Pub of the year ?

Four Sheffield pubs in the top ten is not a bad effort......To think Norwich and Derby think they're the real ale capital of the country....PAH!!!

Dunno about Derby but there are a few people in East Anglia who are convinced that Norwich is the centre of the real ale universe.

To be fair Norwich does have loads of great pubs, and a brilliant beer festival but Sheffield has more great pubs, and Sheffield's real ale pubs are not as far apart as the ones in Norwich.

I don't think many people would agree it's the best pub in the country (or even in Sheffield) when judging on general pub criteria. The best pub in Sheff/the country might have just one never-changing cask beer (conceivably it might even have none, though personally I couldn't vote for that). For many people, an enormous, ever-changing range of cask ales is not the most important criteria when judging 'the best pub'.

One interesting thing to do is take real ale drinkers from elsewhere in the country on a wee drinking tour of Sheffield and see what people like. I know some who find that they really like the Wellington, some who are blown away by the Sheffield Tap, and so forth.

During the CAMRA AGM in April I took a few delegates from Colchester on a No. 43 bus pub crawl taking in The Coach & Horses, Sheaf View, Rutland Arms and ending at The Harlequin. Of these pubs The Coach & Horses was liked the most as it was considered the most comfortable. Sheaf View and Rutland Arms were also highly rated.

Notts-phil ,You have mail.

Hi. I don't run a pub at all but i think there are better ones than the KIT. The ethics of it just concerned me so I asked the question !!!

Rising Sun = Safe Pub For Old Men

better that than a dangerous pub for young men

kelham island great pub!

I visited the Kelham Island Tavern when I moved into the area 2 years ago. I know that it was a real ale type place but I thought that as it's a pub it may well sell other alcoholic beverages.

I asked one of the staff behind the bar which lagers were available and he looked at me as if I had asked to sleep with his wife !

His welcoming reply was, "if you want that muck, you need to go into town".

So I promptly did just that and haven't been in since. There's more to a great pub than the beer that they sell, hospitality goes a long way too.

I visited the Kelham Island Tavern when I moved into the area 2 years ago. I know that it was a real ale type place but I thought that as it's a pub it may well sell other alcoholic beverages.

I asked one of the staff behind the bar which lagers were available and he looked at me as if I had asked to sleep with his wife !

So I promptly did just that and haven't been in since. There's more to a great pub than the beer that they sell, hospitality goes a long way too.

That's real ale snobbery.whilst i love my ale I can't stand that attitude.I don't mind a drop of proper lager though:)

:hihi: You sure you did not go in and ask for a pint of Fosters??:hihi: coz i would have asked you to do one as well:hihi:

I've found that attitude at the KIT as well. I took back a cloudy pint (with 12 pumps you're bound to get "dregs" or beer that's been stood in the pipes for hours occasionally) and they tried to fob me off with an excuse that "that's how the brewery recommend it's served".

IMHO the KIT can't pull a pint to match those in the Blake.

Nowt special about kelham Island,bankers draft is far far better and much cheaper too.

Yep... I think the staff leave a lot to be desired sometimes... I mentioned this on a thread about a year ago and got laughed out of the forum!

One of our group had a soft drink which turned out to be flat - on returning it to the bar I was met with a very rude - you've picked up an old (full!) drink that's been sat and has gone flat, nothing for you reaction.

We all took our drinks back to the bar and walked out... not been back in since...

Shame as in previous visits I'd made, they had some decent ales on... just turned out that once I got to experience how they handle problems...

I've found that attitude at the KIT as well. I took back a cloudy pint (with 12 pumps you're bound to get "dregs" or beer that's been stood in the pipes for hours occasionally) and they tried to fob me off with an excuse that "that's how the brewery recommend it's served".

IMHO the KIT can't pull a pint to match those in the Blake.

Never had a bad pint in the KIT, despite going almost weekly since it was the White Hart (had an awful pint on my one visit to that Pub!) so the QC in there is exceptional. Unless the beer actually tasted or smelled 'off' as well as being cloudy, they were probably right not to automatically give you another pint.

On the other hand, the beer in the KIT is not always the most interesting (to my taste anyway). Must try the Blake one day soon...