Pub of the year ?

you can't deny that the range of beers in the dev cat is exceptional. i'm not a huge fan of the interior or atmosphere though.

Agree 100% soul less place. Off to try the Blake hotel this weekend, as a fan of its sister pub the Sheaf View cant wait.

I notice the Railway near Hillsbrough has opened with real ales on..any feedback at all?

I visited the Kelham Island Tavern when I moved into the area 2 years ago. I know that it was a real ale type place but I thought that as it's a pub it may well sell other alcoholic beverages.

I asked one of the staff behind the bar which lagers were available and he looked at me as if I had asked to sleep with his wife !

His welcoming reply was, "if you want that muck, you need to go into town".

So I promptly did just that and haven't been in since. There's more to a great pub than the beer that they sell, hospitality goes a long way too.

Went in the same pub a few months back,my misses asked if they sold Carling small old shifty looking bloke behind the bar said we dont serve that here only proper lager.When i told him it was one of the best selling lagers in the uk he asked me what i know about brewing beers or lagers, I replyed that i had worked in a brewery for 16 years[bass] so i know what i was talking about,His reply was that they [bass Charringtons ] did not brew decent beers for todays market.Felt like knocking his lights out with an attitude like that.

Went in the same pub a few months back,my misses asked if they sold Carling small old shifty looking bloke behind the bar said we dont serve that here only proper lager.When i told him it was one of the best selling lagers in the uk he asked me what i know about brewing beers or lagers, I replyed that i had worked in a brewery for 16 years[bass] so i know what i was talking about,His reply was that they [bass Charringtons ] did not brew decent beers for todays market.Felt like knocking his lights out with an attitude like that.

The barman is right, though.

Agree 100% soul less place. Off to try the Blake hotel this weekend, as a fan of its sister pub the Sheaf View cant wait.

I notice the Railway near Hillsbrough has opened with real ales on..any feedback at all?

The Railway is slowly building up trade and extending the days it opens accordingly, at the moment it is weekends only.

Nice comfy pub, fairly big but split into 3 or 4 rooms, friendly landlady and three real ales on - two from Thwaites and one from Bradfield when I went in.

The barman is right, though.

Yep very true.although he could have a better attitude carling is mass produced rubbish!.why drink that when u can have tel lager

or have a nice reliable lager:hihi:

Of course a lot of the good real ale pubs that have made the effort only to serve decent ale have applied a similar principle to the lager too and stock genuine good quality European lagers rather than the awful imitation stuff or the nasty cooking lager brewed in the UK.

This is why pubs like the Kelham offer Warsteiner and the Tap offers Bernard Pilsener. You won't find the likes of Carling, Fosters or Stella in either - nor, I suspect, do they like the type of clientele such products attract.

The Railway is slowly building up trade and extending the days it opens accordingly, at the moment it is weekends only.

Nice comfy pub, fairly big but split into 3 or 4 rooms, friendly landlady and three real ales on - two from Thwaites and one from Bradfield when I went in.

I like thwaites beers:)

I like thwaites beers:)

Good - do pay the pub a visit if you can, I think this really is a venture worth supporting and will probably be a case of use it or lose it.

Good - do pay the pub a visit if you can, I think this really is a venture worth supporting and will probably be a case of use it or lose it.

Yep definately

I asked for a beer to be served with a sparkler the other week and someone asked me if i was a camra member , i said yes, he said you cant when you are asking for a sparkler!.

I retorted it was how i liked my beer served!!.

Yep definately

I asked for a beer to be served with a sparkler the other week and someone asked me if i was a camra member , i said yes, he said you cant when you are asking for a sparkler!.

I retorted it was how i liked my beer served!!.

Normally it's Southern real ale drinkers asking for the sparklers to be taken off!

the punchbowl gleadless area

That is something I intend to do for exactly the same reason. Go to Sheaf View every Sunday dinner and love the place.