My nightmare of a family tree

Im doing my family tree and its doing my nut in !!!! . My name is Helen Lavery was Wragg and used to live on Ingram Rd. My dads side is the one is doing my head in cos Iv hit the proverbial brick wall and Iv had to give it a rest for a bit.! My Grandads name was Tom Wragg and I found his mum

Elizabeth but cant find any sign of her husband.Im on Ancestry and doing quite well with Grandmas side,but my Grandads is a nitemare ! Iv been on the census for various years and have found her and my Grandad and brothers etc,but on the form it says she was a widow on each one.Shes down as Charwoman. My Grandad and Grandma lived in Deep Lane and I think my Great Grandma eventually lived in Upwell St.My Dad used to visit her there many times during the war ! Mum says she doesnt remember ever seeing my Great Grandad whilst she visited them ! Why would my Great Grandma be down as a widow even as far back as 1900 census -thats where I first saw my Grandad on it ! When I went on 1890 census,she was down as widow there as well ! Iv a feeling Im just not going to get to bottom of this mystery at all ! Can anyone help at all. My Grandma was Mabel Wragg,was Rea.

Im doing my family tree and its doing my nut in !!!! . My name is Helen Lavery was Wragg and used to live on Ingram Rd. My dads side is the one is doing my head in cos Iv hit the proverbial brick wall and Iv had to give it a rest for a bit.! My Grandads name was Tom Wragg and I found his mum

Elizabeth but cant find any sign of her husband.Im on Ancestry and doing quite well with Grandmas side,but my Grandads is a nitemare ! Iv been on the census for various years and have found her and my Grandad and brothers etc,but on the form it says she was a widow on each one.Shes down as Charwoman. My Grandad and Grandma lived in Deep Lane and I think my Great Grandma eventually lived in Upwell St.My Dad used to visit her there many times during the war ! Mum says she doesnt remember ever seeing my Great Grandad whilst she visited them ! Why would my Great Grandma be down as a widow even as far back as 1900 census -thats where I first saw my Grandad on it ! When I went on 1890 census,she was down as widow there as well ! Iv a feeling Im just not going to get to bottom of this mystery at all ! Can anyone help at all. My Grandma was Mabel Wragg,was Rea.

I'll have a look at it, just give me a bit of time to get my head around the information! :D

It can't be worse than the brother and sister in Saturday's paper who had been adopted and were searching for their father and it turned out to be Charles Manson, can you imagine that? Poor kids

According to this your grandad was John T Wragg. Can you give me the link to the census you found him in as when I looked for his birth it said 1901.

John T Wragg

Spouse Surname: Rea Mabel

Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1928

Registration district: Sheffield

Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding

Volume Number: 9c

Page Number: 1292

Find Spouse: Find Spouse

John Thomas Wragg

Birth Date: 19 Aug 1901

Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1975

Age at Death: 73

Inferred County: South Yorkshire

Volume: 3

Page: 1198

Edited by Rivelin6

If the Elizabeth you found is the one living on Courtham Dun Street in 1901, then this is her family in 1891

Elizabeth Wragg

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859

Relation: Wife

Spouse's Name: Benjamin Wragg

Where born: Sheffield

Civil parish: Sheffield

Ecclesiastical parish: Moorfields St Jude

County/Island: Yorkshire

Sub-registration district: North Sheffield

ED, institution, or vessel: 3

Neighbors: View others on page

Piece: 3816

Folio: 62

Page Number: 6

Household Members:

Name Age

Benjamin Wragg 32

Elizabeth Wragg 32

Alice Wragg 10

Nelson Wragg 8

Spencer Wragg 7

Alick Wragg 5

Owen Wragg 4

Alfred Wragg 4/12

It can't be worse than the brother and sister in Saturday's paper who had been adopted and were searching for their father and it turned out to be Charles Manson, can you imagine that? Poor kids

im related to charles peace, not quite as bad granted lol

Really, some years ago I worked in a doctors surgery and (Ican't remember which) but his son or grandson was a patient there, this was about 28 years ago and he was called Charlie Peace and he would have been about 60ish then. he was a sweet man

Rivelyn 6 thats the one exactly ! My grandads there ! Iv still got a feeling Im going to open up a can of worms ! I cant find my Great Grandad.Please find this for me

There is nothing stranger than family, until my father died, no one in the family knew that the aunt who lived across the road was my fathers sister. When my mother died we didn't know that there was another aunt who , during the 2nd world war ran away with a sheffield solicitor. why do we need to know all the history of the family ?, are we just nosey and trying to find rich relatives and/or how relative is it, surely the future is more important, why do we want to look back.

...surely the future is more important, why do we want to look back.
A good question. It's the future that matters, but tracing one's roots has never been so popular. Of course, it's much easier now thanks to the Internet and the availability of indexed census returns, BMD records etc. I've been tracing my ancestry for nearly 40 years, and as always I found the occasional "skeleton in the cupboard". For example my mum, bless her, was illegitimate - though my grandparents did the decent thing and married when she was a few months old. But I also learned that her great-grandfather Henry Whittles saved his family from the Sheffield Flood of 1864 when their house near Hillsborough Corner was almost swept away, and going back further, one of my ancestors fought the French at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. Yer pays yer money....:)

Rivelyn 6 thats the one exactly ! My grandads there ! Iv still got a feeling Im going to open up a can of worms ! I cant find my Great Grandad.Please find this for me

Something I don't quite understand here is that John T Wragg wasn't born till after the 1901 census was taken so how could he be in that census? I didn't find him in here, so how do you know this Elizabeth was his mother?

Elizabeth Wragg

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859

Relation: Head

Where born: Bradfield, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Sheffield

Ecclesiastical parish: Sheffield St Phillip

County/Island: Yorkshire

Sub-registration district: North Sheffield

ED, institution, or vessel: 10

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 15

Piece: 4364

Folio: 50

Page Number: 4

Household Members:

Name Age

Elizabeth Wragg 42

Spencer Wragg 16

Alec Wragg 15

Owen Wragg 14

Alfred Wragg 10

Charlotte Wragg 6

Edited by Rivelin6

There is nothing stranger than family, until my father died, no one in the family knew that the aunt who lived across the road was my fathers sister. When my mother died we didn't know that there was another aunt who , during the 2nd world war ran away with a sheffield solicitor. why do we need to know all the history of the family ?, are we just nosey and trying to find rich relatives and/or how relative is it, surely the future is more important, why do we want to look back.

Unless you know your history you cannot put your family into context. I started researching my family history after my mother died fairly young. I realised the only person I had left to ask about the family was my dad as I don't have any aunts or uncles. It has helped me understand who I am and how history repeats itself within the family. It was never my intention to find anyone famous. Many people have unanswered questions about their family and are left wondering what really happened to a certain person. Genealogy can't answer everything and often brings up more questions but for many it helps them put some issues to rest.

Edited by Rivelin6