Coach holiday memories.

That's interesting, poppins. Things had moved on a bit by the time I went fishing with my uncle to Boston with Law Bros. of Leppings Lane..:) They had a weekly "Ely Express" that served many of the fishermen's favourite locations such as Sleaford, Swineshead, Holbeach, Wisbech etc.

That was samsons Grandad hillsbro, my Grandad did sh*t all his life but sit and watch my Gradma cook for him...lazy bugger he was.

Oooops.... In fact I even used to confuse my own two .grandads, even though they could hardly have been more different..:confused:

Oooops.... In fact I even used to confuse my own two .grandads, even though they could hardly have been more different..:confused:

hillbro, were's that nice photo of your house again, can't find it, it's just the style i woul love, all one floor, no stairs.

hillbro, were's that nice photo of your house again...
Here is our little house - we love it here in Ashby (near Scunthorpe). In post #18 "innit" mentioned Excelsior coaches. Here is a photo showing one of their fleet; it took my gran (second from right) and some of her pals in the Lonnie Donegan Fan Club to see Lonnie and his group (Denny Wright, Micky Ashman and Nick Nicholls) perform at the Bradford Alhambra, c. 1958.

Thanks to eBay I now have a copy of the SUT 1963 tours brochure; here is a scan of the page relevant to the 4-day trip to Paris described in my post #2..:)

When I was eleven I went with the school to Paris. Geoff Littlewood took us in his 57 seat AEC.All week I followed him around thinking what a great job he had.45 years later and with 35 years experience coaching at home and abroad I can honestly say I was right.All down to one man.... THANKS GEOFF.

My late dad was a driver for SUT in the 50s. I know it was years ago, but I'm sure Ron Levers name rings a bell. My dad's name was Walt Fothergill we lived in Deerlands Ave, Parson Cross then.

My late dad was a driver for SUT in the 50s. I know it was years ago, but I'm sure Ron Levers name rings a bell. My dad's name was Walt Fothergill we lived in Deerlands Ave, Parson Cross then.

hi deerlands

worked with your dad at sut names I recall jack hancock ,frank ifield .

alf riley. joe booker.chap called good fellow was in charge lots more drivers whos names I forget but a great company that thought about customers comfort first

Great stories 'hillsbro' and 'Banker', its great to look back on more leisurely times. Did either of you go to CHEZ JOHNNY Restaurant in Bully Les Mines run by Johnny Nightingale. By the way Mons Claude Fabre was a Free French fighter pilot during the second world war. Many thanks once again for sharing your memories.

I remember stopping for some snap at Chez Johnny on the way to Paris in the early eighties. I think it was a Law Brothers trip.

I believe Johnny was from Eckington. I remember his sons cracking jokes in a strange French/Sheffield accent as they served us.

HERE it is.

Edited by nikki-red

Who remembers a very large upscale fish and chip restaurant near the motorways, if you were travelling by coach (or by car I suppose) near there, chances are, you would stop for a meal. They had a large garden which you could walk around which had the small wooden kiosk that they originally started their business out of years earlier. My question is, is it still around, if so, did it change it's name over the years and did they keep the same look of the place?

Edited by fleetwood

Who remembers a very large upscale fish and chip restaurant near the motorways, if you were travelling by coach (or by car I suppose) near there, chances are, you would stop for a meal. They had a large garden which you could walk around which had the small wooden kiosk that they originally started their business out of years earlier. My question is, is it still around, if so, did it change it's name over the years and did they keep the same look of the place?

That was Harry Ramsden's at Guiseley. The brand was floated on the stock exchange some years ago and it became a franchise.

I don't think I need tell you what happened to the quality of the fish and chips.

To answer your question, have a look at THIS video.

Edited by Jim Hardie