Woodseats the nightmare continues

Catch a bus then

That's exactly what I do do. Have you nothing more interesting to say than that?

I am beginning to notice that people are saying journey times are slower but isn't that the same all over the city if not the country, car numbers are always increasing the roads cannot cope.

Is that really true though. Like many people, I've just assumed that traffic has been increasing year on year. But actually, since the mid 90s it seems to have levelled off and even reduced. Here are some details from the 2010 National Traffic Survey:

Since the early 1970s, the average distance people travel per year has increased by 50%. Most of this growth occurred during the 1970s and 1980s and was largely due to an increase in average trip lengths, which have risen by 50% since the early 1970s. Trip rates increased until the mid-1990s, but have since fallen back to close to the 1970s level. Since the late 1990s, the average distance travelled and average trip lengths have generally levelled off.

Between 1995/97 and 2010 there was a steadily falling trend in trip numbers. In 2010 the average person made 960 trips per year compared to 1,086 in 1995/97 – a fall of 12%. The average trip length in 2010 was 7 miles (11.3 Km) an increase of 9% from 6.4 miles (10.3 Km) in 1995/97. Of all trips made in 2010, 20% were less than one mile (1.6 Km) in length and 95% were less than 25 miles (40 Km).

In the 90s there were nothing like the traffic control measures that are in place now, including permit zones. I can't help feeling that all in all, the problems have either been pushed somewhere else, or exacerbated.

Don't work that end of Sheffield very often luckily but always a nightmare it's like hills borough on match days

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallBuilder

I am beginning to notice that people are saying journey times are slower but isn't that the same all over the city if not the country, car numbers are always increasing the roads cannot cope.

Is that really true though. Like many people, I've just assumed that traffic has been increasing year on year. But actually, since the mid 90s it seems to have levelled off and even reduced. Here are some details from the 2010 National Traffic Survey:

Since the early 1970s, the average distance people travel per year has increased by 50%. Most of this growth occurred during the 1970s and 1980s and was largely due to an increase in average trip lengths, which have risen by 50% since the early 1970s. Trip rates increased until the mid-1990s, but have since fallen back to close to the 1970s level. Since the late 1990s, the average distance travelled and average trip lengths have generally levelled off.

Between 1995/97 and 2010 there was a steadily falling trend in trip numbers. In 2010 the average person made 960 trips per year compared to 1,086 in 1995/97 – a fall of 12%. The average trip length in 2010 was 7 miles (11.3 Km) an increase of 9% from 6.4 miles (10.3 Km) in 1995/97. Of all trips made in 2010, 20% were less than one mile (1.6 Km) in length and 95% were less than 25 miles (40 Km).

In the 90s there were nothing like the traffic control measures that are in place now, including permit zones. I can't help feeling that all in all, the problems have either been pushed somewhere else, or exacerbated.

To be fair, that only says that per person, we are travelling at about the same rate that we were in

the mid 90's.

What it doesn't say is how many more people are actually making those trips.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

To be fair, that only says that per person, we are travelling at about the same rate that we were in

the mid 90's.

What it doesn't say is how many more people are actually making those trips.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Good point, will have to see if there's anything on number of journeys overall. Also, I'm not saying car ownership, traffic, parking etc isn't a problem per se. Just wondering if all the tinkering has actually made much improvement overall. I can totally see that there are some reall black spots, where residents are plagued by traffic noise and conjestion, but on the whole I suspect that many measures implemented have just made things bad elsewhere.

Just driven from Meadowhead to Carterknowle Lane ... journey time 43 mins!

At least I had the amusement of watching all the cars speeding down the left-hand lane down Meadowhead and then doing a U-turn in Morrisons to continue down Chesterfield Road. There seemed to be more cars doing this than actually waiting in the queue.

I'm glad I don't travel on this stretch of road very often.

At least I had the amusement of watching all the cars speeding down the left-hand lane down Meadowhead and then doing a U-turn in Morrisons to continue down Chesterfield Road. There seemed to be more cars doing this than actually waiting in the queue.

You would have been better off driving down Greenhill Avenue/Bocking Lane. I live just off Abbey Lane (Woodseats end) and I always go that way unless it's very quiet.

Your journey might have been quicker if Carterknowle Lane had existed.

The trouble with Woodseats Traffic as i see it, it stems from the Bridge at Heeley bottom ever since they narrowed it and took the "two lanes in to town inthe morning" between 8 and 9-30 am then "two lanes back out 4-30 to 6-30" out. It has a kock on effect all the way to Woodseats.Put these lanes back get rid of some of the crossings(how can you have a crossing every 100yds in a quarter of a mile) take the shelterd parking bays out between 8 and 9-30am and 4-30 and 6-30 this lets traffic flow,it worked well before planner 1 and friends got there hands on it.

worked well before planner 1 and friends got there hands on it.

Erm, no it didn't.

Not sure what can be done, it's just too many cars going down a single lane road.

Erm, no it didn't.

Not sure what can be done, it's just too many cars going down a single lane road.

With far too many pedestrian crossings all poorly sequenced (unless you're a pedestrian).

If someone from the Council actually monitored these lights they'd see the timings are totally wrong. At the times the bus lane isn't in operation which is all except the rush hours it's often quicker to do as you've described above.