Pub of the year ?

A current favourite of mine is the Rutland Arms on Brown Street and lets not forget some of the out of town pubs - the Commercial at Chapeltown for example is very good and I predict Dronfield is an up and coming drinking town.

A current favourite of mine is the Rutland Arms on Brown Street and lets not forget some of the out of town pubs - the Commercial at Chapeltown for example is very good and I predict Dronfield is an up and coming drinking town.

Agree with your selections, be it The Commercial has links with Wentworth Brewery and the brill Coach and Horses in Dronfield has links with Thornbridge Brewery. Love both but a wider range might help their cause at the Coach and Horses.

Again out of town but.. the Rockingham and George and Dragon in Wentworth..and the Parish Oven in Thorpe Salvin are well worth a visit.

Edited by TAT

Yes I'm a big fan of the Rutland Arms. Also really like The Washington, The Red Deer, The Bath Hotel and Fagans.

No, definately being brewed in Wolverhampton by Marstons at the former Wolverhampton & Dudley (Banks) brewery.

Sorry Andy your wrong.its going to carlsbergs site.in northampton

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetley's_Brewery

http://gregmulholland.org/en/article/2011/489879/leeds-pubs-bars-and-clubs-urged-to-boycott-carlsberg-as-tetley-s-brewery-closure-date-set?display=Mobile

Edited by notts_phil

I know it's not in Sheffield, but the Bay Horse in Scholes is a lovely little pub, a small collection of real ales that change constantly (albeit a little pricey). Glad i managed to stumple across it one day! :)

A decent pint of Tetley's is a rare thing these days, and even when you get a good one it's not as good as it used to be. The nearest I have had in recent years is in the Redoubt in Wakefield. But it's not even brewed in Leeds any more, it's produced in flipping Wolverhampton! It's gone the same way as Boddies and Stones. Scandalous.

Another reason why the small beweries are worth supporting.

Yes, I'd heard that the Leeds brewery was going to be closed down.

Boddingtons was a fabulous drink in the sixties and seventies. When the Tories passed a law that limited the number of tied houses a brewery could own, Boddingtons decided to sell the brand and brewery to Whitbread and keep the pubs, so becoming a property company. Whitbread concentrated on promoting the brand (the cream of Manchester etc.) whilst at the same time altering the drink itself beyond all recognition. Tragic.

Rising Sun, forgot that one! In fact I'd probably switch that with the Dev Cat on my top 3!

Rising Sun = Safe Pub For Old Men

Andy - is there a full list of the top 20 anywhere please?

rutland arms was too noisy when i last went in. and its not cheap either.

this years CAMRA national pub of the year isn't anywhere near as good as the KIT. i cannot understand how the harp managed to win, its an average london boozer.

Apparently the Harp has improved a lot with it's beer since I was last in.

I was in the Cask & Kitchen on Thursday night. My favourite London pub and oddly enough, it had a presentation for CAMRA SW London pub of the year that very night!

Also went in the Euston Tap the night before. Met the one person I know who sell's Henderson's Relish Crisps down south and was introduced to the chap who won Masterchef as well.

Apparently the Harp has improved a lot with it's beer since I was last in.

I was in the Cask & Kitchen on Thursday night. My favourite London pub and oddly enough, it had a presentation for CAMRA SW London pub of the year that very night!

Also went in the Euston Tap the night before. Met the one person I know who sell's Henderson's Relish Crisps down south and was introduced to the chap who won Masterchef as well.

..which was nice.

:D

I went down Covent Garden last month failed to find the Harp, but loads of good real aless pubs in the area, Lamb and Flag i have used for 30 year...Charles Dickens old local !! dates back to 1610 !!

London was the pits 30 year ago, Courage ,Watneys, Inn Coupe.. now you go down Covent Garden and the West End almost every pub has real ale. And the prices are closing on the north south devide.

But saying that have just entertained 3 southern friends, 1 pint of lager, 1 1/2 pint of bitter and a lemonade £5 dead !!

A good pint of Sam Smiths in the "New Broom" Rotherham. A very reasonable pint @ £1.53 a pint !!

London is coming on leaps and bounds with quality beer at the moment, although a lot of the top places do have an emphasis on foreign stuff from the likes of Mikkeller and various US breweries. Best beer I had on my London visit last week was De Molen Hemel & Aarde, expensive but quite frankly amazing barrell aged beer.