Are old people bleeding the country dry?

I think the CHILD BENEFIT should be capped to two children. I am sick of people spitting out kids as a lifestyle choice because they know they will get more money. I think the incentive to get back to work should be greater, or once the child reaches 3 they should be made to go out and get a job (or do a training course etc) as there is the government funding for your children to go to nursery once they reach 3 years old.
so the government funding is ok to take care of your child to attend nursery ? yet your knocking pensioners who might have worked all their lives getting what their entitled too :loopy:

so the government funding is ok to take care of your child to attend nursery ? yet your knocking pensioners who might have worked all their lives getting what their entitled too :loopy:
I never said the government funding is OK did I? I was just stating that when your child reaches 3 there isn't really any reason (aside from the obvious) why people can't go and get a job as they don't have to pay for as many hours of child care.

Why not pay all benefits and allowances at a proportion of what that individual has paid into the system ?

Obviously special cases such as the ill who have been unable to work and contribute would be paid using a different criteria.

Because that doesn't actually achieve the objective of being a safety net for those in need does it.

Why not pay all benefits and allowances at a proportion of what that individual has paid into the system ?

Obviously special cases such as the ill who have been unable to work and contribute would be paid using a different criteria.

If you are certified ill or unable to work you are credited with contributions.

Because that doesn't actually achieve the objective of being a safety net for those in need does it.

See reply #209

Old

Age and

Poverty

Is what retirement was referred to. My grandfather worked from 14 years of age until he was 80 years of age in a manual job in conditions that would not be allowed today.

He died in hospital after taking time of work to have an operation.

See reply #209

#209 doesn't answer the point I made.

So someone who was at 18 thrown out of their parents home and couldn't (for some short period of time) find a job would receive nothing because they had contributed nothing.

They'd be unlikely to let themselves starve, but very likely to turn to crime to feed themselves. Either way, they'd actually cost more to society through the crime or through the police, court and prison resources than if they were given enough to survive until they did find a job.

2 jobs I know of at clintons in meadowhall :/ is it only me who knows how many jobs are goin or an excuse by people not to get one?
These days for the most menial of jobs you're asked to virtualy provide your life history by empoyers with delusions of granduer.

My wife started work in 1963 and in 2007 became officialy retired, she recently applied for a 9hrs part time job as a check out operator for a supermarket chain, she was asked to provides dates etc where she worked on leaving school, how long, why she left, why were there gaps in some of her years of various employments covering a total of 48yrs.

All this to work 9hrs in a supermarket for the minimum wage.

In the 70s I remember Chesterfield Council advertisng pavers jobs with so many GCEs required.

Just to take a step back from this. The Old Age Pensions Act of 1908 was introduced by a Liberal government under the leadership of David Lloyd George to give a modest income (1s to 5s (5p to 25p)) to those over 70 who could not earn a living anymore and had an income less than 12s (60p). It was designed to approximate half the average national income (around £225 p/w in todays terms). In the decades since, a myriad of changes have taken place to build the benefits and pensions systems up to the size they currently are. BUT, the key factor is that whatever government is in power, knows exactly what their pension liabilities will be and should plan the budget to service these liabilities (or change the rules). What you don't do is spend all the NI contributions on wars, overseas aid and the EU gravy train! No, you service the liabilities first and THEN, if there is any money left, spend it on whatever. Decades of financial mis-management by governments of all colours have led us to the parlarous state we are now in. Indeed, it is hard to see how we can get out of this mess without a total financial collapse and that will be tough on all of us. You certainly cannot borrow your way out of this as that justs makes a bad situation worse. So are elderly people bleeding the system dry? Absolutely not as most, like myself, will have paid a fortune over the years in NI and TAX, not to mention tax on tax and tax! We were fully funded, just that people like dear old Gordon spent the lot and then borrowed some more and spent that too.

On the money.

Regards

Angel.

#209 doesn't answer the point I made..

Of course it does, there is a safety net, you get credited with contributions if you're out of work sick or disabled.

So someone who was at 18 thrown out of their parents home and couldn't (for some short period of time) find a job would receive nothing because they had contributed nothing.

They'd be unlikely to let themselves starve, but very likely to turn to crime to feed themselves. Either way, they'd actually cost more to society through the crime or through the police, court and prison resources than if they were given enough to survive until they did find a job.

Rubbish you would have signed on and claimed unemployment or be credited, my wife signed on during the last years up to her retirement, she didn't get any benefits but she was credited with conributions, she had to travel once a fortnight into Chesterfield to sign on.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
quote tags

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afilsdesigne

Just to take a step back from this. The Old Age Pensions Act of 1908 was introduced by a Liberal government under the leadership of David Lloyd George to give a modest income (1s to 5s (5p to 25p)) to those over 70 who could not earn a living anymore and had an income less than 12s (60p). It was designed to approximate half the average national income (around £225 p/w in todays terms). In the decades since, a myriad of changes have taken place to build the benefits and pensions systems up to the size they currently are. BUT, the key factor is that whatever government is in power, knows exactly what their pension liabilities will be and should plan the budget to service these liabilities (or change the rules). What you don't do is spend all the NI contributions on wars, overseas aid and the EU gravy train! No, you service the liabilities first and THEN, if there is any money left, spend it on whatever. Decades of financial mis-management by governments of all colours have led us to the parlarous state we are now in. Indeed, it is hard to see how we can get out of this mess without a total financial collapse and that will be tough on all of us. You certainly cannot borrow your way out of this as that justs makes a bad situation worse. So are elderly people bleeding the system dry? Absolutely not as most, like myself, will have paid a fortune over the years in NI and TAX, not to mention tax on tax and tax! We were fully funded, just that people like dear old Gordon spent the lot and then borrowed some more and spent that too.

On the money.

Regards

Angel.

I've bumped your post to encourage more people to read the true facts.