Iridium flare tonight.

It's rather short notice, but in about nine minutes (23:50:26) there will be another flare, magnitude minus six - which is brighter than anything you can usually see in the sky except the Moon.

Heading west-north-west, about 25 degrees above the horizon.

For anyone interested there's a -5.8 Iridium flare tonight at 23.32.14.

257 degrees WSW.

No ISS unfortunately.

Am sitting in the living room waving my arms around trying to figure out which direction that is! Think I've got it but I know I have a compass somewhere around anyway. May miss flare due to sleep though...

Am sitting in the living room waving my arms around trying to figure out which direction that is! Think I've got it but I know I have a compass somewhere around anyway. May miss flare due to sleep though...

There are decent free apps for iphone and android that use the phones compass/gyro to show you where to look (compass angle and elevation angle based on your location)

There are decent free apps for iphone and android that use the phones compass/gyro to show you where to look.

I didn't think of that, because I'm blonde.

Looks like the cloud isn't gonna play ball. :(

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 16:51 ----------

As bumping threads is now impossible, and all posts are to be kept to this thread it's utterly pointless me posting any futures times as they wont be seen.

Was nice whilst it lasted i suppose. :mad:

Edited by megalithic

Looks like the cloud isn't gonna play ball. :(

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 16:51 ----------

As bumping threads is now impossible, and all posts are to be kept to this thread it's utterly pointless me posting any futures times as they wont be seen.

Was nice whilst it lasted i suppose. :mad:

Cause it will. By posting times on this thread it automatically bumps it to the top.:roll:

Cause it will. By posting times on this thread it automatically bumps it to the top.:roll:

Not if i was the last person to post in the thread, which i often am. :roll:

By keeping the times to this thread alone it's completely killed something a few of us really enjoyed, which wouldn't have taken up any more bandwidth anyway. It's plain spoiling, nothing else. :(

Is there one tonight megalithic. I haven't managed to see any of the ones which you've posted yet.

Yes mate, a -2 at 23.09.55 and a -5 at 23.19.07 then almost immediately again at 23.20.07 which is even brighter at -5.2.

These are all low altitude and to the WNW.

Should be an excellent 10 minutes. :)

I preferred the daily threads. What site do you use for your data?