Totley in the 50s and 60s

Hi leftin60. If you go on Totley History Groups site under Oral History you'll find someone who lived in the Chemical Yard in the 50s talking about the families that lived there.

It's a while since I listened to it myself but I'm sure it will be of interest to you.

Thomosons butchers did keep pigs in some buildings on the back lane I suppose it would be obout behind their shop, they also kept cattle also in a field up mickley lane near Cherry tree orphanage, at one time they kept highland cattle which escaped on a regular basis I went to their shop a number of times to tell them the cows were out.

On our way back from Derbyshire and pulled in at Totley Rise shops to use the post box.

Very tricky thing to do when you have to negotiate a log jam of vehicles parked at all angles outside the PO. I was trying to explain to my OH that this was once the main road before they built the dual carriageway. She just couldn't visualise it at all. She looked at me as if I was talking about the days of stage coaches !

Hi Adrian. Lost that nickname when I left Totley so when I started the thread hoped somebody might make the connection. That idea started at junior school as you remember. Am surprised no one else has been on that went to Totley County in that period. Remember Burnands pile of abandoned cars at the end of Glover Rd. Think you lived on Marstone Cres at that time. Have you come across anyone else from those times?

Hi Dreb, Thought it was about time I looked at the threads again and yes I do remember you as a couple "Ned and Dreb" always together. I remember for a while we all used to hang around in a group in Green Oak Park and around Totley Rise. Pam Beever, Becky Law, me (Liz) Sid Smith, I think Gillian Coffey from Dronfield also. There were a couple of guys from Dore and I can only remember one, knew him as "Bill Boiler". I remember taking you all back to the Rifle Range once. (got into trouble for that). Happy days.

---------- Post added 18-11-2015 at 16:03 ----------

Hi Dreb, Having the privilage to rant comes to us all as we age!!! I am a few years older than you. Pennina, if you still watch this forum are you Marie Coopers younger sister if so is she well, I was at totley c of e at the same time and wonder from time to time what happned to people, work took me away from totley in the 1970's

Hi there Wrawbyfred, there's no way I can figure out who you are by your name. Yes I am Marie's sister. We live many miles apart now but as with all my sister we keep in touch almost daily and yes she is well. Marie left Totley C of E for King Egberts after passing 11 plus. Her best friend was Susan Garnet who lived at Bank View Farm in Totley Bents. Both were big pals of John Perkington. Would be nice to hear your memories.

Hi pennina. Yep that was us Ned and Dreb. Always together. We both went to King Teds so it was inevitable we were in each other's company most of the time.

I remember your Mick well. Do you remember Rob Jones, Steve Wragg or Stubby? Any of the girls we knocked about with like Janis Bentley or Viv Glentworth?

As a 13 year old I used to deliver papers for Westleys and my Sunday round was around Totley Bents. I can remember getting a nice nip from the dog you had at the rifle range.

Don't worry I've not spent 50 years holding it against you!

Hi pennina. Yep that was us Ned and Dreb. Always together. We both went to King Teds so it was inevitable we were in each other's company most of the time.

I remember your Mick well. Do you remember Rob Jones, Steve Wragg or Stubby? Any of the girls we knocked about with like Janis Bentley or Viv Glentworth?

As a 13 year old I used to deliver papers for Westleys and my Sunday round was around Totley Bents. I can remember getting a nice nip from the dog you had at the rifle range.

Don't worry I've not spent 50 years holding it against you!

Hey Dreb, Sorry about the dog bite. Spoke with Mick and he remembers you very well. He recalled when Fuff had his accident and was in a cast and you all used to go and play cards with him. Also your visits to Miss Trotts girls school...... Neither of us could bring to mind the people you mention except Stubby who was a good friend during our teenage years. He joined the army and became a cook I believe. Would be nice to find out what happened to him and Sid Smith.

Mick went to Art College in Batley, but afterwards, for some reason decided to join the army also. He served in Germany and later in Ireland during the

troubles. He left the army many years ago and went back to the art again. He recently retired after many years as a Screen Printer.

I went into nursing and retired early after nearly 30 years. A number of Totleyites came under my care from time to time, even an old school teacher of mine, which was a bit unreal.

Hi pennina. I've just gone through the whole thread and realise I've been repeating myself and telling the same stories over and over.

I was going to mention the accident that Fuff, Sid and Ned were involved in then realised I'd covered it several times. Wraggy was the other injured passenger that night.

Playing cards? Well yes that about summed up the swinging 60s for our little group. We'd go to parties, find a corner and spend all night playing brag. There'd be stories the following day of wild goings on that we'd completely missed cos of having 2/6 riding on a hand of cards. We weren't really into drinking and the drug scene completely passed Totley by as far I'm aware.

I do have vague recollections of seeing Stubby in khaki now. I also remember that Mick went to Art College.

