Totley in the 50s and 60s

Yes that's correct Dreb.

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 19:39 ----------

The chemical works were operating in the mid 1840's. In the 1950's C.L.Marcroft, building contractors occupied the first floor offices in the Chemical Yard. Down below, Mr.Bradbury had his blacksmith's workshop. As we lived close by on Laverdene Avenue, we used to love to watch him forming red hot metal on his anvil. It was the ideal place to buy sledge irons.Our Totley History Group website gives loads of information about this locality - well worth a visit!!

Hi gregnig. Thought you'd like to know that a combination of searching Totley History Group and the Forum has helped someone trace me and another ex Totley schoolmate for a school reunion.

Some of the contributors to this thread may remember the Hawke family off the Bents. Steward delivered milk round the village and his son Robin went to the same secondary school as me. We were both on a list of 'missing' ex pupils but are now found!

The History Group site is full of fascinating stories and a vast catalogue of photos. I recommend anyone who has any interest in this thread to go on there.

So sorry to hear that the Fleur is being demolished. Let's hope the new houses can be afforded by local Totley people. Remember the bands of the Joe Cocker era and also in more recent times The Acoustic Angels. Their brilliant guitarist Carey Bayliss of course is an old Totleyite and a friend of my brother.

Remember the Hawk family very well as they were one of our close neighbours living on Penny Lane in the Bents. Martin I think was the oldest, Robin was in the same year as me at Totley All Saints, and the youngest was Alan. I have a class school photo with Robin.

Hi, it's interesting the piece about the Hawk family delivering milk, one of my memories was of milk being delivered loose from a churn with a one pint measure into your own jug.Pennina did Martin Hawk live about opposite where Susan Garnett lived also was he in the same class as Marie and Susan .

Hi, it's interesting the piece about the Hawk family delivering milk, one of my memories was of milk being delivered loose from a churn with a one pint measure into your own jug.Pennina did Martin Hawk live about opposite where Susan Garnett lived also was he in the same class as Marie and Susan .

Hi Wrawbyfred. Yes Martin Hawk lived opposite Bank View Farm where Susan lived and was in the same year as Marie and Susan. I don't remember milk being delivered from a churn, we had milk delivered by John and Vera Clarke who lived at what was the old Grouse Beer House at the bottom of Strawberry Lea Lane. Susan Garnetts parents had (I think they were Guernsey cows) and they would occasionally give us the full milk with thick cream on top which we could shake into butter. Our bread was also delivered by a Mr. and Mrs. Hogg and they sometimes had the miniature Hovis brown loaves, delicious. The weekly shop was delivered by Jim Sherwood from Evans shop above Totley School. Despite all this, my mum still had to shop most days as there were five of us kids, and it's a long way from where we lived to the shops.

Do you still live in the area, I can't remember if you said or not.

Hi Pennina, I moved away from Totley in 1976 because of work, at that time we lived on Bushy Wood Road we sold it for about thirteen and a half thousand pounds I guess its worth a bit more than that now. Thank you for the information on Martin Hawk I remember most of the names of that class but his and the person he sat next to eluded me.I now live in north Lincolnshire a place where if you take a wrong turning you stand a good chance of falling off the edge of the world. It's good to hear about people I grew up with.

Talking about the prices of housing back in those days, I bought a Laver house in 1960 and sold it in 2013 for a hundred times more than what I paid for it.

Thanks wrawbyfred.

Christmas Eve 50 years ago.

I'd have been popping into Westleys to see if I'd been left any tips at the shop ( used to do really well at Christmas from my paper round. If you think that my wage was 8/6 and people often gave you two bob or half a crown as a tip it made it 'the most wonderful time of the year ')

I'd probably have bought all my presents by then. I remember the most exotic thing I bought my mum was a Pyrex measuring jug from the hardware shop on Baslow Rd. Took some wrapping up that did.

Would be meeting up later with Youth Club from Totley Rise Methodist to go carol singing at selected houses around the Grove and the Quadrant. Just a gesture really to Mr Scholfield, the leader, as thanks for all the effort he put in to keep the club going through the year.

Plus of course there wasn't that much to do on a cold winters night in Totley if you were under age.

Yes lots of memories really of simpler times and youthful optimism.

So I'll just echo what wrawbyfred said and thank everyone who's contributed so far and hope that there'll be a clutch of new posters next year.

Merry Christmas.

Hi Dreb48. It's odd that I don't remember you in Schoey's carol singing troupe as I thought I had attended every year! One year really sticks in my memory - it was snowing like the clappers and we met the choir from All Saints at the crossroads of Main Avenue and Green Oak. We stood in the middle of the crossroads and all sang together and it sounded wonderful. It was VERY loud with all those voices and not a single miserable sod came out to listen! For my sins I was chairman of Totley Rise Youth Club for a couple of years (well it looked good on early CV's). I especially remember Roy Dyson who assisted Schoey for a while - he always bought the top 10 records out of his own pocket and brought them to Youth Club. He lived at Bradway and died very young.

Hi Bellers, mate. That's funny I don't remember you being there either!

No, seriously, I really couldn't tell you who made up that merry troupe at all. Absolutely no idea. It seems I didn't involve myself as often as I thought then cos I can't remember standing in the middle of the road singing. I can remember it snowing one time but unless I cried off when we got to Green Oak and called it a day I've no recollection.

Roy Dysons names familiar but I can't put a face to it.

Hi, did anyone go to the disco's at the marquis of granby at bamford, i think they were on a friday night.

Went there on a regular basis for a time, well its gone . I don't get to derbyshire to often ,just been having a few days holiday here looking up a few old haunts.Yet another nail in the coffin of youth

Went to marquis a lot in 60s.had my stag party there in 68.

just found your forum and just want to add that my dad had the Fleur de Lys many years ago and he did say he had met Joe cocker when he played in the pub all those years ago. My dad Roy Watson died several years ago but i was born in that pub and have a few memories there although very young i remember setting fire to my hair as a little girl let loose in the pub took a box of chocs a tray and some pop and a candle from behind the bar with a blue straw tassled hat on went to sit on the empty stage and set hat on fire and singed my hair lol.. dad was not pleased lol --:hihi: