Does anyone know what that tower is near Strines Inn pub?

I was with my girlfriend yesterday driving up on the countryside and I saw this castle thing in the distance from The Strines Inn pub, we went up on Sugworth Road towards Dungworth and found the field it was in, so we walked down towards it. inside it looks like an old watch tower and on the entrance above the door it says 1616 on it. does anyone know what it is and what it was used for?

It's known locally as Boot's Folly. It was built in 1927 by Charles Boot using leftover stone from the construction of Bents Hall. As a folly, it served no real purpose except to prove work for his men during the depression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strines_Reservoir

Arghhh ..... Beat me to it

Haha cheers for that! it just looked a bit odd it being there on it's own and above the door it said 1616 on it so i was a bit confused. thanks a lot

. As a folly, it served no real purpose except to prove work for his men during the depression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strines_Reservoir

I thought part of the reasoning behind a folly was that it was a way for the builder to advertise his work and abilities in a similar way that you can find miniature replicas of antique furniture

I'm under the belief that it was built to allow Charles Boot a view of his wifes grave across the valley.

I also understood it to be a place from which to view across the valley.

I thought part of the reasoning behind a folly was that it was a way for the builder to advertise his work and abilities in a similar way that you can find miniature replicas of antique furniture

Thats right-most Dolls'houses are the product of cabinet-makers anxious to expand their clientelle in some small way;Charles Dodson himself was unemployed when he wrote the classic Alice in the Dolls House.As you know he later became Lewis Carrol and wrote a similar book about a girl's imprisonment.

I'm under the belief that it was built to allow Charles Boot a view of his wifes grave across the valley.

I came from that area and that's what I was told too.

I thought that too.