Centenary Macmillan - Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge - 9 July 2011

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and to Sheffield!

I'm the local fundraising manager for Macmillan Cancer Support and we've organised a challenge event you might be interested in taking part in.

Yorkshire Three Peak Challenge on Saturday 9 July.

The challenge involves walkers climbing a total 2,153 metres and covering 23.5 miles up Pen-Y-Ghent followed by Whernside and finishing with the unforgiving Ingleborough.

Although this walk is challenging, the sense of achievement whilst crossing the finishing line is wonderfully uplifting. Not only will you gain a fantastic personal challenge, you will also be helping change the lives of those living with cancer

There is a registration fee of £15 and we'd like people entering to try and raise £191 through sponsorship as this will fund a Macmillan Nurse for a day.

It's our centenary year. 100 Years of providing Support for people affected by Cancer so please get involved.

You can register online at the Macmillan website or call 01925 846 764

On another I'm a keen walker myself (although I can't take part in this event as I'll be helping out behind the scenes) - but I'm hoping to do Ben Nevis later in the year so any tips welcomed!

Rob Turner

Fundraising Manager - Sheffield & Chesterfield

Macmillan Cancer Support

Follow me on Facebook - Search 'Rob Turner Macmillan'

HI Rob.

I am really keen to do this walk, however transport to the walk is a bit of a problem. Will there be a minibus or other methods of transport available locally?

I have done quite a few of these walks for Macmillans over the years including the National 3 Peaks and the Lyke Wake Walk and some form of transport was always available.

Scott

Ben Nevis is easy enough, just don't forget the insect repellent, the midges up there are not very forgiving...

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tip on Ben Nevis! Will let you know how easy it was once I've done it...sure my legs won't feel it was easy but I'm looking forward to it. :-)

As I'm new I had to ask about the transport question, and sadly we aren't able to provide transport for people to and from the walk.

I hope you can find a way around this as we really appreciate your support and would love to have you as part of this walk.

Rob

Hi Scott,

Did you manage to enter the three Peaks Challenge? Would be a shame if you didn't. I'll be there on the day at 5am signing people in :-)

If you couldn't get around the transport problem, would you be interested in organising your own sponsored local walk with a few friends for Macmillan?

Rob