Is 6 weeks too young for a kitten to leave it's mother?

Someone I know is passing out their cats kittens at 6 weeks old because they have a holiday booked. The kittens aren't fully on proper cat food as far as I'm aware but they are telling the new owners that so long as it eats the food, it's fine?

Personally I think this is far too young. Am I right?

Thanks

GG

its no where near ideal but my kitten was only 6 weeks when we got her and she was fine

I had a kitten from six weeks and had her for 16 years. Some are weaned by then but not all, I'd need to make sure I saw it eating OK:D

Yes it's too young, they should be at least 8 weeks n preferably 10 weeks. They miss out on valuable lessons from mum n litter mates leaving at that age :(

Yes it is too young, a lot of puppies and kittens were sold at that age in the past but it doesn't make it right, just because they survived the experience does not mean that it was kind or enjoyable for them in any way.

Kittens will only just be weaned and will probably still feed from Mum sometimes, thats a very good age for them to develop nasty upset tums with the upset of taking them away as well.

Between 6 and 12 weeks is the time that kittens learn social skills such as how not to bite or scratch too hard and how to be a well rounded and confident cat basically.

It's not just about food, it's about growing up a socially comfortable and normal little beastie too. Kittens need to be around their mum or at least their siblings or other adult cats until they're at least 10 weeks to ensure that they don't grow up just a little bit 'odd' socially.

When I'm fostering they're around mum full time until weaned and then leaving her for an hour at a time, then two, then doing that twice a day, then for 6 hours, then only going back to mum to sleep at night, then coming away from her completely, to wean them off mummy's milk (which kittens continue to take until at least 10 weeks even though eating solid food too) and to allow them to get used to life without mummy and with Molly (GSD) and my adult cats looking after them.

I've had kittens from 6 weeks or younger, but they really weren't ready for the outside world. Quite apart from anything else, they have very little bodyweight spare at that age and they're really fragile. At that age a single day of really bad diarrhoea could kill them and virtually all kittens have a day or two of diarrhoea upon being put in a basket, driven places in a car and taken to a house they don't know, without the comfort blanket of their mum and siblings.

My foster babies are not homed until at least 10 weeks, usually 12. At that age they're more sturdy, less fragile and much more self assured and able to explore without being terrified.

My friend let her cat have kittens, and when they were born she asked if I wanted one, I said i'd take one, long story short, I picked it up, my cat went crazy at it, my sister wanted it, fell in love with it.... its still there now, 2 years later, it was 5weeks and 4 days when it left mum (i didnt know this) and its stupid, clumsy, it walks into walls, its got no balance, she eats little bits and tries to hide her food..... now this may be something totally different but I think it was age she left her mum :(

Yes it's too young and very irresponsible, poor kittens :rant:

My partners auntie has just bought a 6 weeks old mix dog today and it cries so much, and cuddles up to their old 17yr border collie as much as it can. I think 6 weeks is too young for dogs and cats. I think they should leave their mum earliest at 8 weeks but I would keep them abit longer if I ever bred. At least this 6 weeks old dog can learn some things from the border collie.

My little Max was much less than 6 weeks - and the guy had just basically took him from his mum and brought him to me as a birthday gift!! I couldn't really give him back to be trailed all the way back to Newcastle - and lets face it - if he is going to do something like that and plead ignorance - then I wasn't giving Max back to him!!

Milly was 9 weeks old when I got her - ftgh. However, that said, when I went to pick her up she was really sleepy and cuddled up to me. They guy said it was because she had just had a feed off her mum!!

They are both fine, but I have other older cats that teach them what's acceptable and whats not. My 3rd little kit was really really timid - as he was found wandering the streets. Initially, we had to lock him out of the dining room as he would come in and pinch something off your plate - whether it be meat, spaghetti, naan bread - in the blink of an eye - you could definitely tell he'd been used to eating what he could get hold of.

They are 3 very well rounded little kits and particularly the younger two - are cheeky little monkeys and soooo confident - there is nothing they are scared of!! :D But I suppose I'm lucky as my older cats are role models for them.

My partners auntie has just bought a 6 weeks old mix dog today and it cries so much, and cuddles up to their old 17yr border collie as much as it can. I think 6 weeks is too young for dogs and cats. I think they should leave their mum earliest at 8 weeks but I would keep them abit longer if I ever bred. At least this 6 weeks old dog can learn some things from the border collie.
Not from a breeder i hope

must keep accurate records and puppies cannot be sold until they are eight weeks old