If You Could Go Back In Time In Sheffield......

I like to go back to the 16th Century and see Sheffield Park, The Manor Lodge and Sheffield Castle. I'd travel up the Walnut tree path from the Sheaf bridge and see massive trees with 16 foot wide trunks and view some of the 2,000 Deer in the Park.

Id like to go back to the seventies, when I was a child. I'd then seek out my stepfather and knock the hell out of him for his cruel treatment towards his wife and kids. I'd then tell the young me that taking risks is ok and that i should stand up for myself and never submit to bullying and never let anyone tell me I was useless.

On a lighter note. Visiting Sheffield at its very beginning would be interesting

I would go back to the late 60's early 70's visit the Mucky Duck and see all the great bands that used to play there before they were famous. I would also like to visit the Buccaneer as I have heard so much about it from my older friends:)

I'd like to spend a Saturday evening with my wife in the Fleur de Lys, Totley, in 1963, watching Vance Arnold and the Avengers on stage. Joe Cocker had a marvellous voice in those days. Slugging back pints of Stones as it was then - 1/10d a pint.

I've one time period which I would like to live.

I would like to be in the Sheffield area around the 1800's to see who my ancestors were as they are proving to be very elusive in my family history research!

I would also like to experience the feelings I had in the early 1960's, the school age boyfriends, the pals at school, the first real date, first visit to a pub, the buzz that I had getting ready for "a date", Christmas with all the family together with my dear grandfather being so happy with his brood around him.

I wouldn't want ro relive these times because they were still quite tough, Sheffield was still building itself back up after WW2 but, there was so much hope and expectation, I would just like to feel like that again.

Duffems

I would go back to a time when I could find out the truth about all the tunnels legend says are riddling through Sheffield. True or False, who knows?

I'd love to go back to the time when Lees Hall was in its pomp, and maybe save it from the cavemen of the city council, and their maoist cultural revolution, which destroyed so much even within some of our lifetimes, in their 'out with all that's old' attitude. Pah! Don't get me started!.

The late 60's when Sheffield was alive and busy.

The shops were great and the Moor was open.

Surely the time to go back to would be after WW2 and rebuild on a blank canvas. Build a compact city centre, not one that stretches all that way. You might even move the centre down nearer to the bus station (or move the bus station to nearer the shopping centre.)

Build a ring road with plenty of space for trees to mask the sound of traffic.

Any more ideas?

I'm with you on this. When I go back to visit Sheffield it breaks my heart to see how so much of the character of the city centre has been torn down to make way for gigantic roundabouts and multi lane highways. Because my family originated from that part of town, and I spent part of my childhood there, I'm especially saddened to see the demise of Duke Street with its rows of distinctive shops, Sheaf Street and the bustling old rag and tag market, the Corn Exchange, Dixon Lane. Need I go on? I know that time has to move on, but some things are worth preserving. Don't get me wrong. Sheffield is not alone. Many cities around the world, including some I've lived in, have made the same mistake of using their city centres as traffic throughways instead of cultural and commercial hubs. I'll always be a Sheffielder at heart, but I miss what has now gone. So yes, starting to plan from just after WW2 with an eye on preservation and enhancement would be my choice too.

The 30's,when my great grandma had her model lodging house on Broad Lane (below St Georges church) and when the slums which were cleared in 1960 were standing (where the high rise blocks are) then I could visit her and great grandad...:)

i'd go back 8 years and -somehow- buy the house i never managed to catch at the time

i'd also love to go back to about '85/86 and catch one of the Hula gigs that for some reason i managed to miss every time

i'd also go back to around 1991 and buy a ticket to the Kraftwerk show at the City Hall instead of wrongly assuming i was on the guest list... ...regrets, oh yes i have a few :-)

in terms of sheffield castle - that was actually 'reduced' by siege i think - allbeit a couple of shots from a cannon sited roughly where the bottom end of Hyde Park is (guessing here). then the castle was slighted, that is to say rendered un-defendable should the civil war kick off again........

id go back to the day before i married my first wife then go anywhere but the registrey office.