Coach holiday memories.

In the 80's we went with Spear & Jacksons to Italy with Carnalls Tours very early morning start from Sheffield to Southampton for ferry to Le Havre then 18 hour + journey to Pietra Ligure. Arrived with swollen ankles and aching backs (no overnight stays) 10 day holiday including 3 days travelling about £120 b.b. and evening meal .

we have 2 SUT busses at our museum ,sytm

I went to Belgium in 1964 with Norman from SUT he was very entertaining we stayed in Blankenburge and visited Ghent, Brussels, Middleburg in Holland and somewhere over the border in France to see the " dancing waters"- very handsome waiter in the hotel called Norbert. A hairdresser Michael Rosser from London was staying at the hotel with his family and he cut my hair really short much one afternoon to my grandmothers horror. He turned up a few years later on TV when Princess Anne got married - he was her hair dresser.There was a girl a bit older than me called Anne Maxwell on the tour. I have a group photo somewhere.

Hi SUTman, got a photo of my Grandads coach from about 1952.

Never new him but I think he used to take trips to Switzerland.

I would love to see the photo. Any chance of uploading a pic for us ?

I would love to see the photo. Any chance of uploading a pic for us ?

Just joined forum so need another couple of posts before I can send you a picture. Will send it then, Cheers.

National travel east used to take the family to Skipsea! It was more of an adventure than the week long stay at spurn point caravan site!!

Yorkshire traction (sadly missed) also took us regularly to Calais - although it was always at least a whole day getting there.

Ellenders are really good. I used to have some great summer day trips with them.

can't match the Paris trip

But in the late 1950's used to go to Torquay overnight with the littlewoods bros

Set off 8 pm Friday night from pond st carpark stopping at Burton on trent, Stratford on Avon, Bath then Honiton arriving in Torquay 8 am Saturday

Coaches were a maroon/plum colour and silver remember they had trumpets on roof that played a "Hunting we will Go" which they played in turn as they pulled out.

Made everyone turn round as up to eight coaches left.

Course the PC brigade wouldnt allow that now, disturbing the peace

Loved the Littlewoods coaches as a kid in the early sixties. They all had names like "Empress of Torquay" and were always very well presented. Went on several holidays and countless daytrips on them unitl '67 when we got our first car. Can remember being disappointed when the expected Littlewoods coach didn't turn up on one occasion but an identical type painted Cream with (I think!) very dark green side panels with the name "Exelsior" written on them.

In the 80's we went with Spear & Jacksons to Italy with Carnalls Tours very early morning start from Sheffield to Southampton for ferry to Le Havre then 18 hour + journey to Pietra Ligure. Arrived with swollen ankles and aching backs (no overnight stays) 10 day holiday including 3 days travelling about £120 b.b. and evening meal .

Trevor Carnall was a family friend of ours, I think he was the first to run a coach buisness from Sheffield

Trevor Carnall was a family friend of ours, I think he was the first to run a coach buisness from Sheffield

my grandad ran the first bus to Boston ,it was a lorry in the week and the weekend it swaped body to the bus body,

my grandad ran the first bus to Boston ,it was a lorry in the week and the weekend it swaped body to the bus body,
That's interesting, poppins. Things had moved on a bit by the time I went fishing with my uncle to Boston with Law Bros. of Leppings Lane..:) They had a weekly "Ely Express" that served many of the fishermen's favourite locations such as Sleaford, Swineshead, Holbeach, Wisbech etc.

My dad (Ron Levers) used to drive for SUT in the early 1950's. It's great to hear these memories.