Let the public go up Keppels column.

Always thought it was built to commemorate the aquital of admiral keppel.

That what thought

used to cycle there every sunday from ecco when i was a lad,old man who looked after it used to give me the keys and told me to charge 1 penny for people to go up it.to be honest we didnt get many customers.

that was 50 years plus ago would love to go up it again

Its a strange place Kepples column, I would love to be able to go inside though, it always used to be full of dead pigeons :gag: of course you can't see inside now at all.

As of 2003, it was estimated that repairing the column to allow public access again would cost two million (:o:huh:) pounds.

That figure can only have gone up, and since it is, apparently, now owned by the council, it cannot be a surprise that they think they have better things to spend their money on. Only if a charity, or a lottery grant, makes funds available is this ever going to happen.

Why would you want to go up there when there's a far more impressive folly a few miles away. Hoober Stand is far better and not only that, it sits on the highest point in the area, commanding amazing views of the surrounding area. Also, Hoober Stand is already open to the public, be it not very often.

Why would you want to go up there when there's a far more impressive folly a few miles away. Hoober Stand is far better and not only that, it sits on the highest point in the area, commanding amazing views of the surrounding area. Also, Hoober Stand is already open to the public, be it not very often.

Yep,gotta agree with you.

I have had the priverage of dangling my legs over the edge at Kepples Column, it would be great if someone could find the money to make the structure same for public use.

You wouldn't catch me going up that thing, it looks terrifying!

Why would you want to go up there...

Because you can't.

At least, I think that's part of the appeal

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Keppels_Column.jpg

As long as it is safe I think the public should be allowed up Keppels Column to view what must be an amazing view all round. I dont know who would run it and manage it, but think it would make a great attraction.

yes it must be a fantastic view across the don valley, over the derbyshire moors the other way towards the north sea and cleathorpes. what a vie the romans must have hadup and over wincobank hill

yes it must be a fantastic view across the don valley, over the derbyshire moors the other way towards the north sea and cleathorpes. what a vie the romans must have hadup and over wincobank hill

As I said in post number 2 on this thread, it's a real pity, but it's just not safe enough to allow the public access, and according to other contributors, it will cost a king's ransom to put right.

i rememeber having arguements with my grandad about it. he used to say scholes coppice i said kepple's column. this went on for years. untl we found all the details out

we used to call it scoles scoppy tower in 1970