I realise now,looking back through the thread, that youve asked me about certain people and I've asked you about others. We've mentioned the same names then done it again a few months later all over again !

Also I promise I won't mention the dog bite again as I realise now I'd already mentioned it years ago. Old age, eh ? Grrrr.

Hi pennina. I've just gone through the whole thread and realise I've been repeating myself and telling the same stories over and over.

I was going to mention the accident that Fuff, Sid and Ned were involved in then realised I'd covered it several times. Wraggy was the other injured passenger that night.

Playing cards? Well yes that about summed up the swinging 60s for our little group. We'd go to parties, find a corner and spend all night playing brag. There'd be stories the following day of wild goings on that we'd completely missed cos of having 2/6 riding on a hand of cards. We weren't really into drinking and the drug scene completely passed Totley by as far I'm aware.

I do have vague recollections of seeing Stubby in khaki now. I also remember that Mick went to Art College.

I realise now,looking back through the thread, that youve asked me about certain people and I've asked you about others. We've mentioned the same names then done it again a few months later all over again !

Also I promise I won't mention the dog bite again as I realise now I'd already mentioned it years ago. Old age, eh ? Grrrr.

Hi Dreb, don't worry about repeating yourself. We're supposed to do it at our age, people expect it. There are so many threads now that none of us can remember what was said previously. (Well done you for starting the forum).

Mick has asked me to mention some names to see if they stir any memories. Dick Salt who lived at Owler Bar and Peter Dawson from around the Hillfoot area also Trevor and Hilary Vaughan from Moss Road.

Well here I go again. Sorry if I'm repeating something I may have already said years ago. It's true unfortunately that when a threads been running as long as this (2011) you tend to forget what you've said as new people join it. I keep trying to bump it in the hope that people may have recently joined the forum and have memories for us all to share. Obviously it's great when you come across somebody from all those years ago that remembers you or you have mutual friends. I think that's what most of us in this section are looking for.

Through the forum I've had 2 really close friends that I'd completely lost touch with years ago who've seen me post and have pm'd me and I think that's really great.

Ok. Now I've got that off my chest, pennina, I can honestly say I've no recollection of any of the names your Micks suggested.

I think it really is part of the old Totley v new Totley syndrome.

The people who lived round the Bents and went to C of E School v the prefabers or Totley Risers who more likely went to County School.

I think it was mainly the youth clubs or dances where we'd have been most likely to get together when we were a bit older.

Oh yeah. Obviously hanging around Green Oak Rec or Totley Rise shops would be the other times.

I'm always amazed that I don't know half of the names that are suggested on here that lived there during that era. I'd always thought it was a close community. I'm sure I would know loads by face rather than name.

I just love it though when someone mentions a name from the past that's got completely lost through the fog of time and suddenly you remember them and places and situations that you thought had gone forever.

So please keep posting and everyone else that contributes. It really is worthwhile.

Hi Pennina glad to hear Marie is well I allways have reservations about asking after people after such a long time. I remember Marie and Susan passing 11 plus and going to King Egberts, they must have been about the first new intake, Egberts being a new school. Stubby you refer to was that Roy Stubbs who lived on Totley Hall Lane about opposite the church . It is strange the different school experience children have today, if you passed your 11 plus you were expected to commute to various places around sheffield on public transport non of this moving from one local school to the next . I remember one young lady passed and went to Dronfield and had to catch the train at Dore and Totley station how exotic was that, thinking about it it would have been Carol Squires. Were you taught by Mrs. Peacock what did you think of her, she must have been an exceptional teacher she managed to get me through my 11 plus. School sports day on the green next to the Cricket Inn, some of the strange races, three legged race, slow cycle race, I liked hat one in particular because as a junior it was the only day of the year you could go to school on your cycle.

The floods were in June 1958 . During the aftermath I helped my cousin salvage her belongings from the end cottage in The Chemical Yard. I was off work due to illness at the time and was worried that my photo. would end up in The Star to be seen by my boss!

All the cottages were condemned & demolished except for Ford Cottage which is still there.

hiya,i worked on the council at the time of the floods and the damage it did, there is a row of houses on totley rise and the chap who lived there told us that he heard a crash in the night and got up to investigate and saw his garage and car being swept away, remembering at the bottom of Victoria rd there was a blacksmith, and the bridge at the bottom of mickley lane a car had crashed into and we were sent to replace the stones, anyway we took longer due to the kids knocking the coping stones back into the river, but around that time on hathersage rd a new pipeline was being laid and three weeks later it was still going full bore.

Edited by willybite

Hi, does anyone remember jamjar collecting in the 1950's I have only vague memories of this because I was deemed to young to be collecting glass . What was it for ?, was it a shortage of glass after the war anybody any ideas.