Pub of the year ?

Rising Sun = Safe Pub For Old Men

I am an old man and I like safe pubs !

That's real ale snobbery.whilst i love my ale I can't stand that attitude.I don't mind a drop of proper lager though:)

Quite agree. Nothing like trying a selection of authentic European lagers on a nice sunny day.

Quite agree. Nothing like trying a selection of authentic European lagers on a nice sunny day.

Yep give me an erdinger when the sun is shinning!

First of all I am a CAMRA member and one of my local haunts is the Kelham Island Tavern. Andy C has indicated how the Pub of the Year is chosen and as they are using for the final decision the 'national model' I think it is as fair as it can be. The fact that other pubs can't raise their game to beat the KIT is their fault. Sheffield has some great pubs selling some great beer and I visit a fair few but sniping that the KIT only wins cause CAMRA staff work there is just ********. What people forget to understand is that CAMRA is a volunteer based interest society and as such the quality of local branches is dependant on how active those volunteers are. The down side to winning these awards is that the KIT gets too many drongos visiting on Friday and Saturday nights.

First of all I am a CAMRA member and one of my local haunts is the Kelham Island Tavern. Andy C has indicated how the Pub of the Year is chosen and as they are using for the final decision the 'national model' I think it is as fair as it can be. The fact that other pubs can't raise their game to beat the KIT is their fault. Sheffield has some great pubs selling some great beer and I visit a fair few but sniping that the KIT only wins cause CAMRA staff work there is just ********. What people forget to understand is that CAMRA is a volunteer based interest society and as such the quality of local branches is dependant on how active those volunteers are. The down side to winning these awards is that the KIT gets too many drongos visiting on Friday and Saturday nights.

Drongos putting good money behind the bar, and helping keep pubs alive. Just because some of the people who drink in the KIT don't understand that some of the real ale has the aroma of badger foist and toenail fluff doesn't mean they can't enjoy a decent pint.

I'd rather dip in and out of real ale pubs, enjoy the new flavours than get obsessed and clicky, smelling a bit, growing a poor beard and looking down my nose at 'drongos'.

Drongos putting good money behind the bar, and helping keep pubs alive. Just because some of the people who drink in the KIT don't understand that some of the real ale has the aroma of badger foist and toenail fluff doesn't mean they can't enjoy a decent pint.

Actually, one of the nice things about real ale pubs is that you have loads of choice, so if one beer tastes of "badger foist and toenail fluff" you can always choose another which doesn't.

Actually, one of the nice things about real ale pubs is that you have loads of choice, so if one beer tastes of "badger foist and toenail fluff" you can always choose another which doesn't.

or have a nice reliable lager:hihi:

or have a nice reliable lager:hihi:

By reliable, do you mean reliably crap? :hihi:

Never had a bad pint in the KIT, despite going almost weekly since it was the White Hart (had an awful pint on my one visit to that Pub!) so the QC in there is exceptional. Unless the beer actually tasted or smelled 'off' as well as being cloudy, they were probably right not to automatically give you another pint.

It did taste off - ie yeasty - like if you'd drunk the full pint you'd be spending a lot of time on the toilet.

If you drink enough it is inevitable you'll get the end of a barrel no matter where you drink. It's more likely these days when pubs will have a larger number of small barrels in the cellar rather than a few of the old hogsheads.

I've never been but personally don't know how anywhere beats the dev cat.love that place they have loads of local beers and great international ones too

you can't deny that the range of beers in the dev cat is exceptional. i'm not a huge fan of the interior or atmosphere though.

you can't deny that the range of beers in the dev cat is exceptional. i'm not a huge fan of the interior or atmosphere though.

I hate the atmosphere..it's like an aircraft hanger and it only takes a group of 4-5 people to raise the volume level of the whole place. Friday afternoon braying suits are the worst but the acoustics of the place are awful at the best of times.

It's OK for what it is...it's not a "pub".