Pub of the year ?

Again the CAMRA pub of the year is Kelham Island Tavern. I would like to know how the result can be classed as a fair result ? The fact that members of the committee work in this pub. Surely this is a conflict of interest.

you name another pub in Sheffield which has carried as many draft real ales in the past 12 months and you might have a fair case on your hands...

not bottles , anyone can buy one bottle of every beer from around the world and claim the biggest list of bottled ales...

The people at the KIT are a pretty committed bunch.

And the fact they have won the national award several times would dispel any local conflict of interest?

you dont own a rival pub/ brewery do you?

I think the fact that they're the only pub ever to win the national CAMRA award 2 years on the bounce suggests that this is considered an exceptional pub, not only by local people, but also nationally.

Although the Dev Cat is my own personal favourite pub in Sheffield, I do think the KIT is an exceptional pub for real ale drinkers and fully understand why it keeps winning awards.

I can't think of anything finer on a nice Summers Evening than drinking an excellent pint of well kept beer in the superb beer garden of the KIT.

Regards

Doom

Again the CAMRA pub of the year is Kelham Island Tavern. I would like to know how the result can be classed as a fair result ? The fact that members of the committee work in this pub. Surely this is a conflict of interest.

Are you suggesting that the Camra officers are corrupt ?

You obviously don't understand How the system works

The pub is one of the top ale houses in the city for sure, i like the place, but like the Sheffield tap...over rated !

We all have personal favs, but the Kelham Island enjoyable as it is would not top the list of any of my associates. If the Sheaf View was better located, i.e down the Kelham Island route, i am sure it would top many more lists, As for the Dev Cat... in my opinion..good beers but soul less.

Looking forward to a real ale bash on the 18th, starting at the Blake hotel and falling down to the Kelham Island run.

Camra is too clicky for me, had dealings and awards when running a pub in Notts!

Edited by TAT

I love the sheaf view pub!

Ladybird where Did u run your pub?

nothing to do with sheffield, but i find the fact that TT landlord continues to wow the judging panels at major beer festvials very amusing.

I love the sheaf view pub!

Ladybird where Did u run your pub?

Notts-phil ,You have mail.

The way it works is every one of Sheffield CAMRA's members (over 1000) gets the opportunity to vote for their top ten pubs in the Sheffield & District area. From the results of the vote a top 4 shortlist for Sheffield and a top 4 shortlist for District (Derbyshire) is gained which is then handed to a team of judges who go out individualy and judge each pub against set national criteria. The judging team was a nice mix of male/female, young/old and committee/non-committee.

After this process the top Sheffield pub came out as the Kelham Island Tavern and the top District pub came out as the Anglers Rest in Millers Dale.

The committee member that works in the Kelham is the press officer and is not involved in managing the voting process, he simply has 1 vote like every other member.

The Kelham ticks a lot of boxes - range of real ales taking in several different styles, good cellarmanship, reasonable prices that are clearly displayed, real cider, oversized glasses to ensure full measure, sympathy to CAMRA's aims (and displays CAMRA newsletters, posters etc) and a generally comfortable and clean environment.

People need to remember that these are a select group of people (CAMRA members) voting mainly on the basis of the beer. Andy has given the criteria they vote on above and that's fair enough.

But when it then appears in the Sheff Telegraph it gives the general public the misleading impression the KIT is generally considered the best pub in the country by some scientific poll of pub-goers. The average person then goes there and thinks 'Hmmm it's OK, but...'.

I don't think many people would agree it's the best pub in the country (or even in Sheffield) when judging on general pub criteria. The best pub in Sheff/the country might have just one never-changing cask beer (conceivably it might even have none, though personally I couldn't vote for that). For many people, an enormous, ever-changing range of cask ales is not the most important criteria when judging 'the best pub'.