Vintage black & white portable tv how to compatible with digital changeover

I've got a 34 year old portable black and white tv that was bought for me when i was a nipper i don't want to get rid of it as it still works fine and its great for watching old films on, trouble is how do i go on when this changeover takes place? Is there a device of some sort i can purchase to make it work? Thanks for any replies in advance :)

eh? how to 'make' compatible - derrrr !!

I've got a 34 year old portable black and white tv that was bought for me when i was a nipper i don't want to get rid of it as it still works fine and its great for watching old films on, trouble is how do i go on when this changeover takes place? Is there a device of some sort i can purchase to make it work? Thanks for any replies in advance :)

Unless it has a SCART slot, I think you will struggle.

You just need a freeview box with an RF out, which connects to the aeriel socket on the TV. You can then tune the telly in to the freeview box.

You just need a freeview box with an RF out, which connects to the aeriel socket on the TV. You can then tune the telly in to the freeview box.

nice one - me mams got a freeview box, i'll whip it down to hers and give it a whirl :)

I should add that not all freeview boxes have the RF output, but it can still be done - If you have a VCR, you can connect the freeview to the VCR through scart, and connect the VCR to the telly through the RF (all VCRs have an RF output.) Then you can watch freeview through the VCR.

Unfortunately its not as simple as the the freeview box just having an RF (aerial) out.

Many of the cheaper boxes that advertise RF ouput only have an RF loopthrough - this means they just pass the normal aerial signal through to the TV without adding the output from the freeview box.

What you need in a freeview box with a full RF modulator.

A while back there was a chap on Look Leeds with a 60 year old telly with Freeview.

If you can find a Freeview box with coaxial output and tune your telly to the Freeview box you will have old-skool digital TV. Andy is correct, if you use a video player with the said coax' you'll work around the absence of SCART.

All TVs can be set up for dijji all you need is a dijji box with RF or scart depending on your TV type, but your dijji box must have RF modulator, hope this helps you.

Edited by d8j8s8

You can buy an RF Modulator from Maplins but to be honest I'd just get a telly with SCART.

You can buy an RF Modulator from Maplins but to be honest I'd just get a telly with SCART.

i've got 2 modern tellys with lots of scarts, i want to keep the old black and white for originality and its- retroness (if such a word exists) thanks for the replies so far

Todays deal of the day on ebay is a 19" dvd/tv with built in freeview tuner=£89 at Argos.

I know this doesn't answer your question,but it is an alternative if converting your old set becomes too difficult or costly.

Being as you are so attached to your old tv,you could perhaps convert it to something ornamental.