Your thoughts on tattoos and piercings!

Say it again - you folks - its your skin.

Personally - big tattoos on females make them look a mess. I hear there are vacancies at the carnival for a new painted lady. Only jesting ... I think.

But small tattoos are okay. Something about females with big tattoos and how when a female sees one lass with it done she has to follow suit and join the club. I guess for some its like trying to regain lost youth; for others its to annoy; for others its cos they want to be sheep; and then there are those who actually do it for the artiness of it. Not met one of those yet.

Just do not like tattoos.

Dragon

If you want one, fine, its up to you.

Ive never had either because I dont want to look like a scrubber. I dont find them attractive on men either.

Once again, its down to personal choice, so its fairly pointless you slagging me off for my opinion.

I have got my ears done 4 times in one ear (one at the top) and 3 on the other but I dont have my earings in all the time. I sometimes just have one in.

I have got my navel peirced which NO ONE will EVER see until iv lost weight

I used to have my nose peirced when i was at school- regret having that done.

I have got a tatoo on my right shoulder of the flowerpot off green days album, kerplunk. and before u say 'you will regret having that done when u dont like green day anymore'... i dont, so far, think that day will ever come, and if by some chance it DOES happen- i can just say 'its just a flowerpot with a dodgy face'. to me- it looks good whatever is represents

Before any more people go making ridiculous assumptions about why people get inked, might I direct you to a book called 'In The Flesh: The Cultural Politics Of Body Modification' by Victoria Pitts.

It saddens me to think that even in such a culturally diverse city as Sheffield, there exists such a vast amount of small-minded bigots (and they all seem to want to post in these threads!).

Part of original post by badhairdo

---I am also pierced and very soon to be implanted and and tongue-splitted in the not to distant future. I think my mods make me look damn sexy and Im not alone in that :)

Badhairdo... Implanted and tongue-splitted? Can you explain this please? Implanted with what? And is it literally splitting the tip of the tongue?

I'm not being critical, what you choose to do is your own busines and none of mine...

But I AM very curious, firstly about what it entails and also your reasons for doing it... You say that you consider that it makes you look sexy... Is that the only reason, or are there others?

Feel free to ignore this post if you so wish, as I say, it's really none of my business! ;)

Originally posted by badhairdo

Before any more people go making ridiculous assumptions about why people get inked, might I direct you to a book called 'In The Flesh: The Cultural Politics Of Body Modification' by Victoria Pitts.

wouldn't that involve them reading???

Bic0... I am more than happy to answer posts, my last post was aimed at those whos views are fuelled by ignorance. Tongue spitting is pretty much as you say. It's usually done as far back to the point where the fraenum (the webby bit underneath) joins the tongue. Implants are when the jewellery is inserted under the skin. It is more permanenet thatn pierceing and would require surgery to remove them. There are two types.. transdermal and subdermal. Transdermals protrude from the skin and should be made of high grade titanium. Subdermals do not exit the skin and are made of silicone, teflon or other bio-inert substances.

Aesthetics are only the tip of it for me. I have far deeper reasons for modifying myself. One of the main reasons being exhibiting some kind of control over my body. The society in which we exist exerts so much control over our lives, telling us what to eat, what to wear, how to feel etc that the only thing that is truly mine is my body, and I am free to with it as I wish, and they have even tried to legislate against that (research Intellectual Property Rights and the human genome and also have a look at the outcome of 'operation Spanner' in the '80s). Body modification, for me, is also a method of exploration.. overcoming fear and understanding pain, feeling the different highs and finding my limits. It is a very liberating thing and makes me a stronger person.

Moon... couldn't have put it better myself!:thumbsup:

Think seriously about it before having it done. It took me 4 years to decide and I don't regret having it done even though it shocked some people in my family. They've got over it now.

End of shift, you do it for yourself.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by meumeu77

Think seriously about it before having it done. It took me 4 years to decide and I don't regret having it done even though it shocked some people in my family. They've got over it now.

End of shift, you do it for yourself.

:thumbsup:

Good advice :)

Maybe we should start a thread with forumers' tattoo pics?

:)

Badhairdo... Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions... I now know a little more about the technicalities of it all.

Your reasons are interesting, I share your feelings about society to a certain extent but would never contemplate doing the same as yourself.

You talk about understanding pain... I understand pain just fine! It hurts! ... In fact it's the reason why I believe in the faith that I do, it forbids me to experience unnecessary pain, it's called The Path of Devout Cowardice and I'm a confirmed follower of it! ;)

In all seriousness though, the insight into your reasons, I find fascinating, with them being so alien to my own thoughts on self-expression, my thanks to you for explaining them.

Regards, Bic0...