My Pup has skin trouble can anyone help?

:) Hi everyone

I have a problem with my puppy, she has like I would describe as eczema in the groin of her legs, can anyone please give me anymore ideas on what I can use or do before I take her back to the vets. This is what I have done already:-

Antibiotics from the vets - this did nothing for her

Giving evening primrose

only shampooing her with an antibacterial shampoo - not on a regular basis

I have just changed her food - from today

This problem started a couple of weeks ago, and last week it had just about cleared up, but the other day she started nibbling and scratching herself again and now she is sore again.

Any ideas are greatly welcome :)

try a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in the water.

After trying all the things you tried, a random person who sawmy dog suggested it to me (turns out she was an animal naturapath (!!!!) )and it worked a treat.

I often have it in a glass of water for myself too. :D

Cheers Scozzie - this is a new one on me, so I will give it ago.

Sudacream is always good, I use it on my dog before bedtime. Or go and ask at the chemist. They will advise what to buy over the counter, its cheaper than the vets. Just remember to test the product on yourself first, try to do this where your skin maybe more sensitive, e.g. face.

Also try antihistamine (human hayfever tablets - non drowsy) it might being the rash down a little.

Mine gets rashes in the summer and this works a treat.

A few years ago we had a cat who all of a sudden developed a bad skin problem. He was constantly scratching and licking himself until the skin became red and so sore it began weeping. We tried everything, i think even the vet was baffled!! It was around the time that Frontline flea treatment became available that we discovered using it not only got rid of fleas, but cleared the problem up and worked absolute wonders on him. He never suffered again from the problem and had a perfect healthy coat after that!

I'm not saying it works this way on all animals but its certainly worth a try, we were so relieved that it eased his frustration and discomfort and maybe it can help your little one to :)

Sudacream is always good, I use it on my dog before bedtime. Or go and ask at the chemist. They will advise what to buy over the counter, its cheaper than the vets. Just remember to test the product on yourself first, try to do this where your skin maybe more sensitive, e.g. face.

Also try antihistamine (human hayfever tablets - non drowsy) it might being the rash down a little.

Mine gets rashes in the summer and this works a treat.

I was the local Sudocrem rep for almost a decade and so many of my samples went to be used on horses and dogs belonging to the district nurse and health visitor staff, rather than being given out to mums.

Apparently it's really good for sorting out rubbed sore patches from bridles and the like and is pretty good as a fly repellent for round horses' eyes too (anecdotal evidence only- we only ever tested for human uses).

The important thing with Sudocrem, especially with the more hairy type of baby, is not to use too much, or it will really gunk up the fur and be hard to remove, with it being a barrier cream.

What type of dog is she?some are more prone to skin conditions,Dalmatians for example..Logan goes red and nibbles inside his back legs too.I use sudocrem.it works wonders.

What food are you feeding?

Antibiotics kill the stomachs good bacteria which could cause this reaction by increasing the yeast levels in your dog how long as it been since you stopped antibiotics ?. Try her on some natural yogurt it will replace the good bacteria

try e45 its a cream mainly for excema, i actually rang the vets and asked if it was ok to use on a dog when i had my grooming salon, when the dog came bk 2 month later it had gone and most of her hair had grown because the owners started using e45 on my reccomendation

I'v tried alsort's on my dog and found the change in food to one with no addertives an colouring's helped a great deal but he still get's the rash in the summer. I'v always used sudocrem to sooth the itching and it work's very well. Recently i tried oat's, just plain porridge oats soaked in water an then soaked the liquid up on cotton wool and rubbed it on the area, this also seem's to work really well an also made his skin very soft and smooth. But still i have not found any thing that stop's it from happening in the first place.

My white staffy suffers terribly from this, it effects his whole under belly, armpits etc and looks awful. Started from him being 9 weeks old and he's now 14 years old! Had skin scrapes, antibiotics, steroid tablets and injections, flea treatments, special diet, no treats etc all to no real avail. Tried E45 and sudocrem but this doesn't work.

The best I can do for him is give regular baths in tea tree doggy shampoo, towel dry then put Metanium cream on (this goes on in the daytime when I can watch him, however he's never gone to lick it off) which really seems to help and calm it down. He's having a good patch at the moment where we only have one 50p size area effected but i'm pretty certain it'll not be long before it flares up again.

The vets are at a loss to what could be causing this, during a really bad stint he goes for steroid treatment, but most of the time its baths and cream that keep it pink rather than angry red.