Fitness First Hillsborough Closing

Fitness First, Hillsborough to close down

Date: 29/05/2011

Story submitted by: AnneSShare:

Health and fitness club, Fitness First on Penistone Road North is to close down at the end of June. Members are shocked at the news, many of whom have belonged to the gym since it opened in 1998.

Staff at Fitness First received dismissal notices on Friday. The gym will close at the end of June for refurbishment and re-open as a 24-hour gym, with hardly any staff, accessible by swipe card.

There will be no fitness classes and one member, Mary Walker, said, "I really enjoy the zumba and spin classes and I meet up with my friends for the combat class on a Saturday morning.

The hair and beauty salons have been given three weeks to find new premises and are said to be devastated by the news.

Things normally close down when they are no longer profitable, But that place seemed quite popular, surely it was making money.

I guess it will make more as a Pure Gym as they have no staff overheads then.. It has been a lot quieter in recent months, I am not suprised. Annoying though as I cannot stand SIV Gyms!

SIV - ponds forge/hillsborough leisure centre/concord

Just how busy they are really! the gyms themselves are brill as is the cost of the contracts - just get too busy!

Fitness First, Hillsborough to close down

Date: 29/05/2011

Story submitted by: AnneSShare:

Health and fitness club, Fitness First on Penistone Road North is to close down at the end of June. Members are shocked at the news, many of whom have belonged to the gym since it opened in 1998.

Staff at Fitness First received dismissal notices on Friday. The gym will close at the end of June for refurbishment and re-open as a 24-hour gym, with hardly any staff, accessible by swipe card.

There will be no fitness classes and one member, Mary Walker, said, "I really enjoy the zumba and spin classes and I meet up with my friends for the combat class on a Saturday morning.

The hair and beauty salons have been given three weeks to find new premises and are said to be devastated by the news.

Not sure if FF are being taken over by the Pure Gym wave, or whether FF are changing their business model to replicate Pure Gym.

As far as I understand fitness classes were run by freelance instructors.

Far more business sense to run as a Pure Gym style centre.

I didn't know Pure Gym was SIV.

I didn't know Pure Gym was SIV.

It isn't, no one said it was.

It isn't, no one said it was.

Ooooh sorry snappy.

I was reading Rich's post which said it was to change to Pure Gym which was annoying as he hated SIV.

There is still a stigma attached to SIV :shakes:

There is still a stigma attached to SIV :shakes:

whats that then?

hi got my letter from them saturday. they are reopenin as click with no staff. there will be no heavy weights as there be no staff to watch people.

there will not be a 24 hour like pure gym. the hours will remain the same.

there are tellin customers they can use millhouse.

ive been there 7years what a joke. its there staff i feel sorry for.

one guy who works there moved from liverpool to work there gave everthing up to start a fresh in sheffield and now as nothin.

it is really scary as it shows you nobodys job is safe.

good luck to all the staff at ff hope you find work soon. xx