Feminist protesters vs new Playboy club

Strip bars don't have a place in modern society IMHO, if I was in government I would shut them all down. And I'm a man!

Don't get me wrong I love the female form but these places are there for the wrong reasons, to fleece the men and objectify the women..surely we should be moving on from this kind of thing.

Perhaps they will not exist in a 100 years time? Who knows. Perhaps virtual sex clubs will take over on the internet?

I don't see what the big deal is or why you would shut them down! Nobody is forced to attend, or work there. If you don't like it then you don't have to go. That's your choice, others should be able to have the same choice too surely?

The men aren't being fleeced, they are paying for a service they are happy to receive. No one is forcing the girls to work there, they choose too and probably get paid quite well too.

Good post.

Unfortunately there are others who feel they have a right to decide what other people can or can't do with their own lives :rant:

I don't see what the big deal is or why you would shut them down! Nobody is forced to attend, or work there. If you don't like it then you don't have to go. That's your choice, others should be able to have the same choice too surely?

The men aren't being fleeced, they are paying for a service they are happy to receive. No one is forcing the girls to work there, they choose too and probably get paid quite well too.

Well said!!

The think is, you shut down the playboy club, what's next? What can these power hungry feminists protest against now?

Good post.

Unfortunately there are others who feel they have a right to decide what other people can or can't do with their own lives :rant:

Usually because they're not happy with their own life i'd guess.

For example, when I think 'feminists' I think ugly women complaining about things attractive women choose to do/wear.....could it be a case of the green eyed monster???

Well said!!

The think is, you shut down the playboy club, what's next? What can these power hungry feminists protest against now?

Getting bored now...just going round in circles...have you read any of the other posts?

Good post.

I don't think that many women make an active career choice to perform in these venues. For most, it's a stop gap and a means of earning more money than they would in other casual jobs or supplementing their income. Furthermore, for obvious reasons, these types of jobs have a very limited shelf life. So the 'choice' argument is a bit of specious one in my view.

We're commenting on a situation that we don't know all the detail of - the harrassment might have been going on for ages. It's not very productive to comment on the situation and make generalisations from it if we don't know the full story.

My comment was in general. We have a process whereby those that are not capable of controlling themselves are subject to specific law. It's obvious that certain individuals need reminding as they still exist on a Carry On set.

To earn the dancer money in a manner of their own choosing.

I think any club that is involved in selling sex would be on dubious legal ground, so the dancers within are not selling sex (otherwise the club would have been refused a licence to operate), therefore, they are not part of the "sex industry".

They are very much operating in the "sex industry".

How do you think these girls earn their money? They're certainly not paid for just being there, or even dancing, they earn their money from what the blokes are willing to pay them behind the curtain for a private lesson in gynecology.

Because this is very much a service, agreed on between two consenting parties, in private, I find very little to complain about to be honest.

I found the way that Josephines, and the Playboy clubs of old, used to objectify women much more unpleasant, because the women were paid for wearing very little, rather than what they did.

The way that women are objectified in public, by the media, the fashion industry, and the celebrity industry, is even more unpleasant.

And then there's religion ... :rant:

BTW I must confess that I have been dragged in a couple of these places with business colleagues. Just an excuse to carry on drinking basically, and pay £6 or whatever for a bottle of Becks. Somewhere where you can actually carry on talking, unlike a nightclub. The last time I was surprised how many women were actually in there as customers, probably doing the same as us. I recall that we commented on an elderly married couple that disappeared upstairs for a private session. "There's nowt so funny as folk", as they say, and it's all too easy to generalise about people in a Daily Mail manner.

The way that women are objectified in public, by the media, the fashion industry, and the celebrity industry, is even more unpleasant.

And have you noticed how adverts for cleaning products are almost exclusively female?

I think that's sexist both ways. I'm male and I do my fair share of cleaning.

Usually because they're not happy with their own life i'd guess.

For example, when I think 'feminists' I think ugly women complaining about things attractive women choose to do/wear.....could it be a case of the green eyed monster???

Rather proves the whole argument here really doesn't it - that women regardless of the issue, are being judged by the way that they look. That 'argument' is even more old hat than Hughie boy.

"Putting Playboy on the high street like this simply normalises and legitimises the objectification of women.

They'd be better off protesting at the places that are already (and have been for decades) "on the high street" rather than some new enterprise that is pretty soft.

And have you noticed how adverts for cleaning products are almost exclusively female?

I think that's sexist both ways. I'm male and I do my fair share of cleaning.

Yeah - that REALLY pees me off. And the ones for supermarkets - Mum's go to Iceland - blah! What about dads?