Pub of the year ?

I guess it's all about personal opinion, but KIT would be in my top 3 in Sheffield.

I'd probably go:

1. Dev Cat - Permanent Jaipur, nice surroundings and a good mix of people.

2. KIT - Great beer selection (only once have I not found something I fancy) and the 2nd best beer garden only being beaten by the Carbrook.

3. Sheffield Tap - Thornbridge Heaven, although a bit pricey.

I use this website to check out pubs when I'm going for a beer outside Sheffield.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/

Four Sheffield pubs in the top ten is not a bad effort......To think Norwich and Derby think they're the real ale capital of the country....PAH!!!

Regards

Doom

Cheers for the link, very useful!

I'm certainly not saying the KIT is a rubbish pub, far from it, it's just not a personal favourite!

My top 3, difficult!!

1. Fat Cat - Lovely beer garden, good range of beers.

2. Devonshire Cat - Excellent beers, good food, good location.

3. Sheaf View - Good value, good choice.

I think we're pretty lucky in Sheffield, there's a good few 'decent' pubs I've never got around to visiting yet, there's just so many good ones.

Really must try out: Gardners Rest, Blake and Red Deer soon as heard good things about them all!

None of these real ale joints ever seem to have a decent pint of Tetleys for sale. Why is this? The only decent thing to come out of L@@@s.

A decent pint of Tetley's is a rare thing these days, and even when you get a good one it's not as good as it used to be. The nearest I have had in recent years is in the Redoubt in Wakefield. But it's not even brewed in Leeds any more, it's produced in flipping Wolverhampton! It's gone the same way as Boddies and Stones. Scandalous.

Another reason why the small beweries are worth supporting.

Edited by Bilge

Cheers for the link, very useful!

I'm certainly not saying the KIT is a rubbish pub, far from it, it's just not a personal favourite!

My top 3, difficult!!

1. Fat Cat - Lovely beer garden, good range of beers.

2. Devonshire Cat - Excellent beers, good food, good location.

3. Sheaf View - Good value, good choice.

I think we're pretty lucky in Sheffield, there's a good few 'decent' pubs I've never got around to visiting yet, there's just so many good ones.

Really must try out: Gardners Rest, Blake and Red Deer soon as heard good things about them all!

I would add the Harlequin to that list of pubs worth visiting. It has a wide range of beers but usually has the best selection of the darker styles that I prefer.

I would add the Harlequin to that list of pubs worth visiting. It has a wide range of beers but usually has the best selection of the darker styles that I prefer.

Definately, like the Harlequin and was difficult to leave it out of my top 3!

We had a three course Sunday lunch there a while back, with a beer to match each course and it was absolutely fantastic. Excellent choices of beer and really good value. Landlord always seems a nice bloke too.

By the way I heartily recommend the new 'Real ale guide to Sheffield and district' book (CAMRA, £4.95) now on sale. The previous edition was invaluable but this is even better, updated with nice colour pics and lots more detail and fits snugly in the coat pocket. Well done to those who produced it (AndyC et al I guess?). Not sure on its availability, but I got my copy in the Hillsbro Hotel.

By the way I heartily recommend the new 'Real ale guide to Sheffield and district' book (CAMRA, £4.95) now on sale. The previous edition was invaluable but this is even better, updated with nice colour pics and lots more detail and fits snugly in the coat pocket. Well done to those who produced it (AndyC et al I guess?). Not sure on its availability, but I got my copy in the Hillsbro Hotel.

Will look out for it, saw a copy in the Fat Cat a while back. Sounds very 'useful'!

The Blake is fast becoming a fave of mine, especially for a few quiet afternoon drinkies as I hear it gets pretty busy in the evening.

My votes go to The Greystones ( Thornbridge) and The Rising Sun

( Abbeydale)

A decent pint of Tetley's is a rare thing these days, and even when you get a good one it's not as good as it used to be. The nearest I have had in recent years is in the Redoubt in Wakefield. But it's not even brewed in Leeds any more, it's produced in flipping Wolverhampton! It's gone the same way as Boddies and Stones. Scandalous.

Another reason why the small beweries are worth supporting.

It'd.northampton, not wolverhampton

Never had a bad pint in KIT so that has to be up there, along with Sheaf View and Rutland. Not keen on Thornbridge so Sheffield Tap not on my list.

Henry's has a decent selection and price wise is very reasonable, £1.95 for a pint of Long Blonde!

It'd.northampton, not wolverhampton

No, definately being brewed in Wolverhampton by Marstons at the former Wolverhampton & Dudley (Banks) brewery.

My votes go to The Greystones ( Thornbridge) and The Rising Sun

( Abbeydale)

Rising Sun, forgot that one! In fact I'd probably switch that with the Dev Cat on my top 3!