Fair day rate for a bricklayer

i always think settle on a price job and done,you are paying for there skill more than time,but do set a time limit,otherwise they may just come and go between other jobs

44 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i always think settle on a price job and done,you are paying for there skill more than time,but do set a time limit,otherwise they may just come and go between other jobs

Very good point . Best to say when you start job I want you their till it is finished . Unless they run out of material  I was always labour only . So builder or householder got stuff on job . We found that best for us . Then if you got ripped off you only lost your sweat  but that never happened to me 

I know a few lads who got ripped off by cowboy customers (strange we never hear about them int it) . One job I worked on at Woodseats  the bloke locked him self in house , We sat on  wall a few hours making a row ,then big Vinny of Gleadless ave , went to work with brick hammer , all the corners some  how got in the way of Viny's swinging hammer and the garage looked like a bomb had dropped , another pal of mine Brian Widdowson got ripped of by a customer who had got grant money to add a bathroom to his terrace at Crookes , turned out he was the crook as he spent the grant money on a new car and gave Brian the knock back . Brian hammered in the drains and soil pipes and if I remember right got done for criminal damage . so the laws is  an ass when it comes to people ripping builders off .

We often had people from a certain community who always wanted discount and will argue over paying when jobs done , They would some times end up looking very sorry for them selves when my mate Tosh got annoyed by their usual tac tics .

Edited by cuttsie

On 07/01/2022 at 08:55, cuttsie said:

I know a few lads who got ripped off by cowboy customers (strange we never hear about them int it) . One job I worked on at Woodseats  the bloke locked him self in house , We sat on  wall a few hours making a row ,then big Vinny of Gleadless ave , went to work with brick hammer , all the corners some  how got in the way of Viny's swinging hammer and the garage looked like a bomb had dropped , another pal of mine Brian Widdowson got ripped of by a customer who had got grant money to add a bathroom to his terrace at Crookes , turned out he was the crook as he spent the grant money on a new car and gave Brian the knock back . Brian hammered in the drains and soil pipes and if I remember right got done for criminal damage . so the laws is  an ass when it comes to people ripping builders off .

We often had people from a certain community who always wanted discount and will argue over paying when jobs done , They would some times end up looking very sorry for them selves when my mate Tosh got annoyed by their usual tac tics .

Good point but some lads didn't have the option of getting a bit of satisfaction.

Sometimes they had to swallow it and couldn't afford to stand the knock.

18 hours ago, Alextopman said:

Good point but some lads didn't have the option of getting a bit of satisfaction.

Sometimes they had to swallow it and couldn't afford to stand the knock.

Myself and two alberts took big chimney pot down for guy I told him price . When I went for money he tried to knock 20 of price Albert told him he would take pot back up then drop it through roof he paid up ,one guy we did extensions for used to knock money off booking in wages every week telling us staff had not passed booking to him , saw lady asked her about it  he was telling lies . We never tried it on with him so why do that .  

8 hours ago, Slinny said:

Myself and two alberts took big chimney pot down for guy I told him price . When I went for money he tried to knock 20 of price Albert told him he would take pot back up then drop it through roof he paid up ,one guy we did extensions for used to knock money off booking in wages every week telling us staff had not passed booking to him , saw lady asked her about it  he was telling lies . We never tried it on with him so why do that .  

Couldn't agree more I know two Bricklayers who did a £2,000 extension in the late 60's and got bumped for the money, I think about how wrong it was every time I drive past it. You will have known the Bricklayers and also the person who bumped them for the money.

I had it happen a couple of times to me once by an Asian restaurant owner and once by a Gypsy who gave us a £50 tip after the first job and then locked himself in the house without paying after the next job.

Also what about those brickwork agents of more recent times who pocketed all those thousands in retention money?.

Edited by Alextopman

Hi I hav just been talking to guy working on site near us . Asked if could get bricklayers ,said very hard . Asked what were prices like now . 750  pounds per thousand  some pay I told him when I started on hod in 1963 in footings 6£ per thousand commons and £9 faceing bricks we have guy doing work on our bungalow , he starts 9 30 and as gone just turned 4 o’clock  not same now is it 

On 17/01/2022 at 13:44, Slinny said:

Hi I hav just been talking to guy working on site near us . Asked if could get bricklayers ,said very hard . Asked what were prices like now . 750  pounds per thousand  some pay I told him when I started on hod in 1963 in footings 6£ per thousand commons and £9 faceing bricks we have guy doing work on our bungalow , he starts 9 30 and as gone just turned 4 o’clock  not same now is it 

Hi just another word on site near me they are building 300 houses ,six weeks ago they had got six very small detached houses ready for scaffolding, still not done. Bricklayers if they go any slower they will stop . Only four on job.  650£ per thousand . On sites in North Yorkshire they are getting 850 per thousand , . I worked hassels in sixty’s and seventy’s working example small detached house from damp to topping out . Two weeks . You had to to earn money  we were sub contract  , if you did not do anything no wages ,today if that was same no one would have any money  what a mess . We are in , this is happening all over the place. 

On 15/04/2022 at 09:54, Slinny said:

Hi just another word on site near me they are building 300 houses ,six weeks ago they had got six very small detached houses ready for scaffolding, still not done. Bricklayers if they go any slower they will stop . Only four on job.  650£ per thousand . On sites in North Yorkshire they are getting 850 per thousand , . I worked hassels in sixty’s and seventy’s working example small detached house from damp to topping out . Two weeks . You had to to earn money  we were sub contract  , if you did not do anything no wages ,today if that was same no one would have any money  what a mess . We are in , this is happening all over the place. 

Site top off east bank road , started over six years ago, Hassels would have done that sight in 

about two years from start to finish , Pwd would not be far behind them , sight up near Fair ways pub , been on go now two years and not a brick  put down yet , scaffold twice as much material used since they made it compulsory to make it independent,  , safety as gone through the roof ,  Far to many in offices running about in firms cars , 

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Site top off east bank road , started over six years ago, Hassels would have done that sight in 

about two years from start to finish , Pwd would not be far behind them , sight up near Fair ways pub , been on go now two years and not a brick  put down yet , scaffold twice as much material used since they made it compulsory to make it independent,  , safety as gone through the roof ,  Far to many in offices running about in firms cars , 

When we worked at Colin Huslers in the early. 70’s we used to put those bungalows up in a week, was it £75  we got. Or just  a bit more

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

When we worked at Colin Huslers in the early. 70’s we used to put those bungalows up in a week, was it £75  we got. Or just  a bit more

Yes but things have changed ,,They don’t work like we did , I know they should not have to , we were a different lot , If you looked in the Sheffield star , firms were wanting building trade workers from our town all over this country , I walk past sites. or even past road works and see men standing around in groups doing nothing ,, I was  brought up to work even when I was on day work, not a price,  when we were on the job you said, we were earning around. £30 some weeks we earned £35/, , to me that was a very good job  we did not get it for. hanging around  I never liked hanging around ,

May need one this year as we are having an extension,  is Mikey 10 still working?