Pub of the year ?

People need to remember that these are a select group of people (CAMRA members) voting mainly on the basis of the beer. Andy has given the criteria they vote on above and that's fair enough.

But when it then appears in the Sheff Telegraph it gives the general public the misleading impression the KIT is generally considered the best pub in the country by some scientific poll of pub-goers. The average person then goes there and thinks 'Hmmm it's OK, but...'.

I don't think many people would agree it's the best pub in the country (or even in Sheffield) when judging on general pub criteria. The best pub in Sheff/the country might have just one never-changing cask beer (conceivably it might even have none, though personally I couldn't vote for that). For many people, an enormous, ever-changing range of cask ales is not the most important criteria when judging 'the best pub'.

And as stated earlier, a pub with a CAMRA display, and no doubt a handful of CAMRA application forms.. gets a few extra brownie points!

this years CAMRA national pub of the year isn't anywhere near as good as the KIT. i cannot understand how the harp managed to win, its an average london boozer.

Andy - is there a full list of the top 20 anywhere please?

this years CAMRA national pub of the year isn't anywhere near as good as the KIT. i cannot understand how the harp managed to win, its an average london boozer.

I went down Covent Garden last month failed to find the Harp, but loads of good real aless pubs in the area, Lamb and Flag i have used for 30 year...Charles Dickens old local !! dates back to 1610 !!

London was the pits 30 year ago, Courage ,Watneys, Inn Coupe.. now you go down Covent Garden and the West End almost every pub has real ale. And the prices are closing on the north south devide.

But saying that have just entertained 3 southern friends, 1 pint of lager, 1 1/2 pint of bitter and a lemonade £5 dead !!

A good pint of Sam Smiths in the "New Broom" Rotherham. A very reasonable pint @ £1.53 a pint !!

Edited by TAT

As an old git, thinking about beer in the old days, I remember the fear of ordering anything that came out of a pump, if I wasn't on home turf. Even Lancashire beer was crap, the West Country was worse, and the Home Counties offering defies description.

I must admit that these days I rarely find a bad pint, so not everything was better in times gone by.

Have to say, KIT comes nowhere near my top 5 Sheffield pubs.

Last time I went in, had a very odd tasting pint of Farmers Blonde and left after one drink.

Have to say, KIT comes nowhere near my top 5 Sheffield pubs.

Last time I went in, had a very odd tasting pint of Farmers Blonde and left after one drink.

I guess it's all about personal opinion, but KIT would be in my top 3 in Sheffield.

I'd probably go:

1. Dev Cat - Permanent Jaipur, nice surroundings and a good mix of people.

2. KIT - Great beer selection (only once have I not found something I fancy) and the 2nd best beer garden only being beaten by the Carbrook.

3. Sheffield Tap - Thornbridge Heaven, although a bit pricey.

I use this website to check out pubs when I'm going for a beer outside Sheffield.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/

Four Sheffield pubs in the top ten is not a bad effort......To think Norwich and Derby think they're the real ale capital of the country....PAH!!!

Regards

Doom

I went down Covent Garden last month failed to find the Harp, but loads of good real aless pubs in the area, Lamb and Flag i have used for 30 year...Charles Dickens old local !! dates back to 1610 !!

London was the pits 30 year ago, Courage ,Watneys, Inn Coupe.. now you go down Covent Garden and the West End almost every pub has real ale. And the prices are closing on the north south devide.

But saying that have just entertained 3 southern friends, 1 pint of lager, 1 1/2 pint of bitter and a lemonade £5 dead !!

A good pint of Sam Smiths in the "New Broom" Rotherham. A very reasonable pint @ £1.53 a pint !!

I don't know how the Harp managed to win either, I went last year and just though it was "OK".

Was down London again a couple of weeks ago and discovered the Lamb and Flag - probably my favourite pub in Covent Garden along with the Dog and Duck nearby in Soho.

Highlights on that visit also were the Black Friar, Blackfriars (nice quirky old interior); the Hole in the Wall, Waterloo (live folk music with good beer selection); and the Pride of Spitalfields, Spitalfields (like entering a time warp and convenient to go for a curry after).

Best pub can be quite subjective as different people look for different things in a pub and even then that can change according to mood and day of week.

Some people go to the pub and like to enjoy quiet conversation and a relaxed atmosphere, others like somewhere with music and a lively atmosphere, some go to watch sport on TV and so on. Then there is the whole gastropub v drinkers pub debate.

From my point of view I'm pleased Sheffield has the full range of venues offering choice and variety to keep all happy, the main thing is the one thing they should have in common is decent beer.

Finally, an interesting observation - the staff at the Kelham have regularly been spotted drinking in both the Old House and Rutland Arms after they finish their shift..... (although not at the same time, obviously).

None of these real ale joints ever seem to have a decent pint of Tetleys for sale. Why is this? The only decent thing to come out of L@@@s.

None of these real ale joints ever seem to have a decent pint of Tetleys for sale. Why is this? The only decent thing to come out of L@@@s.

Not any more.

Most don't sell national brands .I like tetleys..u tend to.see it in your average place