Bill Whittingham, ex Alfred Road

I am sorry to have to report that an old pal of mine from Sheffield's East End, BILL WHITTINGHAM, who used to live at 50 Alfred Road (at the junction with Canny Street), has died after a long battle with cancer. He was a great guy, a very brave lad who overcame many big setbacks, including the amputation of both his legs some 25 years ago, and the early and cruel loss of his lovely wife Barbara, and yet he always remained positive and always had a smile on his face. Back in the late 1940s, when we were kids together, we used to play football and cricket (depending on the season) on the 'Oller or at the Paget Street end of Canny Street for hours on end. I am sure there are many old Newhall folk out there who remember Bill, and I hope this message will be seen by some of them. In modern years Bill has lived in the Wincobank area.

i will ask my dad,he was born on paget street and after lived on alfred rd.

I am sorry to have to report that an old pal of mine from Sheffield's East End, BILL WHITTINGHAM, who used to live at 50 Alfred Road (at the junction with Canny Street), has died after a long battle with cancer. He was a great guy, a very brave lad who overcame many big setbacks, including the amputation of both his legs some 25 years ago, and the early and cruel loss of his lovely wife Barbara, and yet he always remained positive and always had a smile on his face. Back in the late 1940s, when we were kids together, we used to play football and cricket (depending on the season) on the 'Oller or at the Paget Street end of Canny Street for hours on end. I am sure there are many old Newhall folk out there who remember Bill, and I hope this message will be seen by some of them. In modern years Bill has lived in the Wincobank area.

Hi this is Bills Neice.

Thank you for posting this thread but just to clarify - he lost half a leg, not both.

i lived on alfred road some 53 years ago but moved when iwas about 7 i will ask my dad he will be sure to remember him he knew everyone down there