Coach holiday memories.

Thanks to eBay I now have a copy of the SUT 1963 tours brochure; here is a scan of the page relevant to the 4-day trip to Paris described in my post #2..:)

Thanks for the scan hillsbro, I did that trip a few times in the early 60's, I am sure the first time was in a DC3 and then the 748. It was my first flight and I felt very grown up but the take off took a couple of attempts on the grass runway, I knew how those paratroopers felt when they set out on D Day.

I too stayed at the Hotel Bel-Air just by the Place de la République, I got the impression it was still in business when I stayed there.

Edited by Blackbeard

That was Harry Ramsden's at Guiseley. The brand was floated on the stock exchange some years ago and it became a franchise.

I don't think I need tell you what happened to the quality of the fish and chips.

To answer your question, have a look at THIS video.

Thanks Jim Hardie - That's the place 'Harry Ramsden's', all the added information is very interesting also, how often do you read similar facts on large franchises like that, possibly too big too soon and a few bad decisions along the way. Anyway thanks once again. fleetwood

Brings back happy memories of our first coach trip abroad. With SUT to Switzerland in 1976. Pick up in Pond Street. We were living the dream!! Have photo taken outside "Chez Johnny" in Bully. Knew Ray Courtnall who had a drapery shop in Eckington and understood "Johnny" to be his brother.

That was Harry Ramsden's at Guiseley. The brand was floated on the stock exchange some years ago and it became a franchise.

I don't think I need tell you what happened to the quality of the fish and chips.

To answer your question, have a look at THIS video.

my daughter lives on the coast and has told me the Harry Ramsdens where she lives is the worst in the town

Thanks for the scan hillsbro, I did that trip a few times in the early 60's, I am sure the first time was in a DC3 and then the 748...
Yes - Skyways had three DC3s as well as five 748s. At various times they flew to Lyon, Tours and other places. An accident at Lympne in 1965 due to the nose-wheel of a 748 digging into the grass runway during a heavy landing didn't help the airline (the 'plane was a write-off but there were no serious injuries) and Skyways folded in 1971.

Can anyone tell me which coach operators ran holidays in Ostend 1966/67. And did the coach go with the passengers to Ostend via the ferry or return to Sheffild.

My first coach trip was to Cleethorpes with the Manor Club in the late 40s. Fish and chip dinner with a sweet in the Victoria restaurant, and tokens to spend in Wonderland. Great.

7 hours ago, Kidorry said:

My first coach trip was to Cleethorpes with the Manor Club in the late 40s. Fish and chip dinner with a sweet in the Victoria restaurant, and tokens to spend in Wonderland. Great.

Yes I remember my coach trips to Cleethorpes with the local Working Mens Club,

how we use to look forward to them because it was the only holiday we had.

I went recently and feeling nostalgic  I had a look for the Victoria  Cafe but it looks as though it has been demolished.

As for vicDs post,  I never knew anyone who went out of the UK for holidays in the 60s, it must have been the more well off.

I remember as youngsters, before the war, how much we looked forward to the Sheffield Lane Top working man's club children's annual outing. We went by coach usually to Bridlington, Cleethorpes & occasionally Blackpool. We were given pop & sandwiches to eat & a very generous half crown to spend.