Accident at university roundabout

For me that's the worst place in Sheffield to be a pedestrian. At least at Waitrose on Ecclesall Road there's a subway but at the university roundabout you have to cross the road. The pavements are narrow and made narrower by the metal barriers. On top of that it's one of the busiest places in Sheffield for pedestrians as it's the university and one of the busiest for traffic. It would be hard to design a roundabout that's deliberately more dangerous.

That roundabout at the top of Netherthorpe (I assume this is the one being talked about) is ridiculous.

I work on Wilkinson Street and sometimes have the need to cross the road at the pedestrian crossing on Brook Hill, could somebody please explain this to me:

At lunchtime when I press the button to cross the road, the lights take a few minutes before they turn to red and let pedestrians across.

In the evening during the rush hour, as soon as anybody presses the button at these lights it seems that they turn red immediately to let pedestrians across.

The problem with this is that the traffic stopping at these lights queues back onto the roundabout and as soon as it's cleared, the lights turn red again and the traffic is backed up onto the roundabout again.

It makes it a nightmare for traffic driving up Hannover Way and is extremely dangerous.

Somebody needs to look at the timing on these lights, because the number of near misses I've seen because of traffic backing onto the roundabout is ridiculous.

I sometimes head down Glossop Road and onto West Bar just to avoid this roundabout in the evening.

Regards

Doom

when crossing forget lights and watch mad drivers

Better still ……..

Better still ……..

Or join the Tuffty club!

Or join the Tuffty club!

Obviously did us no wrong did it, then again we didn’t walk around with MP3 players or phones distracting us did we. :D

Obviously did us no wrong did it, then again we didn’t walk around with MP3 players or phones distracting us did we. :D

That was one sound rabbit-and you got a badge to wear round school.Did youm have annual visit for blind piano tuner ;ours thought he was Ray Charles

At lunchtime when I press the button to cross the road, the lights take a few minutes before they turn to red and let pedestrians across.

In the evening during the rush hour, as soon as anybody presses the button at these lights it seems that they turn red immediately to let pedestrians across.

I also find that the traffic moves very quickly on the roundabout. When you drive onto it you literally have to floor your car from stationary as the cars whizz around it so quickly, although there was no car in veiw to start with there will be by the time you are on the roundabout. This then has an impact on the the pedestrian crossing as you then have to be very aware where they are and ready to break quickly to slow down once off the roundabout.

I think most of the problem stem from the speed of the cars on the roundabout, but it is a vicious circle :suspect: as if everyone else is going that fast you have to floor it too! I suppose it is just a case of the roundabout not being large enough to make it slower.

That was one sound rabbit-and you got a badge to wear round school.Did youm have annual visit for blind piano tuner ;ours thought he was Ray Charles

Wasn't Tuffty a Squirrel?

And yes,I remember the blind piano tuner.