Let the public go up Keppels column.

I seem to remember reading somewhere the column being built to honour an Admiral Keppel. I also remember he was later disgraced ???????

Why would you want to go up there when there's a far more impressive folly a few miles away. Hoober Stand is far better and not only that, it sits on the highest point in the area, commanding amazing views of the surrounding area. Also, Hoober Stand is already open to the public, be it not very often.

It has also got floodlights around its top part, but they are never switched on. I have seen it lit once.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Keppels_Column.jpg

As long as it is safe I think the public should be allowed up Keppels Column to view what must be an amazing view all round. I dont know who would run it and manage it, but think it would make a great attraction.lioke an exihibitioncentre even though it would be small local artists could show and sell there wares and anyone else with a craft, would think the would have to build an extention

It has also got floodlights around its top end, but they are never switched on. I have seen it lit once.

Wow that would look brilliant. A floodlit tower on the skyline. Come on Rotherham Council how hard can it be to power them up.

Knock it down before it falls down and hurts someone. It was an eyesore when it was built and remains so today.

I wish I had the money to restore it,I'd have a statue of ME put on top (lol)

Would love to go up at least once before it falls down,

I'll be going to Hoober stand a few times in summer,

JJ..

Talking of impressive views I,m sure I remember when they had an open day on a bank holiday at Norton water tower.Anybody know if it they still do,or if not,then when did they stop having them ?

went up keppels column a few times in the late 70s/early 80s, you would think rmbc would apply for grants to help restore it

I seem to remember reading somewhere the column being built to honour an Admiral Keppel. I also remember he was later disgraced ???????

This is the reason it was built.

Keppel's Column is a 115-foot (35 m)[1] tower between Wentworth and Kimberworth in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England.

The column was built in the late 18th century to commemorate the acquittal of the court-martialled Admiral Augustus Keppel after the Battle of Ushant. It visibly bulges due to an entasis correction, which was rendered inappropriate when funding problems reduced the height. It was commissioned in 1778 by Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham and was designed by John Carr[1] who was also responsible for the Wentworth Woodhouse stables and the family's Irish house at Coollattin.

The column, which has an internal spiral staircase, is located on a prominent hill on the southern extent of the Wentworth Estates. The hill is over 480ft above mean sea level and is one of the highest hills in the Borough of Rotherham, second only to the hill on which Hoober Stand is located. Hoober Stand is another historic folly and landmark on the Wentworth Estates, standing 518ft above mean sea level. Keppel's Column is closed to the public, and has been in danger of falling into disrepair for some time. It is a prominent landmark in the area and is a Grade II* listed monument.[2] The column can be viewed at close quarters from the public footpath running from Admiral's Crest in Scholes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Keppels_Column.jpg

As long as it is safe I think the public should be allowed up Keppels Column to view what must be an amazing view all round. I dont know who would run it and manage it, but think it would make a great attraction.

let em go and get killed or tie a big rubber band to the top and they ca bungie

---------- Post added 26-01-2013 at 17:04 ----------

hi give me a rough esstimateof how much to rewire a basic end terrace 2bd 1 bathroom shower ove bath conservatory add on kitchen, house built in 60s

what for and watch some body get killed or a child fall over the edge, it should have been pulled down years ag before it falls down by its self ,it's of no historical interest its just a folly built by a guy who had more money than sense, who could have done more for rotherham:loopy: