Fiona's Story - Sheffield

Yes I've read that book, very sad...not only for Fiona but the heartbreak her parents went through knowing that they were helpless to help their daughter, knowing there was nothing they could do as the drugs/lifestyle already had hold of her even though they tried everything....poor people

My son was in the same class as Fiona's younger sister Rebbecca, Fiona was three or four years their senior, she was a very good friend of my mate's eldest daughter, there was a brother but I can't remember his name.

The mother was Irene and the father was Paul, he left the family home in Totley to set up home with a rich older woman. Fiona was living with a black guy in Exeter Drive flats when she was aged 14, had Paul asked for any back up I could have guaranteed me and my mate, but he didn't.

You could have knocked my son and me down with a feather when Fiona's photo appeared on the news, along with the report of her brutal murder in a car park in Doncaster. Irene teamed up with Suzie Lamplugh's mother in an attempt to warn young women about the dangers surrounding them, however Fiona had been on the game when she was murdered, Suzie was a very respectable young woman.

Irene died quite a few years ago, I have heard conflicting reports about Paul, I have seen Rebbecca a couple of times in town and have no idea what has happened to the lad.

A bloody sad state of affairs all round.

Edited by crookesey

if you like true stories try reading priceless by charlie daniels she was a prostitute who tells her story based in sheffield too

I'm really into these true stories.. I'm half way through the Priceless book. Will look for Fiona's story after this one.

I didn't know there had been a book written about this, but I remember the incident well. Poor little girl.

I've read it- I sat up all night and read it in one sitting. Cried buckets. I ran into Irene many times though my work. She was a lovely woman. So sad for all the family :(

What I find upsetting is that the people that should be there to help protect these vunerable girls dont give a damn.

A while ago I was in a position where I was asked by a friend to help him get his sister out of a house where she was being held and used as a prostitute for 14 months. When we approached the police they told us that she was 25 and a big girl and if she wanted to leave she would. We showed the police women on the desk the text that he was sent and she still wasnt interested.

Thankfully at another police station the following day we got more joy and she is now in loving safe surroundings back with her family. No thanks to the arrogant wpc. I think if she was of eastern european desent it would have been a whole load different.

The authorites are quick to punish these girls with fines and so forth but its protection and education that is needed.

I read Fiona's Story years ago. It was very moving.

Finished reading Priceless the other week but I don't think it was as well written.

One of Irenes (Fionas mother) lasting legacies was setting up CROP (Coalition for the Removal of Pimping) - which has developed into a great organisation tackling child exploitation - more details here http://www.cropuk.org.uk/home

What I find upsetting is that the people that should be there to help protect these vunerable girls dont give a damn.

<snip>

The authorites are quick to punish these girls with fines and so forth but its protection and education that is needed.

I agree clownaround. I think it would be far better if the law were changed so that the men who use these women are the ones who are criminalised, and punished, rather than the women themselves.

Thank goodness for people like CROP and the other organisations who are doing work to get the women off the streets.

I have read it - it made me think if it had happened to one of my daughters - its so easy for young girls of that age to fall prey to men of this nature. We have seen an example of that recently in Derby.

...............I feel so sad for the girls who go on the street as 'working girls'.

Often there is a pimp taking the money and controlling them. The famillies must go through hell, if anything happens to them.

I agree clownaround. I think it would be far better if the law were changed so that the men who use these women are the ones who are criminalised, and punished, rather than the women themselves.

Thank goodness for people like CROP and the other organisations who are doing work to get the women off the streets.

so paying a woman to have sex with him you would turn him into a criminal ?you had better start with the people in charge of the country then .just because money changes hands you could end up with a criminal record :loopy: how many women (and men)go out every weekend get laid with a stranger and nothings done ? i agree women forced into this by pimps against their will should be punished or girls doing this because they are on drugs etc need help .but criminalising both men and women for doing a service they both have entered into is laughable .