on to the next patient.

My first experience of this centre only because I could not get an appointment with my GP until a week on Friday.

The initial waiting time indicated was 3 hours and then went up.

No complaint about the eventual advice and treatment but it's not a great thing to wait 4 hours when you are not feeling so good.

Perhaps it is under resourced or another similar one is needed for the Sheffield catchment area.

My first experience of this centre only because I could not get an appointment with my GP until a week on Friday.

The initial waiting time indicated was 3 hours and then went up.

No complaint about the eventual advice and treatment but it's not a great thing to wait 4 hours when you are not feeling so good.

Perhaps it is under resourced or another similar one is needed for the Sheffield catchment area.

I had a very similar experience when I was there last month. I was advised to go there for anti viral meds when I developed very painful shingles on a Friday evening after my GP surgery closed. I expected it to be very busy given it was a Saturday but was stunned by the amount of people waiting to be seen.My daughter in law who was visiting from London said surely this can't be the only drop in facility for the whole of a city the size of Sheffield One thing I did notice was the number of small children being brought in. Does the Children's not deal with minor cases now?. I'm sure when my two were small we could take them to the Children's for anything. As the previous posted says, the wait was horrendous but once I got seen the advice and care were second to non. The nurse practitioner I saw was exceptional and so kind and patient with me when I was a bit low and feeling very sorry for myself.

Edited by mrs grissom

There is Mrs Grissom, there's one at the Herries Road entrance to the Northern General