Where do small/medium sized businesses advertise jobs?

As title, where do small and medium businesses advertise their jobs?

Edited by a_starfish

I think a number of them advertise on their own websites.

But depending on what you are looking for, they may be advertised through agencies, so they don't have to comit to any new starter until they have proved themselves.

Do you have any interest as to what you would like to do?

Labour? Office? Shop? Care? Cars?

That also makes a difference.

Thanks for your reply Scozzie!

Edited by a_starfish

google all the employment agencies in town, then head in with a list of them to try and get registered with as many as you can. there isn't a lot of work at the moment, but if you can get some temp work filing and scanning, you can get some experience and work your way up from there.

You could also look up 'critical skills' as they offer courses to get people qualified in a large range of industries. They also have computer courses, maths, english, that may come in helpful.

Thanks for your reply Scozzie!

What you say about using agencies for a trial of new starters makes a lot of sense, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I'm looking for a job in an office role although I'm also considering shop roles (more shelf filling than till/sales assistant). I have noted that quite a few shops advertise their jobs in their windows.

yeah you don't wanna aim to high :| just go ask in asda etc

with Gumtree you get 5 free adverts per year.

You can also usually get free Trial listings on many job boards such as totaljobs

I used to work for sheffielddealoftheday.co.uk, they normally charge £320 +vat for a 28 day listing with company logo. if you book towards the end of the month you can normally get a better rate! ;op

In my industry its virtually all agencies. You can get rid of someone easily if they are no good after a few months but its easier for you if you go through an agency.

As title, where do small and medium businesses advertise their jobs?

The Sheffield weekly jobs paper is so thin I haven't bought it for ages, which is sad as it was a good place to look a few years ago. I can find jobs at larger companies advertised online and already check the jobcentre website.

I'm looking for an entry level role as I don't have extensive experience in any particular area which makes it hard to focus the job search towards specific roles or within a specific industry.

have you looked at mysheffieldjobs?

My company advertises "Volunteer Vacancies" on it's Facebook Page. It uses Facebook because it's free and it has lots of members from local areas (Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield), some of whom are seeking work experience.

You may find entry level jobs in Jobstreet.co.uk and job ads in Craigslist.

Also check out some company's websites.

Have you tried the Job Centre? You have to be very careful about how you word your advert and how you target it, and you have to kiss a lot of frogs, but in my experience you can get some very good calibre people this way, and it's free.