Alfred Scott Upholstery

Hi My name is Geoff Beal, I used to work for a company called (A SCOTT DURIDE LTD) it was based at Green Lane Works, at Shalesmoor doe's anybody remember it or did you work their, I was at the company from 1974 to 1976 as an upholsterer. the company went in to liquidation.

Did you work at Interface at Thorncliffe round about 1988/89?

No sorry I did not work at interface but thanks for contacting me

Rum Do

Hi, yes I did work at 'Scott Duride' I was there through 73/74 but can't remember when I left. I left when I got layed off. I was in the cutting room doing the vinyal. Trever was there he was the main guy, and a guy called John, Little Ron was up stairs from us doing the soft cover. He was always called ' Little ' Ron. As far as I remember the building was a grade 11 listed, beautiful building & that clock tower & cobbled yard. Hope it is still there.

I think it is great that somebody remembers it, we had some great laughs there, what with us cutters & Doreen in charge of the sewing ladies. :wave: :wave:

grave lurker

Hi good to hear from you, I left in 1976 when the company went in to liquidation. Albert was my upholstery trainer, I worked with Jonh Bottamly and Morgan Hartly as Apprentice’s. ther was Sue Irene and Daphnie, in the cushion room. Roy that cut the foam,

Roy Johnson general odd job man. ena then the frame making dept. I wish I could remeber more names.

The clock and building is still ther but it is boardered up dont know what they intend to do with it.

hi my name is geoff beal, i used to work for a company called (a scott duride ltd) it was based at green lane works, at shalesmoor doe's anybody remember it or did you work their, i was at the company from 1974 to 1976 as an upholsterer. The company went in to liquidation.

hi geoff i think i remiember you from back then, i used to work behind the counter in the frame shop preparing all the parts for the suites for the frame makers to put together. The frame shop was run by arnold and there was steve churchman, geoff ellis, andy and mad jack! And a thin weedy looking bloke who used to carry the frames upstairs to be upholstered, i used to collect the parts from the mill which was run by albert and others were reg, little jimmy, alfie chatto, and a deaf and dumb block called charlie, the manager was mr harvey who left about 75 and was replaced by a tall lanky bloke who was useless and designed the california made almost completely of chipboard which just kept breaking in the corners. Some of the other suites were the bristol, monmouth, kenilworth. We uesd to play footy in the yard and frame shop and also darts. Do you remember every few months all the black bags that had mounted up outside had to be moved and all the rats ran all over and you lot from upstairs used to

kill with bettens and broom handles. I remember the big blue gates and the archway and colck tower that was a registered building. The big vans with the race horses painted on the side to look like ascot races. I loved working there but left when put on short time and i believe you ended up working for the gas board with my best mate pete greenhough. Well ive enjoyed this trip down memory lane and i hope i jogged your memory about the place, it was my first job and as great memories, cheers geoff,

Did you work at Interface at Thorncliffe round about 1988/89?

I worked there in 1987

Hi Geoff did you see my reply to your ascott duride post, Keith

hi geoff i think i remiember you from back then, i used to work behind the counter in the frame shop preparing all the parts for the suites for the frame makers to put together. The frame shop was run by arnold and there was steve churchman, geoff ellis, andy and mad jack! And a thin weedy looking bloke who used to carry the frames upstairs to be upholstered, i used to collect the parts from the mill which was run by albert and others were reg, little jimmy, alfie chatto, and a deaf and dumb block called charlie, the manager was mr harvey who left about 75 and was replaced by a tall lanky bloke who was useless and designed the california made almost completely of chipboard which just kept breaking in the corners. Some of the other suites were the bristol, monmouth, kenilworth. We uesd to play footy in the yard and frame shop and also darts. Do you remember every few months all the black bags that had mounted up outside had to be moved and all the rats ran all over and you lot from upstairs used to

kill with bettens and broom handles. I remember the big blue gates and the archway and colck tower that was a registered building. The big vans with the race horses painted on the side to look like ascot races. I loved working there but left when put on short time and i believe you ended up working for the gas board with my best mate pete greenhough. Well ive enjoyed this trip down memory lane and i hope i jogged your memory about the place, it was my first job and as great memories, cheers geoff,

Hi Keith

I do remember you,you liked Elvis if I remember correctly me and Pete gave you a lift home on a couple of occasions.

Its good to hear from you I also remember the people you have mentioned the bloke that took over was Mr Thornborough you are correct he was useless.

Do you still see Pete Greenough lost touch with him after he left the gas board.I still work there after 37 years its National Grid now.

The reason I started to try to contact people was, I read an artical about Green Lane Works and it stated it was owned by Tyzacks for arround a hundred years, but I believe George Scott either owned or rented it from 1939.

I have been told they are going to build on the land but keep the entrance.

If you see Pete please remember me to him.

Hello Geoff, I wonder are you any relation to Derek Beal an upholstery foreman at Atkin and  Ansell?  I worked at Scotts from 1968 'til being made redundant in 1972. I remember lots of the upholsterers names.

Hello Keith, I worked as an upholsterer at Scotts from'68 to '72.  I know Geoff Ellis he worked at C and R Wall on Petre street until they went bust.  I remember Mr Harvey, came from down south Portsmouth or similar.  I always understood Tyzacks took over the building after Scotts finished -I could be wrong.  Your'e probably aware of the refurbishment of the building with the gate house and clock tower being restored ?

On 16 June 2013 at 3:05 PM, rum do said:

Hi Keith

I do remember you,you liked Elvis if I remember correctly me and Pete gave you a lift home on a couple of occasions.

Its good to hear from you I also remember the people you have mentioned the bloke that took over was Mr Thornborough you are correct he was useless.

Do you still see Pete Greenough lost touch with him after he left the gas board.I still work there after 37 years its National Grid now.

The reason I started to try to contact people was, I read an artical about Green Lane Works and it stated it was owned by Tyzacks for arround a hundred years, but I believe George Scott either owned or rented it from 1939.

I have been told they are going to build on the land but keep the entrance.

If you see Pete please remember me to him.

You have the wrong Green Lane Works, the one that Scott Duride worked in was at the Penistone Road end whereas Tyzacs was  towards Kelham Island / Corporation Street end.

We used to get bags of sawdust from there in 1957 vans full of it to soak oil up from the garage floor and pits,Kelham Island including Green Lane works is now being converted into apartments and housing also restaurants and bars.its become the place to live for young people.