Totley in the 50s and 60s

Hi mandyw. I'm sure there must be people who've posted on this thread who'll remember your Dad. Can you give a rough idea of the dates he was landlord ?

Most people's recollections have been from the period Ozzie Tyler was there but there have been plenty who've seen Joe Cocker play at the Fleur but mainly from the period he was Vance Arnold.

well i was born in 1961 so he must have been at the pub before that maybe 1950's ish but we left around 1964 as he got a pub in Kirkham lancashire (The Swan in Kirkham) thats all I can remember

Hello Mandyw.my mum and dad worked at the fleur when your dad was the landlord I can remember them having a dog got run over by a car after that the dog when out would bark at cars passing the fleur.you were only a baby when l and my mother went to Blackpool with you and mum for a day out at that time your dad had a roller your mum clocked 100 plus in that car .did your dad retire to Blackpool.my dad was still there when you left .

wow this is interesting. Well I knew my dad likes cars in his day - i have loads of old black and white photos. I remember having a dog called yogi and have pics taken of me behind the pub in some sort of garden. He got the Swan in Kirkham but when I was 4 my mum (Brenda as i was told i always called her) well she left my dad in Kirkham and ran off with the glass collector. (never seen her since but have no desire to) Anyway my dad got ill whilst running the pub was in hosp for 26 weeks but he recovered the retired and we moved to lytham then Blackpool and he died sadly when i was only in my 20's.

he used to take me back to yorkshire every school holiday to my aunt and uncles pub now that was the Bay Horse near Rotherham in Scholes village John and Edna Walsh I loved it going back to Yorkshire

For got the name of your then dog yogi your mum did not like it when some time the dog would spend time with me and she would come looking for the dog I was aged about ten then .its a shame when you visited Rotherham you did not come over to totley my mother would loved to have seen you both .

I cant remember what breed of dog yogi was but i also remember a dog i had called shandy lol. Yes its a shame he never took me back to Totley how strange. Its been very uplifting when you replied i have lots of memories back in yorkshire. Thanks for replying. mandy

Hi Balthasar. Nice to see you're still around!

After I replied to mandyw saying there must be people who've posted on here who would know her Dad, I had a good think and reckoned that anyone who was 'legally' drinking in there in 1960 would be at least 75. Obviously as the years pass the likelihood of them being active posters on here diminishes. I know we've sadly lost some since I started this thread in 2011 so it's great when somebody new finds it and some of the old posters resurface.

I hope it being bumped back onto the front page gets more to delve back into the mists of time and share their memories.

Hi all.

Just having another attempt to prompt any new forumers who may not be aware of this thread and have recollections of this period to come forward.

Apart from Totley History site this really is the best place to reminisce or ask others for information about those times.

Did you go to Totley County School?

Go to any of the Youth Clubs?

Hang about on Totley Rise or Green Oak Rec?

Live in a prefab?

Do a paper round for Wesley’s or Bonners?

Go in the Fleur or Cross ?

Go train spotting at the Cutting?

Also seeing as it’s the World Cup, do you remember the Swiss team training at Abbeydale Sports in 66 ?

Ok. Over to you

Does anyone remember Strawberry Lee Lane.

Yes and of course it’s still there.

Along Penny Lane and past the Cricket and it’ll take you out on the Moors

Well it’s nearly 10 years since I started this thread and I guess likely posters are getting  a bit thin on the ground now.

My partners daughter moved on to Laverdene last year so it’s been great to be back visiting my old  ‘stomping ground ‘

Some parts are almost just as they were, strangely enough, but it’s amazing how many more houses have been crammed into open spaces. 

It was a shock to see  all the housing off Back Lane that used to be open fields.

Equally a shock was to see that you can get on to Green Oak at the top of Lemont .

Thankfully it still retains a bit of the character that I remember from childhood days .

Anyway. It’s now bumped to the front page again for a while , so if you’ve any memories to share please don’t be shy in coming forward 

Thanks 

I'll try to keep this going for you. 

Moved to Totley around 1960, I was six, and lived on the top section of Green Oak Rd

Used to go in the Fleur and Cross Scythes in the early seventies. Once the bar at the College down Totley Hall Lane was opened we used to go there most weekends.

Can remember that the park was always full of kids playing football, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

Left the area and moved to Nether Edge 1979'ish. Had hoped to move back to Totley around 1982, but to be honest when I went back to look around it never felt the same as it once was so ended up in Dronfield.